Nugget Shooter Forums

Might have found my first

I beeped a spot that Jim had pointed me to on saturday. The first time I passed over the rock I am suspecting of being a meteorite I thought "HOT ROCK "! In fact after kicking it and throwing it towards my buddy to look at it dawned on me that the weight was quite a bit and I walked up and it jumped to my large magnet! With the size of the rock I was shocked that it sprung so readily. The second I have pics I will post them.

Jim this rock is as large as many you carryin your case :) I about died when I realised I had thrown it in disgust. Needless to say by the time I had realised what I probably had I was wrapping it in toilet paper to pad it for the ride back in my pocket LOL.

Heres to hoping I am correct that I have me my first space rock!

Gordon

I beeped a spot that Jim had pointed me to on saturday. The first time I passed over the rock I am suspecting of being a meteorite I thought "HOT ROCK "! In fact after kicking it and throwing it towards my buddy to look at it dawned on me that the weight was quite a bit and I walked up and it jumped to my large magnet! With the size of the rock I was shocked that it sprung so readily. The second I have pics I will post them.

Jim this rock is as large as many you carryin your case :) I about died when I realised I had thrown it in disgust. Needless to say by the time I had realised what I probably had I was wrapping it in toilet paper to pad it for the ride back in my pocket LOL.

Heres to hoping I am correct that I have me my first space rock!

Gordon

Congrats! I hope it is. I got a good laugh out of your post. A meteorite comes in from outer space traveling at several thousand miles per hour. It starts to burn up in the atmosphere and then explodes into thousands of pieces and crashes into the desert floor. It lies there for a couple of thousand years in the sun, wind and rain. Then one day you come along and find it and after deciding it's not a meteorite you throw it in disgust. After surviving all of that you realize it is actually a meteorite and wrap it in toilet paper so it doesn't get damaged in your pocket.. You must carry some serious stuff in your pockets...LOL

I'm laughing because I've done the same thing.

mick

I do believe its a meteorite I am just trying to make shure I dont cry wolf. My buddy came buy and toc some good pics so im hoping to post those at least by tonight.

I have spent the last couple days catching upp on sleep and just recuperating. I have gone back and looked at all my specamins of magnetite, Hematite to make shure what I found was not these minerals and I can say that no my rock is neither :) I measurred it at 3 inches long by 2 wide and 2 high and its HEAVY and it takes a lot to just pul it off the magnet.

Having looked at it through jemewlers goggles I hava enoticed some odd things that im unfamiliar with. After I post the pics I will comment on it should everyone feel its a meteorite.

Gordon

I do believe its a meteorite I am just trying to make shure I dont cry wolf. My buddy came buy and toc some good pics so im hoping to post those at least by tonight.

I have spent the last couple days catching upp on sleep and just recuperating. I have gone back and looked at all my specamins of magnetite, Hematite to make shure what I found was not these minerals and I can say that no my rock is neither :) I measurred it at 3 inches long by 2 wide and 2 high and its HEAVY and it takes a lot to just pul it off the magnet.

Having looked at it through jemewlers goggles I hava enoticed some odd things that im unfamiliar with. After I post the pics I will comment on it should everyone feel its a meteorite.

Gordon

If you were out at Franconia and Jim was pointing, then I'm sure you have the real deal. If you have trouble posting a pic shoot me a PM and I will resize it for you and send it back. Look forward to the pics.

mick

OK HERE SHE IS :) Posative vibes..........introducing my 340 gram first find :) so let me know what you guys think!

Boy I hope this is goig to be a space rock

I have 10 other pics of the rock. If you look just to the right of the crack that runs through it you will see a small series of crystals that tok me by suprise with the goggles. I dont know anything about these or what they would be. Cant wait to show someone that knows a little more than me:)

Gordon

PS if you look at the little speck to the right of the rock its one of the crystals that fell off. I dont think you can see it clearly. I a going to use a extreamly strong magnifier to get better pics of the clear things in the rock later.

OK HERE SHE IS :) Posative vibes..........introducing my 340 gram first find :) so let me know what you guys think!

Boy I hope this is goig to be a space rock

I have 10 other pics of the rock. If you look just to the right of the crack that runs through it you will see a small series of crystals that tok me by suprise with the goggles. I dont know anything about these or what they would be. Cant wait to show someone that knows a little more than me:)

Gordon

PS if you look at the little speck to the right of the rock its one of the crystals that fell off. I dont think you can see it clearly. I a going to use a extreamly strong magnifier to get better pics of the clear things in the rock later.

Gordon,

That sure looks like the real Mccoy, take a file and create a little window so that you can get a peek at the interior. You should see a bunch of shiny metal specks right away if it is a meteorite. One thing that bothers be though, you say that there are some crystals on the specimen. That would indicate that it is not a meteorite. I could not blow your picture up to get a good look at it.

Create the window where it will not take away from the overall good looks of the specimen. The color is right, the salt wedging cracks are typical of Franconia area material. Sure hope that you have a keeper there

Jim

Thats what I figure Ill do is show someone and let them hold it.In fact i am hoping to ship it to get the final answer. The thing is is I dont know what this rock would be should it be of this earth.

Like I said I walked for 2-3 hours gridding the area I was in to see if there was anything else in the area to see if there was anything that even resembled it and found nothing. Hey Jim I was at the ridge were the two trees were you pointed out.in fact i found it at the top of the ridge.I am going to upload one of the other pics hoping tht someone might be able to identify it.Plus the thing I amworried about is that im describing it wrong.I am afraid i am using the desciption of crystals wrong. With that I will wait to have it seen in the flesh :)

Gordon

Thanks for all the replies

Thats what I figure Ill do is show someone and let them hold it.In fact i am hoping to ship it to get the final answer. The thing is is I dont know what this rock would be should it be of this earth.

Like I said I walked for 2-3 hours gridding the area I was in to see if there was anything else in the area to see if there was anything that even resembled it and found nothing. Hey Jim I was at the ridge were the two trees were you pointed out.in fact i found it at the top of the ridge.I am going to upload one of the other pics hoping tht someone might be able to identify it.Plus the thing I amworried about is that im describing it wrong.I am afraid i am using the desciption of crystals wrong. With that I will wait to have it seen in the flesh :)

Gordon

Thanks for all the replies

Hey MookieStick. Hang on to it and follow Jim's instrucitons and file a window in it. If not go back out and keep at it.

On another note, Bill has been struggling with having enough storage space on the forum. The one thing that uses the most space is pictures. It would be very helpful to Bill (and all of us) if you would resize your pictures before you post. I'm not picking on you (you seem like a nice guy, plus how can you hammer on a guy named MookieStick). There are many others who post pictures full size right out of the camera. I've been wanting to write a tutorial on how to do that but with Christmas shopping, work and building a new WSPA web site I've had my hands full. I'll get to it next week when life returns to normal. In the meantime, here is a quick overview.

The 2 pictures you posted were 1.53 mb and 1.59 mb. That equals about 3,120K. I have posted the same 2 pictures below that have been resized to 640 x 427 and the total size of both is 90K. That means the resized photos are 35 times smaller than the 2 that have not been resized. That's quite a difference.

There are many programs that will do that but one easy online program is http://www.shrinkpictures.com

You can select a smaller size and do if for free. That will help Bill save space and any members who are on dial up will be able to download your pics a whole lot easier.

Anyway, nice rock..good luck

mick

Here are the 2 resized pics. The quality is still good enough to see what they are clearly.

post-592-1198088591_thumb.jpg

post-592-1198088613_thumb.jpg

Well, the second picture appears to have quartz inclusions which would, I think, make the rock earthly not extra terrestrial...I would not ship any whole rock to anyone if I thought I had the real-thing...they only need a few grams to test...I think you will know the truth and it will be free, if you follow Jim's suggestion.

Fred

If one of the moderators wants to deleate the first pic i posted pleas ego ahead. I have no ability to edit proir post by me in the tthread.

I generly only leave pics posted in forums a couple days or more to get the job done. I am pretty up on the limited storage space you get when you run a forum you rent .

I guess Ill wait till I get back into az to show someone.

Thanks everyone for the info!although the rock looks good but I have nticed a fw things that trouble me about it.

That first picture looks like it might have the texture and color, but not the shape, so that one's questionable. The second pic, I would say heck no. With pictures it's really hard to say, so follow Jim's instructions. One thing I've learned about identifying meteorites- If you have a "well.... maybe.... it's hard to say" it probably isn't one because when you find one there's no question what it is!

Another thing you can do is find somebody selling a nice 30 grammer Franconia and buy it from them then compare it to yours.

You don't need to send it in, there's no point. There's plenty of people on this forum that can help you identify it.

Del

If one of the moderators wants to deleate the first pic i posted pleas ego ahead. I have no ability to edit proir post by me in the tthread.

I generly only leave pics posted in forums a couple days or more to get the job done. I am pretty up on the limited storage space you get when you run a forum you rent .

I guess Ill wait till I get back into az to show someone.

Thanks everyone for the info!although the rock looks good but I have nticed a fw things that trouble me about it.

Hey MookieStick, I'm not banging on you. There are lots of folks who do the same thing with pictures. No worries. If you click on My Controls at the top of the page it will take you to the control panel. On the left side of the page under Options there is place that says "Manage Attachments" If you click on that you can delete anything you want.

I'm glad you posted the pics so we could see them. Paseclipse is right, if you are in doubt it probably isn't a space rock. So just go back out and hit that area Jim pointed you to. Good luck

mick

Gordon,

I have to agree with the rest of the fellows after getting a good view of the pictures. Thanks to Mick for re-sizing. I could not even enlarge the first posts. The second picture that you posted is definitely not a meteorite. You stated that it is highly magnetic and jumped to the magnet. I would bet that you will get a dark grey streak on the underside of your toilet bowl lid. Here is a link to explain the streak test. Go to the bottom of the link and click on (This and This) for an in depth discription of meteor-wrongs and meteorites. Go down to Hematite and Magnetite, click on picture number 032, that is probably what you have... Dang, I was pulling for you, but wishing just doesn't make it so. Do not mail it off

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/streak.htm

Jim

Gordon,

I have to agree with the rest of the fellows after getting a good view of the pictures. Thanks to Mick for re-sizing. I could not even enlarge the first posts. The second picture that you posted is definitely not a meteorite. You stated that it is highly magnetic and jumped to the magnet. I would bet that you will get a dark grey streak on the underside of your toilet bowl lid. Here is a link to explain the streak test. Go to the bottom of the link and click on (This and This) for an in depth discription of meteor-wrongs and meteorites. Go down to Hematite and Magnetite, click on picture number 032, that is probably what you have... Dang, I was pulling for you, but wishing just doesn't make it so. Do not mail it off

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/streak.htm

Jim

Right on that link helped a ton. The verdict is Magnetite:( Blasted! I filed a window to looked at it and my heart sank. I had seen a window that someone probably you showed me before and it didnt quite look like that. The thing that realy threw me was the way the top looked with the weather pattern. I also found no other rocks in the area that resembled the top or the bottom. Having handled both magnetite and hemetite I am just sitting here in disgust now. I have to say that this is by far the most beutiful piece for me to find.

Hey Mick no I Im not pouting :) well at least not about what you posted LOL

Thanks everyone for the time you took to respond. The more input the better.

Gordon

Right on that link helped a ton. The verdict is Magnetite:( Blasted! I filed a window to looked at it and my heart sank. I had seen a window that someone probably you showed me before and it didnt quite look like that. The thing that realy threw me was the way the top looked with the weather pattern. I also found no other rocks in the area that resembled the top or the bottom. Having handled both magnetite and hemetite I am just sitting here in disgust now. I have to say that this is by far the most beutiful piece for me to find.

Hey Mick no I Im not pouting :) well at least not about what you posted LOL

Thanks everyone for the time you took to respond. The more input the better.

Gordon

That's good. I just wanted to help and am glad I didn't offend you. Too bad about your find. I was hoping it would be. You know where to go so get back out there and give it another shot. Good luck

mick