Nugget Shooter Forums

Has anyone used one of these??

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone has used one of these in the field and if it's worth a darn? $7 on ebay doesn't sound to bad, but I'm curious if anyone has had experience with one of these. I attached an old hard drive magnet to the end of a pole and that's what I've been using, but I didn't know if this would be better or worse. Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance. ~Kel

post-9532-1194805452_thumb.jpg :confused0013:

Hi Kelly

Yes you should have a magnet whether on a hand made stick or on your digging tool. I have several and prefer the telescoping. I never go into the field without one or mostly two as I lose one now and again. Mostly again. :laught16: I have added another magnet to the one in the foreground for more power while searching in my dig holes. Welcome to the forum your on with the best in the field.

For all you other Met nuts. Here' a 41.9 gram from Gold Basin yesterday. 8hrs for 1. Tough day in paradise.

Wayne

post-1528-1194808049_thumb.jpg

Hi Kelly, a magnet in the gold fields is a real time saver..........keeps your from digging a lot

of deep holes and saves a lot of time identifying iron pieces..........

the bigger and stronger the better on the back side of your pick......

check with Bill Southern here on this forum......I think he sells some pretty strong ones....

It's best to JB weld on a strong rare earth magnet to your pick somewhere comfy for you to use. Those look a little flimsy to me to get much use out of while digging targets. I doubt they would last long detecting but they can be real handy to pick up those screws around the shop that always fall into the hardest to reach places.

What a bad rap on the telescoping handy dandy. :tisc-tisc: We use these to test around and have pulled 200 gram meteorites out of the bottom of our small holes as not to dig a fox hole to insert the pick. :Huh_anim]: But most importantly to rough classify our finds. Its very easy to tell the difference between a H and L class and Irons by the pull. I just love it when my partners come over to the house to test and throw down there 4lb picks in the middle of my dining table. :WOW:

Go to Autozone before you plunk down $7 because I think I paid only $4.95 for one there.

I just bought a couple of STRONG rare earth magnets from CMS Magnetics online. You might also check them out if you are serious about getting a strong and inexpensive magnet for your pick/cane/pole/whatever.

BTW, check your local nursery for an Ames telescoping pick combo rake. $9.00 for one plus a magnet and bingo a lightweight magnetic pole that also doubles as a walking cane. I will be using mine the next time out in the field as I just got my magnets in the mail yesterday.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Kelly

Yes you should have a magnet whether on a hand made stick or on your digging tool. I have several and prefer the telescoping. I never go into the field without one or mostly two as I lose one now and again. Mostly again. :laught16: I have added another magnet to the one in the foreground for more power while searching in my dig holes. Welcome to the forum your on with the best in the field.

For all you other Met nuts. Here' a 41.9 gram from Gold Basin yesterday. 8hrs for 1. Tough day in paradise.

Wayne

I dont feel too bad now. But getting a 42 grammer is a lot better than 6 grams. Nice job Wayne! We really need to get together soon so we can compare notes.

Aloha and keep on beeping,

Stan aka Kaimi

I dont feel too bad now. But getting a 42 grammer is a lot better than 6 grams. Nice job Wayne! We really need to get together soon so we can compare notes.

Aloha and keep on beeping,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hey, thanks guys for all of your input!! I didn't even think of checkin Autozone Kaimi, thanks for that suggestion...and nice find on your GB Wayne!! I can't wait until I can make a trip out that way...thanks again! ~Kel

Kel

Thanks. I hope you find the next big field. Hope to hear soon.

Stan

I did not want to bring this up however my coil is acting up again. Had a problem the last two times out. Six months use this time around and I have been careful to not bang it on everything out there. Will get on the phone tomorrow and ask some questions about life span. Maybe someone can add info on this issue. Wish I had someone around with a unit to test it.

I found the 41 before the sun came up yesterday and it was a long day after that. At least another for the collection. Are you coming on fri this week???

Wayne

Kel,

I personally use a cylindrical neo mag that is one inch wide and two inches long. It's on my pick and it will suck an anvil out of the ground! Finds magnetic targets ultra-fast!

Wayne,

Nice find at the Basin. Erik and I might head up that way after Turkey-Day. Which coil is having the problem?

Ben

Hello Ben

It the green DD coil. On my invoice its a GMT coil. However it used on my V/Sat. Seems the bottom of the coil has become super sensitive and screams when just sitting on the ground or an object. Works but do not touch the bottom. Sides are OK. Sure would like to catch up with you guys.

Wayne

Wayne,

Maybe you can inject some epoxy into the coil housing so it's not "bump sensitive". I Too, have a coil that I'm going to send to White's to see if they can do anything with. If not, I'm going to fill it with epoxy or foam.

Good luck, Ben

Ben

I told Basalt about that cure, However it only worked for a month or so. This is getting a little costly at $165.00 a pop with a new cover. I will call them tomorrow and ask the right questions. Maybe we need a class action. :laught16::laught16: This is twice in the last year.

Wayne :icon_mrgreen:

Here's the cane I use when I "try" to hunt lake beds. Got a golf putter and cut the end off, took a craftsman screwdriver, cut off the handle and bent it into shape. Bought a 1" x 4" x 1/2" 150 Lb pull Nedodymium manget from some guy on eBay. Attached the magnet to the screwdriver and used some really stong silicone adhesive. Then I coated everything with liquid heat shrink. Let that dry, then wrapped the magnet with regular heat shrink and shrunk it down. I like it so far, it seems to work good. I've tried using the telescoping magnet pick up tools and thy're just to flimsy for me.

Wayne, again nice find! Hoping you can make it to the Gold Basin Turkey trot. Same thing with Ben and Erik. I really want to see how well the kid does out there!

I'll see you guys in a couple weeks.

Del

post-890-1194837985_thumb.jpg

post-890-1194838021_thumb.jpg

Hi Del

Thanks. I sure will try to make the Trot. Weather has been great here hope it stays this way for the hunt. I was looking for the traffic cop again yesterday. I moved several times to hunt areas and all I could find was someone parked and hunting in most places I wanted to hunt for the larger pieces. I moved 3 miles and sure enough a car was there to. Busy place that GB. Nice magnet putter!! I could use that out my tracker window.

Wayne

to hack a GPS you would have to some how get into the satelites the gps uses

and it would have to be on.

and i dont think anyone has a program to do that lol!

the chinese would probably shoot down the satelite before you could

do that lol.

nah i havn't tried it yet but its on my project list :)