Nugget Shooter Forums

In-situ pics.... any tips?

Hi guys, this past weekend while taking some in-situ meteorite pics I noticed sometimes I had a heck of a time trying to get a really good shot. I had to kneel down, take the angle of the sun into account, the time of day, shadows, etc.

So I wanted to ask all you out there if you would be willing to make some suggestions and share some information for getting good in-situ pics?

Thanks,

Del

Del, actually you described all the things I do too :hmmmmmm: . A centimeter cube helps for those close up shots and gives a reference to the size of the meteorite, which I'm sure you already know. I just try to get the best shot I can, which usually means many shots, instead of just one :PO2: . Then I like the, "holding up to the sky" shot personally. It really all depends on what you want for your the shot. Not much help...just my :twocents:

Jason :;):

Del, I usually look at the fragment first and ask myself "which side is the best", then you need to make sure the sun is not going to cast a shadow. Then you need to take at least three shots of it from different angles.

My favorite is the one where you hold it next to the gps showing its coords! :Huh_anim]:

When we get out to Franconia on the next meeting we should be able to figure it out better. Of course we will need to find them specimens first. :ROFL:

See you then,

Stan aka Kaimi

also for clarity, keep your zoom level all the way back, set your cam to macro (usually a flower symbol) and manually bring your camera closer to it....I've found I get better shots that way rather than zooming in on the subject. My twin coppers!! :twocents: haha ~Kel

Hi guys, yeah when I was out I was using my macro. However, this is where I ran into some problems. I learned to get the best shot the sun had to be to your back. The problem with doing this though, it was hard to get a good shot with no shadows in it.

Doing the pic with the sky as the beackground totally makes sense to me now, and I really like taking those. Also like doing includeing the scale cube in the pics too.

As for getting my GPS in there..... sure guys...... do you want me to post the exact coordinates too? :laught16::laught16:

I guess it just takes some practice.

Del