Nugget Shooter Forums

Camping in Greaterville? John B!

Sean in AZ

Hi John B.,

After reading your post about illegals, thought I would ask you if Greaterville is still safe to detect and camp at? I'm headed your way on Sat. morning and plan on staying through till Monday afternoon.

Thanks,

Sean in AZ

Hi Sean

Of all the places I hunt I would say it's about the safest :tisc-tisc: . There are signs up going in warning about the illegals but they and their trash are rare sights there :innocent0009: . The grasses are still pretty thick in most areas but at least there's plenty of cattle and deer working on the problem :chowtime: . I'ld join you and tour you around abit but I'll be fighting illegals and trash closer to the border :fighting0030: !! Your welcome to join us just take a look at the WSPA forum :winking0023: !! If it turns out to be a one day hunt down there maybe I'll bump into you on sunday :shrug: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Hi Sean

Of all the places I hunt I would say it's about the safest :tisc-tisc: . There are signs up going in warning about the illegals but they and their trash are rare sights there :innocent0009: . The grasses are still pretty thick in most areas but at least there's plenty of cattle and deer working on the problem :chowtime: . I'ld join you and tour you around abit but I'll be fighting illegals and trash closer to the border :fighting0030: !! Your welcome to join us just take a look at the WSPA forum :winking0023: !! If it turns out to be a one day hunt down there maybe I'll bump into you on sunday :shrug: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Hey John B.,

I didn't realize the clean up was this weekend. Coming on Saturday, you guys still be there?

• 2 weeks later...

I've camped out at Greaterville several times with no problems. I also talked with some folks who live close and go out there 4 wheeling all the time. They said that they have never had a problem out there. That said, I always carry either my Glock 45 or a Ruger 44 mag when I'm out. Better safe than sorry.

I have a friend that had a claim outside of Julian,CA.. He and his family were working on their claim on a Memorial Day weekend and two guys in a pick up truck drove within about 200 feet of them and started shooting at them. No warning. One bullet just missed his wife by inches. They picked the wrong bunch to shoot at. Good guys score 2, bad guys 0. My friend and his sons killed both of them. It was ruled justifiable by the San Diego County Sheriffs Department. It was something that none of them wanted and was a sad incident. Lucky for them they were well armed and ready for trouble if it came their way. These days you just never know.

John K

Hey Rifleman... I`ve heard things about the Julian Area, and Banner Grade. Not good situations at all ,and it is a very realistic outcome when dealing with crackhead tweaker "prospectors".

I`m glad your friend, and his family survived the incident.

Gilaoro on Rods forum might have some input on that area.

My friend gave up his claim. It was on banner grade. And you are right. The two he had to shoot were white trash tweekers. No great loss as far as I'm concerned.

My friend and I are going to meet up at Quartzsite this next weekend. Hoping for a little color. I'm never come away from Quatrzsite with a lot. But have never been skunked either. We are going to try a new area this week. Wish us luck.

John K