was a "Mass Meteorite Hunt".... I met at least 25

people on Saturday most of which I met for the first

time. Many of us found some very elusive Franconia

space rocks.

I didn’t swing my detector for very long as my mission

was to film for meteorite-times and take notes for an

article on the mass hunt. I did get some great video

of some very cool finds made by Stan, Del, Jim

(Smaller), Mike, Paul, Billy and Myself.

Unfortunately, many of the newbie’s didn’t find

anything on Saturday. That's the way it goes....

Franconia meteorites are a little harder to find in

late 2007 than 2003 when I last visited the area.

Here are a few pictures from this weekend. I apologize

for the large picture files but I took 3 MG pics for

the article.

http://www.mr-meteorite.com/massfranconiahunt.htm

Ruben Garcia

Phoenix, Arizona

http://www.mr-meteorite.com

Hi all,

Just back from a great weekend hunt at Franconia! This

was a "Mass Meteorite Hunt".... I met at least 25

people on Saturday most of which I met for the first

time. Many of us found some very elusive Franconia

space rocks.

I didn’t swing my detector for very long as my mission

was to film for meteorite-times and take notes for an

article on the mass hunt. I did get some great video

of some very cool finds made by Stan, Del, Jim

(Smaller), Mike, Paul, Billy and Myself.

Unfortunately, many of the newbie’s didn’t find

anything on Saturday. That's the way it goes....

Franconia meteorites are a little harder to find in

late 2007 than 2003 when I last visited the area.

Here are a few pictures from this weekend. I apologize

for the large picture files but I took 3 MG pics for

the article.

http://www.mr-meteorite.com/massfranconiahunt.htm

Ruben Garcia

Phoenix, Arizona

http://www.mr-meteorite.com

Thanks Ruben. nice job. I'll check out more of the pics when I get to work. I have a faster conneciton there. Did you shoot some video too???

mick

Hey Mick,

Ya, there will be a 10 or 12 minute video featuring the meteorite finds of Stan, Del, Billy, Mike, Paul, Jim and more...

Thanks Ruben. I look forward to it. Not surprised Paul had the hot coil. When he gets in the groove, he knows how to score.

mick

Ruben,

It was a pleasure to finally meet you and your son. I enjoyed the conversations and short hunt time at the filming area. Just had to get away from the crowd and go stomp a few of my less hunted area's.

Especially enjoyed listening to your stories about your Glorieta Mtn. meteorite hunts, and your dry lake experiences. Nice bunch of pictures. Looking forward to the video.

Jim

Hey Jim,

It was nice that everyone- you included- treated me like a long lost friend. It was also cool of you to show me your giant iron collection -you have found a few!

You made some very nice finds on Saturday as did many others. You are definately a wealth of knowledge whether we were talking metal detectors or meteorites!

Thanks again,

Ruben Garcia

Hi Ruben I just wanted to say it was an absolute pleasure meeting you and thank you for the opportunity to be in your video. Congratulations on that gorgeous 208 grammer! Just goes to show what an experienced hand is capable of doing in a small amount of time. I look forward to the day when I can pluck meteorites like that!

I gotta thank you and Jim on your find because I remember Jim telling me "Del... you see where he's hunting!" then he proceeded to elaborate on it. Well I put the advice you guys gave me to work and I was successful because I popped out that 27 grammer for your video in little time.

I had a look at the pictures on your website and they came out pretty good. Your boy is a great photographer! I'm really looking forward to seeing the video and reading the articles.

Until next time,

Del

Hi all,

I've been viewing the footage and it looks like there will be two 8 minute videos. The first will feature finds by Del, Paul, Billy and Myself, with Nate, Stan, Rick and others thrown in. The second will Feature finds by Mike, Jim, Stan and Billy with wife and also include the group pictures! Everyone that found something will be included as well as a couple of newbies that got skunked.

Aloha Ruben,

It was great to finally meet you and see you in action. I am looking forward to seeing the video and your articles. They should only generate some new activity out at Franconia which will mean that we all had better get in gear and start hitting them little spots we have been hoarding.

Looks like I will be having some extra time off till the end of the year so I may go back for a day or two to grid some areas I have been passing over my past two trips.

Hopefully an outing can be planned for March 2008 that will be a follow up to this outing. Should be fascinating to see how much interest is generated after your videos are out.

Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka and a Hauoli Makahiki Hou!

Stan aka Kaimi

Hey Stan,

Ya, I didn't do much other than get lucky and swing where others missed. You all did very well though! I counted aleast 8 of the newbies that didn't find anything but sore muscles. A few never did quite get the hang of it, but it does take some time to really understand their machines as well a recognize the many signals out there.....

The other problem is that a newbie really needs to understand where meteorites are likely to be and not just go out and wander around.

Maybe I'll show in march too....

The other problem is that a newbie really needs to understand where meteorites are likely to be and not just go out and wander around. Maybe I'll show in march too....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ruben, It was great chatting with you again. I want to thank you for sharing your knowledge and also letting me borrow your detector. In Springtime I'll have a better detector and more knowledge... 2008 will be my year, I'll find those little (or Big) rascals....

Merry Christmas and happy Holiday's to all.... It was a great adventure, I really had a great time. Thanks Stan for the fine idles :coffeetime:

Jim "hawk" Shorten :outtahere:

Just want to say I had a great time also meeting a bunch of new people out there. Hopefully we can all get together come March when the weather is more cooperative (warm) and the days are longer. Hope you all had as much fun as I did. :brows:

Sorry Jim (paleface) if you missed the lobster tail meat BUT if you snooze you lose. :shrug: :shrug: I know it sure went fast and I will be keeping that recipe for a later event.

Whatever steak was left (very little) it went to the two kit foxes who actually came up to my tent on sunday morning. I had never seen them do that before. They sure must have been hungry to come so close.

May venture out there again before the end of the year as I need to grid off a couple of spots that Del and I :mm: during the last couple of minutes of daylight. Had to make a mad dash to the jeep in the dark this time around. :sadwalk:

Here is wishing you all a MELE KALIKIMAKA AND A HAUOLI MAKAHIKI HOU!

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi :cigar:

Hey Ruben

Cant seem to get the pics to come up on my comp any suggestions.

Thanks

Paul

Check your PM's and give me a call if you still cant post the pics.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

Here is another shot of some finds from the outing I thought you might enjoy and the sunset was also great on Sunday.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

post-1619-1198221157_thumb.jpg

post-1619-1198221174_thumb.jpg

Hi Stan

Thanks for the PM. Guess I should check more often. You guys are getting alittle to good. I may need a lesson or two when you come to hunt GB. Have been hunting new country and need to get back in the field. Let me know!! Nice pics. Like your shot on the Handy Dandy bolt and nut extractor.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

post-1528-1198254859_thumb.jpg

Hey Stan,

Thanks for the info, But my problem is seeing the pics that Ruben posted . I click on the link and I get no pics. I can see all his other pics but not the franconia ones.

Paul

Hey Paul,

Looks like Ruben got creative with the pictures of Franconia and put them up in a format that requires a Flash player (Shockwave). Make sure you have the current Flash player installed.

here is the link:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/do...=ShockwaveFlash

Wish I could have joined you guys out there. Looks like you had a good time...

mick

Hey Stan,

Thanks for the info, But my problem is seeing the pics that Ruben posted . I click on the link and I get no pics. I can see all his other pics but not the franconia ones.

Paul

Paul,

Do you see pictures when you click on the link? There should be 12 pictures in the center of your screen, click next and you will get 12 more and 12 more, then 3, for a total of 39 pictures.

It works every time on this old relic of a computer. I have high speed internet and each individual picture takes awhile to enlarge. It would take forever on dial-up...

Did you and Mike have enough charge in your pocket-rockets to last all day Sunday?

Congratulations on your very lucky finds, the south side is difficult as most everything is well buried but when you find something, it is usually worth the effort. Did you make your finds on desert pavement, or over a bank?

Jim

P.S. Just noticed the post that Mick made, that is probably your problem solver.......Hope so... :unsure:

Thanks Mick!

I didn't do anything different. I use a very simple web program because I'm not te best with tech stuff. They musta upgraded, cause it was nothing I did...

P.S. I just finished both videos!

They came out pretty good.

The first is 7 1/2 minutes long and showcases finds by Del, Paul, Billy and Myself - also some talk from Jim Smaller about irons with chondritic material.

The second Video is 7 minutes long and features finds by Jim, Stan, Mike, Billy (and Wife) as well as some newbies...

The first will be public arounf the 7th of Jan

Gotta go start that article now......

Ruben Garcia.