Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia Hunt finds-listings

Woof!! What a tough weekend for most of us out in the field. Some hunters found stuff right away while others took a longer time to get over any irons or chrondites.

As for me here are my finds for the weekend:

First Day: 9.0 gram - 8.7 gram - 6.3 gram

Second day: 3.0 gram - 2.3 gram - 10.9 gram - 17.9 gram

Third LOOOOONG day: 12.0 gram - 10.7 gram - 31.7 gram

Took me about an hour for the first one of the weekend and my last one (31.7gr.) was found a couple of minutes before 5PM as I told Del I wanted to hunt just ONE more spot before heading back to the Jeep. Whew! Glad I stopped at this area. The 31.7 grammer a couple inches below ground and at first I thought it also was a "hot rock".

Also found four nice little irons which are somewhere in my jeep and wont be found until I clear out all my gear. Will post the pics of them later. Here are the chrondites tho.

Okay guys, lets see some of your finds for the weekend.

BTW, I really enjoyed this outing and hopefully we can plan on one when it gets a little warmer. Had a great time and met some very nice and knowledgeable people this time around. We even got to swap some info and stories around the campfire.

Mahalo and Aloha all,

Stan aka Kaimi

post-1619-1197911053_thumb.jpg

Finally found my five irons sitting in the bottom of my backpack. Here are my weekend iron finds:

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

post-1619-1197925705_thumb.jpg

Stan, nice haul!!! I like Ruben's pics on his site, a nice 209 gr. in about 15 mins. is what I think I read...just goes to show one never really loses their touch. Really hated to miss that one, but other family things were already in the works. Glad everyone had a good time. I'll be down there after the New Year...Jason :;):

Getting real hard to find anything out there unless you hit some new spots or even go back to some old ones and really "hammer" it low and slow. Wait till you see the finds that Del shows. He ran into one spot. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: ! It is all gone for sure now.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

Alright gentlmen, here's my take for the weekend-

16 Chondrites- 0.4g, 0.6g, 0.7g (2), 1g, 1.1g, 1.6g, 2.3g, 4.1g, 5.7g, 6.3g, 6.6g, 7.9g, 12.6g, 27.7g, and a 32.4grammer; all totalling 111.7 grams

20 Irons- 5.2 grams total

36 finds totalling 116.9 grams

Had another blast again guys! Met a lot of people and had a great time around the campfire.

Stan- Excellent finds :whoopie: I do believe this is the most finds you've made in a three day run right? Thanks again buddy, the steak and lobster rocked (as always). I hope you don't call it quits for a few months like you said, there's still alot of fun times to be had out there!

Ruben- Nice to finally meet you! I can only hope everybodies contribution gave you enough footage to make a great video. I look forward to seeing the video and reading the articles you write up about this weekend. I just got my subscription to meteorite times, so I'll be looking for the story. Thanks for the hunting tips too!

Jim- Thanks for the campfire talk and the tips. I really appreciate people like you that are willing to help us newbies out. The pictures I got of your sampling drywasher turned out pretty good. I'll be modeling it up soon, so I will probably be shooting you a pm soon to get a little bit more information.

Mike and Paul- It was a pleasure to meet you two! Thanks for the tips on swinging a GP. If you guys wouldn't mind, I'd love the opportunity to tag along with you two sometime out in the field so I can continue to learn more. I'm down to go out anytime just shoot me a PM if your up for it.

Nate- I hate to see that you came home skunked. I know it sucks, but don't let it bother you because we've all been there.

Thanks to everyone else, I met some great people and had a fun time. :whoopie:

Del

post-890-1197951289_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951338_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951380_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951470_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951512_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951551_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951584_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951608_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951633_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951657_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951684_thumb.jpg

post-890-1197951705_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of my in-situ pics taken while I still had the energy to carry a camera. :banged:

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

post-1619-1197957645_thumb.jpg

post-1619-1197957680_thumb.jpg

post-1619-1197957729_thumb.jpg

Nice finds, Stan...Can you or someone explain the cubes used in the meteorite photos...I know they are anodized aluminum and have directional references on them, but beyond that I'm totally confused....Cheers, Unc

Nice finds, Stan...Can you or someone explain the cubes used in the meteorite photos...I know they are anodized aluminum and have directional references on them, but beyond that I'm totally confused....Cheers, Unc

Hey Ron, they're called 1 cm scaled cubes and they are used for figuring out the general size of something in pictures. It's pretty much the same thing as using a quarter or dime.

Del

Hey Del,

Did you extend that sweet spot that I told you about??? OR find another one. All in all, I think that most everyone had a good time and a poke full of star rocks was found.

I know one thing, I put a couple more miles on these ole legs than I should have. Was worth it tho, finding that little un-touched pocket of irons was fun. Finding them again at the picture taking session was also fun, expecially when the one signal turned out to be a chondrite that someone must have lost at a past outing. Spilling a handfull of irons into the dirt is not a problem, spilling them onto desert pavement and then re-locating and retrieving them is more of a challenge. They bounced everywhere.

My take for the day and 1/2 that I hunted was............7 chondrites weighing 234.3 grams and 42 irons weighing 10.3 grams. Total weight for the outing.....244.6 grams. My biggest chondrite was 143.7 grams, the biggest iron was 1.6 grams.

I hunted down by I-40 on the east side of Buck Mt. wash for awhile Sunday, picked up 3 chondrites. Dropped off into Buck Mt. wash and spent several hours working an area that should have some rather large pieces, judging from the throw pattern. Forget detecting that wash as there is a very large variety of metal targets to be found. Digging 1 1/2 to 2 feet deep for tire rims, oil cans, leaf springs and just about anything that could be dumped by the many people that used Old Trails Road in the old days, is just not fun. :PO2: If your into that kind of fun, stick close to the tracks and hunt for train wreck parts... :icon_mrgreen:

The food was great, Them Kit fox down there are gaining weight. Stan, the steak was fantastic, where the heck was the lobster hidden? I went back to the trailor for my plate and the ribs and when I got back to the campfire, there was no lobster, it must have been consumed that fast. :laught16:

Nate, You will score when you least expect it. Try holding your mouth a little different next trip.

I am heck on names, but sure did enjoy meeting so many new meteorite hunters and visiting with old acquaintances. Mike and Paul are always full of good stories and tips. Sure hope that your batteries got enough charge as the light was still red at 7:30 A.M. Sun. morn.

Jim

Hey all,

It was a fun hunt. Out of about 25 people that I shook hands with I think I knew only 3. I only hunted for about an hour and then let newbie Jim (Hawk) use my detector. I wasn't worried though as I found the first and largest of the day within about 15 minutes of hunting. It was a 208 gram chondrite that was burried about 4-6 inches.

like I said before my main mission wasn't to find meteorites anyway it was to film and take notes for 2 videos and an article. Between my son Benjamin and me we took over 200 pics and lots of video.

I enjoyed meeting everyone but missed Jason, Ben and Erik!

I'll dissapear for a few weeks to work on the videos and article...Keep an eye out as the first video will be post around Jan 7th

What a great outing, great weather and some very great people! Next time I'll bring my V-sat! The old whites spectrum did'nt like those hot rocks. Lets go again, I'm ready at a moments notice! My haul for the weekend was meeting some very nice people and oh yeah, I did find 21 irons but they were covered in copper? and nearly all identical in shape and size? kinda looked like bullets! (franconia fifties!)

Some great finds were found and theres more to be found out there with some work. But i'm always up for a good challenge.

Still freezing up here in northern utah

Todd

Did you extend that sweet spot that I told you about??? OR find another one.

Hi Jim, yeah Stan and I hunted a little bit south of there for a while (I'm sure you saw us?) before we both realised we weren't equiped for hunting small irons. I should have put my little Joey coil on and I think Stan should have been using his stock coil instead of his Sierra Gold Max coil for that area . We left both coils back at camp so we decided to hunt elsewhere. So I found another place to hunt. As for expanding that area, I'll tell you what Jim, I've got a couple weeks off (still don't know what I'm gonna do!) starting at the end of this week and I'll be happy to come out there and help you expand it. Just shoot me a PM if your interested and we'll set something up.

I've been focusing on learning how to place myself in "favorable conditions" and I think I'm finally starting to put it all together. I really have to thank Ben and Erik on my success this trip because they both taught me a few techniques that really helped. I remember a little while back Ben almost smacked me on the head about the importance of gridding. Well I have to say gridding is what really paid off for me this time. I first found that 27 grammer, then I proceeded to start carefully gridding out from there and I managed to pluck a total of 6 chondrites in the span of an hour in an area of about 30' x 30'. So Gridding really paid off this time!

My take for the day and 1/2 that I hunted was............7 chondrites weighing 234.3 grams and 42 irons weighing 10.3 grams. Total weight for the outing.....244.6 grams. My biggest chondrite was 143.7 grams, the biggest iron was 1.6 grams.

Jim I do believe this is the first time I've seen you report your finds. Is it? Thanks for the report, seeing numbers like that motivates me to hunt more!

I enjoyed meeting everyone but missed Jason, Ben and Erik!

Yeah Ruben I was really hoping to see the Ben and the kid out there too. I was a little shocked to not see them when I woke up on sturday. I'm pretty sure Jason's aniversary was that weekend so there was NO WAY he was coming out. Oh well another time guys.

Del

What a great outing, great weather and some very great people! Next time I'll bring my V-sat! The old whites spectrum did'nt like those hot rocks. Lets go again, I'm ready at a moments notice! My haul for the weekend was meeting some very nice people and oh yeah, I did find 21 irons but they were covered in copper? and nearly all identical in shape and size? kinda looked like bullets! (franconia fifties!)

Some great finds were found and theres more to be found out there with some work. But i'm always up for a good challenge.

Still freezing up here in northern utah

Todd

Hi Todd, it was nice meeting you guys. I wanted to let you two know that the north side is a Wilderness area and you can't drive motorized vehicles around up there. Stan and I saw you guys driving your truck (red dodge right?) around on the hills which is forbidden. Please don't do this the next time out there because with all the environmental nonsense crap happening right now all it takes is one person to mess it up for the rest of us.

It was my fault for not telling you two that it was a wilderness area when Stan and I where briefing you two on the area. Just do us all a favor and remember next time you will have to hike on the north side and not drive around. Thanks

Del

Yo Paleface,

Hey Jim, I haven't had the chance to pick up any meteorites for a month and I'm starting to get edgy (my wife even admits I need to "get out"). Please post some pictures of your finds so I don't go off the deep end. It sounds like you did pretty good at the outing and I'm dying to see what you've found. We'd have been there but, Erik couldn't get anyone to cover his shift ( yes, he's got an after-school job now, so we're both working stiffs). We really miss talking meteorites with you and the gang by the campfire after a hard day's hunt. Which coil were you using when you found your largest stone?

Ben

Yo Paleface,

Hey Jim, I haven't had the chance to pick up any meteorites for a month and I'm starting to get edgy (my wife even admits I need to "get out"). Please post some pictures of your finds so I don't go off the deep end. It sounds like you did pretty good at the outing and I'm dying to see what you've found. We'd have been there but, Erik couldn't get anyone to cover his shift ( yes, he's got an after-school job now, so we're both working stiffs). We really miss talking meteorites with you and the gang by the campfire after a hard day's hunt. Which coil were you using when you found your largest stone?

Ben

Ben,

Unfortunately I am still unable to post pictures with this relic computer.......New one is sitting here and hope to have it up and running after the first of the year. I think Rubin got some pictures of my finds at the camp shoot around.

Yes, I can imagine that you are having withdrawl symptons, not getting out in the field. We missed you and Erik.

I was using the NF 14" E-Mono on my GP3000. Used the pocket rocket, sure do like that battery system. Allows me to carry a few more snacks into the field, not that I need them....

Jim

Del,

Not being able to post pictures takes away from reporting what a person finds. I do the same with gold, would sure like to have posted a few pictures of this years finds.

That Joey coil doesn`t weigh much, probably would be a good idea to carry it in your pack when going way out there. I throw my little NF 5x9 in the pack just in case. Extra battery, extra coil........

Yes, it pays to grid everytime you cut a desired target. Especially at Gold Basin. When your getting the small chondrites, really scrub the ground, every inch counts on those little buggers.

I have a bunch of Dr. Appts and year end items to take care of, going to be out of the hills for at least 3 weeks or more. Good luck if you go back out there.

Jim

Hi Todd, it was nice meeting you guys. I wanted to let you two know that the north side is a Wilderness area and you can't drive motorized vehicles around up there. Stan and I saw you guys driving your truck (red dodge right?) around on the hills which is forbidden. Please don't do this the next time out there because with all the environmental nonsense crap happening right now all it takes is one person to mess it up for the rest of us.

It was my fault for not telling you two that it was a wilderness area when Stan and I where briefing you two on the area. Just do us all a favor and remember next time you will have to hike on the north side and not drive around. Thanks

Del

Hi Del,

I found that out after the fact, your right, we don't want to mess things up. We were just following other tracks. Glad nothing happened but it wont happen again at least by us.

Looking forward to another outing. Maybe spring or sometime.

Now it's snowing up here!

Todd

Had a great time out there with you guys. Nice to have met you all, and love the story's around the camp fire(always fun).

found a 88g and a 7.2g chondrite. 1.6g iron and a .6g iron on Saturday on the north side.

Hit the south side on Sunday and found a 55g chondrite.

Paul found a 300g+ chondrite on the south :bowdown:

going to be hunting the south side some more :icon_mrgreen: :laught16:

Mike

post-1536-1198192259_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1198192421_thumb.jpg

Mike, you guys never cease to amaze me!!!! WTG on the finds and past that along to Paul as well. I really wanted to make it, but was our 17th Wedding Anniversary, so you know how that goes. I taking off the first week in Jan. and plan a day to go hunting. Congrats again... Jason :;):

Had a great time out there with you guys. Nice to have met you all, and love the story's around the camp fire(always fun).

found a 88g and a 7.2g chondrite. 1.6g iron and a .6g iron on Saturday on the north side.

Hit the south side on Sunday and found a 55g chondrite.

Paul found a 300g+ chondrite on the south :bowdown:

going to be hunting the south side some more :icon_mrgreen: :laught16:

Mike

Way to go guys, congrats on your finds those are beauties! :whoopie:

Well that settles it..... Paul scored the biggest find of the weekend and it's from the south side....... :bowdown: It's nice to hear the south side can still produce. I think I might head out there and give it a try again, any suggestions or tips?

It was a pleasure meeting you two, enjoyed the campfire talk and such. Hey if you two wouldn't mind somebody tagging along with you sometime hit me up I'm down for hunting anytime.

Congrats!

Del