Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goldfinger

Robert L Tatham Treasure Cypher

Paul--

I hope you don't give up the hunt.. Perhaps Mrs Tatham will offer some clues for you.. Persistence does pay..

Steve

I don't think i will really ever "give it up"-i'm just not as enthusiastic as i once was--shoot,I don't even care if the "treasure" had been found already. If I could just crack just one of those codes,I would die a happy man.I wish others would post here and give us a their thoughts on what they have covered but I can understand how someone would feel about giving out info on "THEIR TREASURE" ha ha-anyway, I mailed a note to Mrs. Tatham this morning,not to ask anything,but just to tell her how her husband delighted me back back in the 80's and i hope that she is well-maybe she will write back,we'll see--paul

I don't think i will really ever "give it up"-i'm just not as enthusiastic as i once was--shoot,I don't even care if the "treasure" had been found already. If I could just crack just one of those codes,I would die a happy man.I wish others would post here and give us a their thoughts on what they have covered but I can understand how someone would feel about giving out info on "THEIR TREASURE" ha ha-anyway, I mailed a note to Mrs. Tatham this morning,not to ask anything,but just to tell her how her husband delighted me back back in the 80's and i hope that she is well-maybe she will write back,we'll see--paul

I'm sure someone in the future will solve it. (hopefully you) In any case I hope the results are published should anyone decipher it. I just know I, as well as many others will be kicking themselves in the butt for perhaps some obvious reasons if they ever do publish the results.

You should start a thread on one of the other treasure hunting forums and see if you can't find a few other people that have worked on it. You know the old saying - "two heads are better then one". Try and locate a forum that deals perhaps with the civil war relics or maybe one for hunting in the midwest. All knowledge is local.

Steve

Steve--I kind of poked around a little on other websites but not much luck-this treasure hunt is older than some of the people out there treasure hunting now, and since the book is out of print and hard to get, most are just not that interested i guess-when i got my book a month or so ago,I scanned it into my computer so its pretty easy to copy a page and write notes on it if i want-the book itself stays almost new as i never use it-so that makes it easier to "play" with--if i ever get any "fresh" ideas,i'll let you know steve, as it seems that your the only one around here (besides me) who seems to still have an interest in this--paul

Steve--I kind of poked around a little on other websites but not much luck-this treasure hunt is older than some of the people out there treasure hunting now, and since the book is out of print and hard to get, most are just not that interested i guess-when i got my book a month or so ago,I scanned it into my computer so its pretty easy to copy a page and write notes on it if i want-the book itself stays almost new as i never use it-so that makes it easier to "play" with--if i ever get any "fresh" ideas,i'll let you know steve, as it seems that your the only one around here (besides me) who seems to still have an interest in this--paul

I'm sure there's a lot more people interested in it but they're keeping their cards close to the vest. I was thinking about the march I mentioned to you. You might want to contact the KC Historical Society about that. Perhaps they know of a prominent march that happened during the civil war in the KC area. A march that Mr Tatham became all too familiar with. All knowledge is local- remember???

Steve

I'm sure there's a lot more people interested in it but they're keeping their cards close to the vest. I was thinking about the march I mentioned to you. You might want to contact the KC Historical Society about that. Perhaps they know of a prominent march that happened during the civil war in the KC area. A march that Mr Tatham became all too familiar with. All knowledge is local- remember???

Steve

"All knowledge is local"--you must be trying to tell me something,but i'm just not getting it.

here is your reference to the march maybe page 66 " If you do not find the quest for the "Missouri treasures" a challenge, then you and i must march to a different drum beat.

he also states that this cypher is like the beal cypher which was solved by using the deceleration of independence see here for the link

I am well aware of the fact he used a substitution cypher as the basis for his treasure hunt. The problem is trying to find out which documents he used to create the cypher. My guess is there's a list of men who participated in a certain march during the civil war somewhere in the archives of a Missouri or Kansas library-museum. Probably a really obscure document and that's one of the keys.... :twocents:

Steve

Goldfinger that was not directed towards you i believe that someone was looking for clues to the book and i was stating where i believe the clues to be in the book. i am well aware that you are vested in this. if some of us can start posting what we think on here it might help others

I became interested in this shortly after it was first published and worked on this quite extensively to no avail. I corresponded with Mr Tatham a number of times and he was kind enough to give me the clue to the first cypher which was the contents of the "treasure". This was actually recovered from the 1715 fleet and consisted of a gold bar, gold escudo,silver piece of eight, an emerald and some other items which can't recall. The Declaration of Independence was used as a key for the first cypher. Just don't remember how it was encoded. Mr Tatham always stressed research,research and more research in all of his treasure books and no doubt whatever document he used for the other two keys- it will be very obscure and require a lot of time,effort to find it. Since he lived in the Kansas City area, I think whatever keys were used in last two cyphers, will be found in one of those libraries, museums.

Given the advance of computer technology, I think someone with knowledge of cryptanalytics and programming could find the solution fairly fast assuming they were willing to do a little research.

Steve

first cypher the number's 74,358,4,204,266,137,66 are used two times. total of 150 words or sets of numbers

i have tried this cypher with words letters combination of numbers, and even using the frequency methods.

all with the declaration of independence. starting from the top "in Congress" and then "When in the course" and then from the end all including and excluding the signatures.

so i created a searchable PDF of the book and searched for key words to no avail. I also have the 1974 version of the book i will be comparing them to see if there are any small word changes in the stories that exists in both books

will keep you up dated.. may have a lease as to the soldiers march the key to the second cypher

i just talked to Robert Tatham's son and he confirmed that it has not been located yet also that in the cyphers their is a phone number and address that you have to call or write to get the final coordinates of the treasure.

By the way i live in st. peters mo if anyone is interested in tackling this together.

Declaration of Independence Eh??--well,he did say that it was "similiar" to the Beal codes...so.. maybe instead of the first letter of each word,he used every letter of each word...or..he started from the end of the document and worked toward the front using the "last" letter of each word....or....he used each first letter starting from the end to the beginning...or... he used the capital letters only...or...the letters of each capital word..or.....or.....(and the beat goes on)

My Dad introduced me to the book in 1994 and together, we worked on the codes. We contacted Mr. Tatham and talked with him on the phone, and he said, "I will not give any clues to any of the codes in the book, but I will say that I just checked it not too long ago, and it is still there". We have cracked code no.1 which describes the contents of the treasure and contains a typo on the last digit which doesn't affect this code but if it were in an important part of another code, it could make it more of a challenge to crack. Since then, my Dad has passed (may he RIP) and I have continued with no avail. Mr. Tatham emphasizes using common sense in our searches. One clue that seems to catch my eye is "Historic papers" and I think that is where we get "Declaration of Independence". I have searched many items and there are so many aspects, as "do we include header or merely text"? and "papers" as in plural and why not "documents"?. One other important aspect would be that the codes are not in the initial book release, only in the 1982 re-release which would affect the hints. Though I know the technique of the Beale code that he uses, it still seems next to impossible to ever crack all four in one lifetime. It is a fun pass-time but, unless I get updated verification that the treasure still exists, I don't expect a "pot o' gold" at the end of the rainbow.

first cypher the number's 74,358,4,204,266,137,66 are used two times. total of 150 words or sets of numbers

i have tried this cypher with words letters combination of numbers, and even using the frequency methods.

all with the declaration of independence. starting from the top "in Congress" and then "When in the course" and then from the end all including and excluding the signatures.

so i created a searchable PDF of the book and searched for key words to no avail. I also have the 1974 version of the book i will be comparing them to see if there are any small word changes in the stories that exists in both books

will keep you up dated.. may have a lease as to the soldiers march the key to the second cypher

I have used the same method as used to crack code no.1 to crack "the Declaration of Independence" and in every form it has not worked for any of the codes (other than code no. 1 which is already cracked) so I may be wrong, but I think it is safe to say that this document is not used for any of the beale code cyphers.

A previous post stated a clue from Robert about a list of names in a march and the only one I can think of right off hand is the "March to the sea" and I located a list of soldiers names with no avail, and also tryed to crack the "Gettysburg address" also with no avail. any other suggestions from anyone will be beneficial to everyone. Have fun with it !

I have a copy of the book that my wife bought me in a little store in Liberty. In the book it says there are clues to the keys located in the book. There are some numbers written in my copy. Does everyone's copy have these numbers? If someone has really solved the first cipher I would like to know the key so I can understand how he put this together. I have a difficult time believing that people figured out the first key some how and couldn't figure out the rest of the keys or at least one other. One person that said they solved the first one said the key had nothing to do with history and another said it had everything to do with it. I am confused can anyone give a solid answer.

As far as this march thing, is this something that is a solid clue or was there some assuming going on?

THe Bataan Death March, maybe?????????

I have a copy of the book that my wife bought me in a little store in Liberty. In the book it says there are clues to the keys located in the book. There are some numbers written in my copy. Does everyone's copy have these numbers? If someone has really solved the first cipher I would like to know the key so I can understand how he put this together. I have a difficult time believing that people figured out the first key some how and couldn't figure out the rest of the keys or at least one other. One person that said they solved the first one said the key had nothing to do with history and another said it had everything to do with it. I am confused can anyone give a solid answer.

As far as this march thing, is this something that is a solid clue or was there some assuming going on?

My dad gave me a copy of the book published in 1982 and it is the version with the "Beale code" numbers in it. We have the first code cracked and my dad passed away, so I have been continueing with no avail. I don't know if all four codes have the same method to desipher. I do know that Robert did not use the Beale code the same way that Mr. Beale used it in the "Declaration of Independence" and his method was using the first letter in every word. I have tried close to 100 potential clues by using the same method as the clue no.1, and all of them did NOT work ! One item I felt would be successful was his statement "reading a good book" which I thought to be the Bible and had no luck. I have a full time job and since the passing of my Dad, I am searching for an allie that has the time that my Dad had to help me with ideas.

My dad gave me a copy of the book published in 1982 and it is the version with the "Beale code" numbers in it. We have the first code cracked and my dad passed away, so I have been continueing with no avail. I don't know if all four codes have the same method to desipher. I do know that Robert did not use the Beale code the same way that Mr. Beale used it in the "Declaration of Independence" and his method was using the first letter in every word. I have tried close to 100 potential clues by using the same method as the clue no.1, and all of them did NOT work ! One item I felt would be successful was his statement "reading a good book" which I thought to be the Bible and had no luck. I have a full time job and since the passing of my Dad, I am searching for an allie that has the time that my Dad had to help me with ideas.

Well I have not had the book that long so I have tried a few things but I don't know how much help ill be. I am certainly willing to form an alliance haha. I also have the 1982 version. Mine has some hand written numbers down the sides of the pages and it looks like they have been reprinted. For example it appears as is someone had a copy and was writing some numbers in the book trying to figure it out the codes then made a copy of their book and gave it to the book store to sell. I was wondering if your version has these hand written numbers? I am trying to figure the significance of these numbers. I work full time also but my job also a little more flexibility so I have some time. I am not sure where your from but I do have some knowledge of the mid Missouri area. I was hoping you wouldn't say that the first letter of the word was ineffective because that is the method I was trying the most. At this point I just want to see someone crack it so I can realize how silly I was for not getting it.

Well I have not had the book that long so I have tried a few things but I don't know how much help ill be. I am certainly willing to form an alliance haha. I also have the 1982 version. Mine has some hand written numbers down the sides of the pages and it looks like they have been reprinted. For example it appears as is someone had a copy and was writing some numbers in the book trying to figure it out the codes then made a copy of their book and gave it to the book store to sell. I was wondering if your version has these hand written numbers? I am trying to figure the significance of these numbers. I work full time also but my job also a little more flexibility so I have some time. I am not sure where your from but I do have some knowledge of the mid Missouri area. I was hoping you wouldn't say that the first letter of the word was ineffective because that is the method I was trying the most. At this point I just want to see someone crack it so I can realize how silly I was for not getting it.

My copy does not have the numbers down the side of the pages. Appears that someone was thinking the book was a cipher in itself. I live in S.W missouri and I am originally from the K.C. area so I know it pretty well, and it is not too far to go there if need be. My dad and I have talked by phone to Mr. Tathum on one occasion around 1994 and he stated that no one had located the treasure yet, but since his passing along with my dad, (may they both R.I.P.) there is no telling who knew the location and who could be trusted, so I treat this just like a game not expecting to ever find a pot of gold.

You are not silly at all ! I have read that book so many times I almost know it by heart. You would think that knowing the method of the encrypted clues would make it much easier to crack other codes, but it don't. I have tryed close to 100 potential clues in more ways than one at no avail. I am starting to run out of ideas, so it is time to walk away for awhile. I have been trying to learn about Mr. Tathum himself because to know him is helpful to the clues themselves. We (My Dad and I) have talked to him by phone around 1994, and he stated that no one has located the treasure but will not give any help to the clues.

JBG04640, I remembered some scribbles in the book and just figured my dad did it, but it is in the "order no. 11" section where someone has counted words and numbers. Is that the same as yours?

rockc, No they are on different sections of the book. One starts on the research page. The second is one starts on the evaluation of treasure stories page. The third starts on the searching for money caches page. The fourth starts on the doctors gold page. Then they have the low and high number page marked. There were four new sections added to this book since the earlier addition. I thought maybe the cipher had something to do with that. I have so many hobbies besides this it is difficult to find time to do this. Especially when I know there are arrowheads laying out there that would make my head hurt a lot less haha.I cant imagine Mr. Tatham using a different method for cracking the other codes because it is hard enough to find the keys but that is not to say he didn't.

I have tried counting the letters only on some potential sources and using the first letter of the counted words like the beale codes. My email address is gordon_jeremiah@hotmail.com. You can email me about it and we can exchange ideas at least. Maybe brains united can come up with an idea.

At first when I got the book, I was hoping I got Mr. Tatham's secret copy and the markings were his (haha going crazy) but I had looked over it several times and have decided someone else had tried to solve it and gave up on it.

rockc, No they are on different sections of the book. One starts on the research page. The second is one starts on the evaluation of treasure stories page. The third starts on the searching for money caches page. The fourth starts on the doctors gold page. Then they have the low and high number page marked. There were four new sections added to this book since the earlier addition. I thought maybe the cipher had something to do with that. I have so many hobbies besides this it is difficult to find time to do this. Especially when I know there are arrowheads laying out there that would make my head hurt a lot less haha.I cant imagine Mr. Tatham using a different method for cracking the other codes because it is hard enough to find the keys but that is not to say he didn't.

I have tried counting the letters only on some potential sources and using the first letter of the counted words like the beale codes. My email address is gordon_jeremiah@hotmail.com. You can email me about it and we can exchange ideas at least. Maybe brains united can come up with an idea.

At first when I got the book, I was hoping I got Mr. Tatham's secret copy and the markings were his (haha going crazy) but I had looked over it several times and have decided someone else had tried to solve it and gave up on it.

Would it be ok if I emailed you? This has caught my interest. Thanks Mark.