Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey all,

This is what I found last Sunday at Correo, NM. I thought it was obsidian at first, but I researched several tektite sites and my specimen seemed to share a lot of characteristics of a tektite. Then I visited our local mineral/gemstone store and they had several beautiful meteorites for sale. Next to the display case they had a box of "tektites" you could select from. I looked at several of them and thought to myself :hmmmmmm: "hey, this is what I have!! And mine looks oriented too!!!" I am still not convinced 100% yet that it is and John said he wasn't aware of any NM tektites, so I am asking the forum to examine my photos and see what you guys think. I tried to get the top, bottom and sides so you can see the "orientation" or what looks to be that. Any input is appreciated and sorry about my crappy ass digital camera!! :rofl2:

Thanks,

Kel

post-9532-1194583395_thumb.jpg post-9532-1194583440_thumb.jpg post-9532-1194583463_thumb.jpg post-9532-1194583550_thumb.jpg

post-9532-1194583531_thumb.jpg post-9532-1194583510_thumb.jpg post-9532-1194583484_thumb.jpg

Kel. I looked at the photos, and with about a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10 :laught16: for accurate knowledge on meteorites, I'm going to guess no. :coffeetime: Now we'll wait for some of the experts to chime in and see what they have for an opinion. Then I'll know if I'm actually only a 1 or 2 :confused0013: out of 10. But I think I'm gettin better at this, we'll see.

Good Hunting

Hi Kel:

The photos that show the thinner edges seem to have a gray coloration. There also seems to be quite a bit of inclusions that might be gas bubbles. If the specimen was a true tektite, there shouldn't be any gas bubbles and the thin edges should look brownish rather than gray.

Perhaps you might try and break off a very small chip and subject it to a torch flame test. Tektite will glow brightly, even to the point that you cannot look at it without hurting your eyes, all without bubbling, frothing or melting. Volcanic glasses (like obsidian) will quickly melt in the flame of an oxygen/acetylene torch and it will bubble and froth to release the volcanic gasses and water that is trapped in the glass.

Hope this helps,

Astrobleme

Hi Kel:

The photos that show the thinner edges seem to have a gray coloration. There also seems to be quite a bit of inclusions that might be gas bubbles. If the specimen was a true tektite, there shouldn't be any gas bubbles and the thin edges should look brownish rather than gray.

Perhaps you might try and break off a very small chip and subject it to a torch flame test. Tektite will glow brightly, even to the point that you cannot look at it without hurting your eyes, all without bubbling, frothing or melting. Volcanic glasses (like obsidian) will quickly melt in the flame of an oxygen/acetylene torch and it will bubble and froth to release the volcanic gasses and water that is trapped in the glass.

Hope this helps,

Astrobleme

Astro,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion of the flame test!! I will have to try that! I'm guessing that the mineral store that had that box of "tektites" for sale were far from being the real deal! oh well, thought I had my first terrestrial specimen :tisc-tisc:

Back on the hunt!!!

Thanks to everyone for their input!

~Kel

Hi Kelley, if you get the book "Rocks From Space" by O. Richard Norton and read it this will help you out tremendously and teach you the basics of meteorites. Here's a link for it in Bills store-

http://www.nuggetshooter.com/Store/NuggetShooters2.html

Another thing you might want to consider, there'a a DVD that one of the forum members (MobileHolmes) sells that will also help you get started. If you go to eBay and type in "franconia dvd" it will come up. Or you can also contact him on the forum here, his name is Wayne.

And last, I'm sure you've checked out Rubens videos on youtube? If not, go to youtube and do a search using the keywords "meteorite hunting".

Everything above will definitely help you get started in this hobby.

I wish I could comment on your find, but I've never seen nor held and observed a tektite before. I just know they usually occur around an area where there was an impact.

Hope all this helps, happy hunting!

Del

Hi Kelly

I really have to agree with Astrobleme's post and test. If it is obsidian it should froth and boil when heated till glowing. Although the apparent obsidian I found wouldn't froth either that is a pretty simple test. The history of the Correo strewnfeild is it was found by a fellow named Gordon Nelson from Tucson while looking for indian artifacts . Obsidian was a prized tool to the indians for arrowheads, cutting tools and such. The exterior of your piece shows no orientation and the shiney side was obviosly broken possibly while trying to make something. Kelly you stated that tektites were found in strewnfields. That statement is correct but not neccessarily meteorite strewnfields and have nothing to do with meteorite strewnfields. They create there own strewnfields which can be hundreds of miles in length such as the Australian astrolites !!

Happy Huntin John B.

Del and John,

Thanks for your input fellas! I've been trying to locate some literature on meteorites locally and haven't been able to find anything so I will order the books online. 'Rocks from Space' was definitely on the top of my list so thanks for the suggestion. I have watched all of Ruben's videos tenfold on youtube! They are very informative and I will definitely check out that Franconia dvd too! Thanks John for the clarification about different strewn fields...I assumed the tektites and meteorites shared them, but now I know they are contained in different fields!! Again, I appreciate all of the input and I guess I'll just chalk my find up as obsidian!!

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!" :icon_mrgreen:

~Kel

Another thing that will help you out is the Meteoritical Societies Database-

Meteoritical Society Database

Select "places" in the "search for" column, and type in "new mexico". This will give you places in New Mexico with coords that classified meteorites have been found.

With all this information, and the coords Ruben sent you (luckygirl!) this should help get you started.

Good luck!

Del

Another thing that will help you out is the Meteoritical Societies Database-

Meteoritical Society Database

Select "places" in the "search for" column, and type in "new mexico". This will give you places in New Mexico with coords that classified meteorites have been found.

With all this information, and the coords Ruben sent you (lucky girl!) this should help get you started.

Good luck!

Del

Del,

Yes, I have already been to the meteorical society's website and saved EVERY fall location from NM to my google earth which is a cool ass feature!!! Man, Portales on the eastern edge of NM is friggin' loaded!!!! Ruben told me about a gentleman who racks up out there searching "blowouts"...hopefully I can make it out there sometime...I actually have a relative who owns a ginormous ranch out there so I'm excited to search her property next visit!! Every time I went previously I was bored out of my mind and now I have something to do out there in ranch land! And lastly, yes I am very lucky and fortunate to receive suggestions from Ruben, but unfortunately this "lucky girl" is in fact a guy!!! :laught16: haha...it's cool tho, I know the name throws people off!!! Please don't withhold any future info from me now that you know I'm not a female spanish hottie from ABQ!! LOL!!!! It's all good and I definitely appreciate all that you guys have helped me with already!! Hopefully as my knowledge grows and as time progresses I'll get to meet all of you on future outings!! I can't wait to hit up GB, Franconia, and Holbrook in the future too!! I'm a mean campfire chef!!! Going back to Correo tomorrow so wish me luck!! Have a good weekend all!!

~Kel

Del,

Yes, I have already been to the meteorical society's website and saved EVERY fall location from NM to my google earth which is a cool ass feature!!! Man, Portales on the eastern edge of NM is friggin' loaded!!!! Ruben told me about a gentleman who racks up out there searching "blowouts"...hopefully I can make it out there sometime...I actually have a relative who owns a ginormous ranch out there so I'm excited to search her property next visit!! Every time I went previously I was bored out of my mind and now I have something to do out there in ranch land! And lastly, yes I am very lucky and fortunate to receive suggestions from Ruben, but unfortunately this "lucky girl" is in fact a guy!!! :laught16: haha...it's cool tho, I know the name throws people off!!! Please don't withhold any future info from me now that you know I'm not a female spanish hottie from ABQ!! LOL!!!! It's all good and I definitely appreciate all that you guys have helped me with already!! Hopefully as my knowledge grows and as time progresses I'll get to meet all of you on future outings!! I can't wait to hit up GB, Franconia, and Holbrook in the future too!! I'm a mean campfire chef!!! Going back to Correo tomorrow so wish me luck!! Have a good weekend all!!

~Kel

:opps: It's the avatar man! It looks like theres a heart in the middle of it! Sorry Kelly!

Del

:opps: It's the avatar man! It looks like theres a heart in the middle of it! Sorry Kelly!

Del

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! It's the NM state flag with a CORREO in the center!!!!!!! LOL!!!!! :laught16: :laught16: :laught16: :laught16: :laught16: Man, that's good stuff!! I guess it could represent my newfound love for meteorites!!! It's cool tho brotha!! -Kel

Kelly,

Yep, what you have there is a rather medium to low grade volcanic glass (Obsidian), I notice many pumice inclusions are showing in the picture that you took of the broken side. That piece has been out of the ground for quite some years as the outer rind is completely eroded off and moonies are apparant from contact with other hard surfaces. I have seen many pieces like yours that have been subjected to many years of erosion movement. Obsidian was highly prized by all past cultures, a fresh break is sharper than any surgeons scalpel.

Good luck on your hunt.

Jim

Kelly,

Yep, what you have there is a rather medium to low grade volcanic glass (Obsidian), I notice many pumice inclusions are showing in the picture that you took of the broken side. That piece has been out of the ground for quite some years as the outer rind is completely eroded off and moonies are apparant from contact with other hard surfaces. I have seen many pieces like yours that have been subjected to many years of erosion movement. Obsidian was highly prized by all past cultures, a fresh break is sharper than any surgeons scalpel.

Good luck on your hunt.

Jim

thanks Jim!!