Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia 2Jan08

Hi gang, well I finally made down to Franconia and linked up with Stan and Del last night. We chatted about their finds and the field and our plans to hunt in the morning, staying warm around the fire. I was up at 0600 and left to hunt by 0630, thinking I would again link-up with them on the North side. But I never saw them. Sorry guys. So, I hunted off the beaten path and ended up finding three meteorites. Two chondrites and an iron. The neat thing about these finds is that they were all with-in a 30 foot radius. The two chondrites actually fit together, but the iron is the mystery :hmmmmmm: . I left by 2pm and had a great day. Minus the sore back and shoulder :banged: ...Enjoy, Jason :;):

Weights:

1st piece - 32.6gr

2nd piece- 18.3gr

Iron- 1.6gr

post-1008-1199336494_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1199336505_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1199336518_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1199336529_thumb.jpg

Jason,

Wtg, puzzle pieces are always a delight to find, gives a fellow time to stop and ponder just what happen. Did it hit something solid and break in half, did mother nature and a couple wild burro stompings do the trick, did it separate while it was still a meteor, right before it became a meteorite.

Does that little iron have the gun metal blue crust ?

Jim

Jim, it does have the gun metal bluing on the clean side. Plus it has five (5) impact craters on it as well. I'll see about getting some close up pics in the morning. As for the puzzle pieces, those are definitely fun for sure. Jason :;):

Nice finds Jason, especially for just a couple of hours. We finally got going around 8am and hit our way out spot about 10am. Kept on having major problems with my Goldmax sierra coil so I sweitched with Del and used his for the last day. HOT darn!! I am definitely sending my coil back to Whites for repair or replacement. False signals up the wazoo!!!!!!!!!!! :grrr01:

Got me two small chrondites and an iron on my last day. Rough week especially when you have a coil that is not working correctly.

Will be posting some pics once Del gets his done. Had a total of 407.3 grams of chrondites and like Del I misplaced my irons somewhere again.

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi

Jim, it does have the gun metal bluing on the clean side. Plus it has five (5) impact craters on it as well. I'll see about getting some close up pics in the morning. As for the puzzle pieces, those are definitely fun for sure. Jason :;):

Wow, 5 impacts. That had to have come out of the upper level breakup, there seem to be more well defined impacts on the irons that show a gun metal surface. Soak it in some mild soap and water and you may be able to flake off any stubborn caliche residue.

Jim

Jim, here are the pics of that iron. I know I counted five, one of them is filled with caliche I think. But here are the other ones, two on the top and two on the bottom. Jason :;):

post-1008-1199559345_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1199559354_thumb.jpg

Jason,

That is one neat little iron. A fine addition to any collection. It is not often that you see that many impacts on one piece, and to be that distinct. I sure would not want to have been anywhere near that little iron when things were happening. One sure way to look like swiss cheese. :Huh_anim]: :laught16:

Good photo's.

Jim