Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kaimi

Franconia Weekend Outing

I will look and see if I got one of them radios too, what frequency are they on.......

I will be working the area I go into very slow and careful, got me a plan :laught16: :icon_mrgreen:

Got me a new tent today, now if it will get here in time to use for the outing.........

See ya there :Huh_anim]:

Woof! Looks like this "little" gathering of ours is turning into a major event. :innocent0009: A video and a magazine article? Maybe an article about Whites Detectors versus Minelabs is in the making. :hmmmmmm: NAH!!

We should be able to get a LOT of information exchanged on this trip if even half of the people that hunt this area regularly show up.

Okay folks as Del sometimes says to me just as we head out into the field: GAME ON!! :ROFL:

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi :ph34r2:

BTW Rick, these radios are either gmrs and/or frs if that helps.

well i dont got the radio got some wokies but thats about it......going to be nice to see old friends and new ones... i wint otu and bout new ears lol so I could hear :P yea well guys i cant wate to get up try out a new cole i wint out and got in det for L() goda see you all out there i would say game on but hay 2 sec time for me at a outting ;P o god look at me reambbling on a bout nuthing ; time for the work thign see you guys

Nate, I hate to tell ya but the stock coil on the GoldMaster is about the best one for out there

at Franconia. If ya need a lift from Camp to the hunting area I can ride 2 up on my quad.

Saves a lot of walking, depends on where ya want to hunt.

I am going back to the place I got my last one and work a grid in that area.

going to go slow and low......

HEY STAN, did ya get another tent yet or you gonna rough it in the jeep.

7 days left....counting down to a GREAT TIME IN THE DESERT.............. :icon_mrgreen: :laught16:

:ROFL: :chowtime: :raspberry: :1153: :head: :mm: OHHH YEAHHHHHH

Whites Detectors versus Minelabs

:laught16::laught16: Stan your funny! If it's the White's GMT against the ML Eureka Gold yeah maybe. But if it's the GMT against a GP or SD... there's no comparison because the PI's are in a class of their own. Don't get me wrong the GMT is an excellent detector (which is why I bought one), but compared to Minelab PI's... again I say there's no comparison, not even close.

Rick if you've put the time in to get used to it, I personally think the Sierra Gold Max is probably the best coil for GMT's out at Franconia simply because they cover more ground.

Just my opinions.

Del

:laught16::laught16: Stan your funny!

Isn't what this is all about! :hmmmmmm: Getting together and having fun while doing some serious hunting for them spacerocks?

Rick, I personally think the Sierra Gold Max coil is probably the best coil for GMT's out at Franconia simply because they cover more ground.

Yeah, BUT you really have to retrain your ears and brain to tune out all them weird noises the ground makes out in Franconia. I am just starting to get the hang of using that BIG coil and man my arms and shoulders ache after a hard day in the field lugging that honker of a coil. Sure wish Whites would come up with a LIGHTER coil this size. HINT!!!!!! And you guys wonder why I carry a BIG bottle of Bayer aspirins. :hmmmmmm:

Just on the way out the door to go to Big 5 as they have a huge sale on GMRS radios for $24 a pair. :woohoo:

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

BTW, I fixed my tent and now use larger diameter poles. :whoopie:

Yeah, BUT you really have to retrain your ears and brain to tune out all them weird noises the ground makes out in Franconia. I am just starting to get the hang of using that BIG coil and man my arms and shoulders ache after a hard day in the field lugging that honker of a coil. Sure wish Whites would come up with a LIGHTER coil this size. HINT!!!!!! And you guys wonder why I carry a BIG bottle of Bayer aspirins. :hmmmmmm:

Stan you outta try swinging around a 16" or an 18" coil. Thank god for the bungee cord setups! I couldn't imagine how painful it would be without one.

Once you get used to that Sierra Gold Max coil you'll be glad you put forth the time and effort to learn how to use it. Think of it this way- with every sweep you cover 40% more ground than the stock coil and we all know the importance of more ground coverage. The more ground you cover the higher the probability of you swinging your coil over a meteorite. It's just that simple!

Anytime your swinging a new coil there will always a learning curve. To help speed the curve up here's a trick Jim Smaller told me about that works great- When your out in the field every 15 or 30 minutes toss your throwdown out and slowly work your way up to it. When you get close to it, swing over it as if your were detecting normally and listen to the sound it makes. Now tell yourself "ignore everything else but this sound". Keep doing this all day and by the end of the day your hearing will be more tuned to the sounds your looking for. Don't worry about identifying the faint signals yet because this will come later. The point of this exercise is to get your ears used to how that new coil sounds. Trust me this trick works really well! .

The time you spend with that coil WILL payoff in the long run. It's funny because when I was out at Gold Basin I remember putting my Joey coil on because at first I thought my NF coil wouldn't pick up the meteorites out there. I put the coil on and I remember looking at the coil and thinking to myself "ahhhhh man, it's so small". I eventually put my NF coil back on because I couldn't stand the thought of less ground coverage. In time you will run into the same situation and think the same exact thing!

The last time we hunted I was really happy to see you using the Sierra Gold Max all day even though I know you really wanted to put your stock coil back on because thats what your used to. Keep at it because eventually you will get used to it. :;):

Del

Checked around at a couple of different stores for a good radio and was surprised to hear that Bass Pro has the Midland LXT330VP3 for $39.99 a pair and that includes the desktop charger. The thing I found good about this unit is that if your nihm batteries go out while you are in the field for a couple of days you can always throw in some AAA batteries instead. Will be picking up a pair on saturday as I am now playing with my laptop to download a bunch of my stuff onto an external drive for safe keeping.

So, Del if you cant find batteries for your radios dont worry about it since you can borrow the other radio.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

And this is what we ALL hope to find this next weekend hunt. :whoopie: I call this guy "MY NWA from Franconia" NWA meaning Not Western Africa even tho it sure looks like that continent.

Aloha till this weekend,

Stan aka Kaimi :cigar:

post-1619-1197145229_thumb.jpg

Stan, WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :ROFL: :zapped: :bowdown: :WOW: :wubu: :whoopie: That is a nice piece of Franconian "GOLD". Let's hope for good weather, I'm trying to make it atleast on Sat. but still up in the air at this point. Jason :;):

Stan, WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :ROFL: :zapped: :bowdown: :WOW: :wubu: :whoopie: That is a nice piece of Franconian "GOLD". Let's hope for good weather, I'm trying to make it atleast on Sat. but still up in the air at this point. Jason :;):

I figured that when I got to post this pic it would draw some attention. :innocent0009: Yep, I was very happy :happy0045: when I found these two pieces about 45 feet apart and I may have found part of the 3rd piece. There are a bunch more pieces missing but when and if I find them it will be a jigsaw puzzle putting them together.

Really hope to see you out there saturday. I still remember my first trip out there when you led me to the hunting area and I found my first piece (300.4 grammer) on 12/26/06. Now maybe it will be payback and you can find a honker. :luck:

See y'all out there,

Stan aka Kaimi :banged:

Stan

Having had that piece in my hand once, :WOW: I liked it a lot better than the picture. Too bad you wouldn't turn your back on me so I could make off with it. :laught16: Still very nice picture. Glad you got your computer back. Now we can see some real action. :ROFL:

Wayne :icon_mrgreen: :xmas-smiley-031:

OUTING DATE getting closer and my detector is not here yet....Getting worried

:grrr01: :PO2: :PO3: :cry2: :rainyday: :smack: :sadwalk:

Its gotta be here before the weekend

Hi all,

Hey I was wondering, My friend and myself are planning on heading down for the outing and was wondering if an ATV is mandatory? We both have one but would rather not drag them down from northern utah (gas prices you know) if they are not required to get to the field. If we need them we will bring them.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Todd/Phil

I always take my ATV but if you don't mind walking and have a 4x4 then you might be ok.

We camp about a mile and a half from the hunting area so keep that in mind.

I always take my ATV but if you don't mind walking and have a 4x4 then you might be ok.

We camp about a mile and a half from the hunting area so keep that in mind.

Thanks, I'll talk to my buddy and ask him if he wants to take them down. I'm up for the hike and I'm sure he probably will be as he is an old fossil hunter used to pounding the brush!

Todd

Something to keep in mind is once you get to the hunting are you might log another couple of mile then have to walk back top camp....you have to watch where you go on the ATV's as there is a wilderness area that allows no motor vehicle traffic at all.....got to stay out of there.

come to think of it , it might be closer to 2 miles to the hunting area from camp

Hi all,

Hey I was wondering, My friend and myself are planning on heading down for the outing and was wondering if an ATV is mandatory? We both have one but would rather not drag them down from northern utah (gas prices you know) if they are not required to get to the field. If we need them we will bring them.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Todd/Phil

Do what Del and I do to get to the hunting area. We drive from the campsite and park alongside the tracks. Then we hike our butts off to get to where we need to find them elusive rocks and irons. No big deal for us tho. I have logged about 7-9 miles on each trip and it is not up and down and very hard. Oh, and that was in July/August.

With the weather being cool it should not be a big factor. Just remember to take a lot of water and some food for a snack during noon breaks and you should be okay. Plus there seems to be a BIG group coming to the outing and I would be surprised if you dont keep on running into each other.

If you guys have a couple of gmrs/frs radios BRING THEM for insurance to keep in contact with others in the field. See you all out there.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

Just thought of something that we all need to keep in mind while hunting at Franconia. If anyone has a gmrs/frs 2way radio they should bring them along for this outing to keep in touch with others. :smrt1:

Plus this should help anyone if they get in trouble with a meteorite that is too big for them to pack back to the camp. :ROFL:

I dont know about you guys but channel 6 always works for me and that is the one I will be on for this outing. If anyone has a preference to another channel then lets hear from you.

If anyone has any other safety suggestions please speak up and post them now so we will be aware of them now. BTW, how about a prehunt chat friday nite for saturdays hunt when Ruben shows up with his camera.

I know that friday nites and saturday nites seesion around the campfire will be a LOT of fun so plan on being there. Bring some firewood also please. The more the merrier!

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

Don't forget folks, and for those that have not made it to one of our outings, I will have

a LARGE pot of CHILI to offer if anyone wants any....any thing anyone else wants to bring

we can set up a table and put the offerings there....... :chowtime: :mm: :poke: :ROFL: :bs: :whoopie: :smrt1:

BRING YER OWN BOWLS AND SPOONS :laught16:

GOOD times at these outings, what more can ya say....

See everyone on Friday (hope to be there early Friday morning)

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Hi guy's, I'll be there on the 12th for an early start for the big ones..... :laught16:

Ruben, I'll be bringing my VX-1000 video camera's with a tri-pod....... :coffeetime:

I drive a tan/gold Wrangler with tan rag top, full of warm gear :Huh_anim]:

jim "Hawk" Shorten :outtahere:

Jim "hawk". I will or should be there around early Friday morning. I will be ib a dark blue

chevy pick -up towing a black trailer with a red polaris in it.....the truck has a white dragon on the

passenger side......see ya then

Do what Del and I do to get to the hunting area. We drive from the campsite and park alongside the tracks. Then we hike our butts off to get to where we need to find them elusive rocks and irons. No big deal for us tho. I have logged about 7-9 miles on each trip and it is not up and down and very hard. Oh, and that was in July/August.

With the weather being cool it should not be a big factor. Just remember to take a lot of water and some food for a snack during noon breaks and you should be okay. Plus there seems to be a BIG group coming to the outing and I would be surprised if you dont keep on running into each other.

If you guys have a couple of gmrs/frs radios BRING THEM for insurance to keep in contact with others in the field. See you all out there.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

We will bring some radios and other stuff. Neither of us have been down there but have the GPS cords. for the campsite so we should be fine. But if you should see a couple of strangers who look lost that would be us! We will be leaving Thurs. morning and should arrive in camp early Fri. morning. See you all there!

Todd

Hello all. Looking forward to the weekend and a good time. Probably arrive about 1:00 pm on Friday. Will be

commuting back and forth from Laughlin so will probably miss Rick's Chili but will be there for the Saturday evening

get together. Good luck to all in the field. --Perry--