Nugget Shooter Forums

Wickieup Area

rockhound87

Hey everybody. hope everyone is doin ok. I was wondering if any of u are familiar with the area right around wickieup? I went down there last weekend, did some metal detecting, some panning, but didnt see much as far as any precious minerals or metals. still had fun though. But there were a lot of mines in this area, and everything around showed signs of past workings, they obviously put in a lot of work in the area? My question is what were they mining for? the tailings and surrounding rock formations, show no indications as to what the major ore was? ive looked for any historical records and cant find any? im sure if I was a little bit better with my geology the answer would be right in front of my face. LOL. any input u have would be great?

Slim:

There's not really much of a market for dendrites like the one shown in the link. If you find a lot of really nice ones and they're easy to collect , I suppose you could save a few. They're not particulary aesthetic and are quite common in some areas. You might be able to get a couple bucks apiece each from a beginning rock and mineral collector or other people as a curio. I doubt they would sell very good on ebay.

In some areas, dendrites have been found in agates which would be worth much more. These dendrites are not always made from manganese minerals. http://www.tucsonshow.com/reports/tucson2001/p8.shtml I think Burro Creek in Az has been known to produce some agates with dendrites.

Steve

Hi Rock Hound and All

McCracken Silver Mine sits on McCracken peak just S/W of Wiekiup (sp?) :shrug: !! That was a very very rich silver mine, downstream from it is a ghost town called Signal that had lots of drywashings for gold nearby , I'm told nuggets as well :confused0013: . I've only done a little look see in that area but some research might yeild some good finds :hmmmmmm: !! Check the land and claim status before hand :smrt1: :POsmiley01: !! Good Luck !! Happy Huntin John B.

Hi Guys:

If you're a rockhound, gold prospector, coin shooter,etc- I would highly recommend getting these county mine maps from the Dept of Mines and Mineral Resources. They are pretty detailed and have lots of valuable information. Very reasonable and worth every penny.

http://www.admmr.state.az.us/Publications/...TY%20MINE%20MAP

Here's a sample

http://www.admmr.state.az.us/Publications/...IndexSample.pdf

Steve

Hi Rock Hound and All

McCracken Silver Mine sits on McCracken peak just S/W of Wiekiup (sp?) :shrug: !! That was a very very rich silver mine, downstream from it is a ghost town called Signal that had lots of drywashings for gold nearby , I'm told nuggets as well :confused0013: . I've only done a little look see in that area but some research might yeild some good finds :hmmmmmm: !! Check the land and claim status before hand :smrt1: :POsmiley01: !! Good Luck !! Happy Huntin John B.

I was actually about 30 miles north of signal. cedar mines rd, granite peak area. and im positive more research would yield better finds. its just a matter of finding the time. anyways though, thanks everybody.