Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone have experience with the Minelab X-Terra 70 ?

I've been hearing good things generally about this detector but is it a good choice, in the GMT and GB2 price range, for meteorite hunting? I know most people recommend the GMT or GB2, but am curious about this detector and wonder if anyone in the forum has experience with it. Thanks.

You might ask Paleface as he owns one and hunts neteorites too, I know I have seen him in the park with it but not in the strewn fields...most of the time I have seen him with a GMT.

Boudins,

I personally hunt meteorites with my Minelab GP3000 and Whites GMT. I use the larger 14" coils as they afford more ground coverage. The 3000 is my primary detector for meteorites, the GMT is secondary. I tested the X-terra70 in an H-chondrite enviroment and it preformed quite well with the 10x5" 18.75 khz DD prospecting coil, however it did not prompt me to displace either the 3000 or the GMT. Weathered L-chondrites are quite a challenge, even with the Whites GM-series. My answer to you would have to include a question, are you hunting for a meteorite detector only, or are you looking for a dual purpose detector? As a good all around unit that will hunt coins, relics, meteorites, gold and is also a good beach detector, the X-terra70 will fit the bill. If you plan to hunt gold and meteorites exclusively, then I would go with the GMT first and the GB2 second. The GM3 is also a very good gold and meteorite detector.

I received your PM, you can consider this my answer. Good luck with any decision that you make.

Jim

Boudins,

I personally hunt meteorites with my Minelab GP3000 and Whites GMT. I use the larger 14" coils as they afford more ground coverage. The 3000 is my primary detector for meteorites, the GMT is secondary. I tested the X-terra70 in an H-chondrite enviroment and it preformed quite well with the 10x5" 18.75 khz DD prospecting coil, however it did not prompt me to displace either the 3000 or the GMT. Weathered L-chondrites are quite a challenge, even with the Whites GM-series. My answer to you would have to include a question, are you hunting for a meteorite detector only, or are you looking for a dual purpose detector? As a good all around unit that will hunt coins, relics, meteorites, gold and is also a good beach detector, the X-terra70 will fit the bill. If you plan to hunt gold and meteorites exclusively, then I would go with the GMT first and the GB2 second. The GM3 is also a very good gold and meteorite detector.

I received your PM, you can consider this my answer. Good luck with any decision that you make.

Jim

Jim,

Many thanks for your response (and to you azdigger) - exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. I'm new to meteorite hunting and am trying to do some research, reading old posts, watching videos, etc., so I don't make a complete fool of myself. I have no interest in beach detecting and don't plan on searching much for relics, so it seems the X-Terra 70 may not be my best choice. I see the GP3000 is quite a machine, but probably beyond my price range, at least for now.

Scott-