Nugget Shooter Forums

Henbury;N.T.

Hi all , Blindpig here just showing off a few bits I found at Henbury, N.T. Australia as a boy .

Henbury Craters [13] are an awesome sight, you can see how this meteor "fraged" just before impact . The largest crater is 200m X109m and is 15m to 18m deep [probably from several pieces],there are two other craters sharing the same "rim" with the largest .The age of the craters ,[university of Adelaide] " could not be gauged accurately ,but must be a matter of thousands of years old' . I have heard 10,000 to 15,000 ,but ?...

Aboriginal verbal lore [mouth to ear] has named the craters [ I'd say event ] "sun walk fire devil rock" .Thay do not camp or go near the place ,well true up to the 70's ! That's some strong verbal history !

Enjoy the pic's the black roo-poo is a australite / tektite from out-back there ,somewhere ?

Hay , Goldmanmike I've promised you a Henbury ,so pick one out from the bottom row ,I'll keep it in my truck till next time we meet-up . Mike since you have'nt been looking for gold lately how about a name change ? Hmmmmm,what about "Rustyrockmike" :laught16:

Sincerely ; Blindpig a.k.a Joel

post-2606-1199668244_thumb.jpgpost-2606-1199668461_thumb.jpgpost-2606-1199668493_thumb.jpg

Definitely some great looking specimens with a lot of character to them. Looking forward to more pics.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

Nice finds Joel. You get around a bit. I saw your great coin finds on the other forum. Can you tell us more about the Henbury fall. What is the biggest piece discovered?

What type is it? Any more info???

Thanks for sharing

mick

Hay Mick ! yes I have been having some fun with my camera and the forums . I've taken a faw of some mineral specimens thay really look great , I guess I head over there soon [ Rock & Mineral ] .

Back to Henbury , according to D.W.P. Corbett Ph.D in his 1973 revised edition "Meteorites" the largest Henbury is 132 Kilograms .

One story I like to tell from henbury ,is well , let's set the stage , my dad and these other 'YANK'S" are let's say...... a bunch of "rocket scientist" . Now, one of these guy's we'll call Mr. S drives out to the "general" area of Henbury ,parks his landcruser near a vary lonely tree [he's done this 5 or 6 times before ,same darn tree ]. He grabs his detector takes 5 or 6 steps from the landcruser , flips a switch , turn some nobs bob's the coil and the thing won't ground ,now Mr. S. says after a few min.s [i've seen these guy's in action probably 1/2 hr.]. He spins around to his landcruser to 'Fix-it' but wait, it works here ,not 3 foot from there , Hmmmmm...... Well the tail -gate wasn't to far for that 40 lb's

Latter , I'll post a story " Joey goes to Box Hole with the Rocket Scientist " it get's better ! My typen' finger starting to bleed .

Latter All ; Joel

Hay Mick ! yes I have been having some fun with my camera and the forums . I've taken a faw of some mineral specimens thay really look great , I guess I head over there soon [ Rock & Mineral ] .

Back to Henbury , according to D.W.P. Corbett Ph.D in his 1973 revised edition "Meteorites" the largest Henbury is 132 Kilograms .

One story I like to tell from henbury ,is well , let's set the stage , my dad and these other 'YANK'S" are let's say...... a bunch of "rocket scientist" . Now, one of these guy's we'll call Mr. S drives out to the "general" area of Henbury ,parks his landcruser near a vary lonely tree [he's done this 5 or 6 times before ,same darn tree ]. He grabs his detector takes 5 or 6 steps from the landcruser , flips a switch , turn some nobs bob's the coil and the thing won't ground ,now Mr. S. says after a few min.s [i've seen these guy's in action probably 1/2 hr.]. He spins around to his landcruser to 'Fix-it' but wait, it works here ,not 3 foot from there , Hmmmmm...... Well the tail -gate wasn't to far for that 40 lb's

Latter , I'll post a story " Joey goes to Box Hole with the Rocket Scientist " it get's better ! My typen' finger starting to bleed .

Latter All ; Joel

:laught16:

...even a blindpig...

Good story Joel. Thanks for sharing.

mick

Hi Steve , I hadn't been down there since '78 [my dad has ,] .I do remember that in the early-mid. 70's the immediate area around the craters [ perhaps a few Sq. miles ] became a "state" park [closed to M.D.] . Although many pieces ,usually larger [10lb's +] well the ones's you 'll hear about , have been found several mile's away from the craters .

Sincerly ; Joel