Nugget Shooter Forums

Hola fellow hunters!!!

Hi fellow hunters!!

My name is Kelly Baber and I live in Albuquerque, NM. I am a novice/noob meteorite hunter and have only been on a couple of hunts, but I am extremely fascinated with meteorites, meteor showers, and everything in between!! I wanted to introduce myself officially to everybody on the forum because I've been using your discussions for a couple of months now to gather tons of knowledge!!! I think this site is really informative, especially for a newbie like myself! Thanks for all of the great info guys!!

I hunted Correo last weekend and found what I believe is a nice chunk of a tektite! At first I almost dismissed it as obsidian, but it's oriented on one side with what looks to be a type of fusion crust while the other side contains smooth black layers. When I get home from work today I will post images of it to see if anyone can confirm for me that "yes" this is a tektite meteorite and possibly identify what type.

Again guys, thanks for the infinite knowledge that is provided on this forum that you just cant get from books!!

Addicted to meteorites,

~Kel

Hi Kel and welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for meteorite hunting because there's alot of knowledgeable meteorite hunters here. There's a lot to learn. Yeah post a pic of your when you can, I'm curious to see it.

Del

Hi Kel and welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for meteorite hunting because there's alot of knowledgeable meteorite hunters here. There's a lot to learn. Yeah post a pic of your when you can, I'm curious to see it.

Del

cool, thanks a lot Del I appreciate it. Meteorite hunting is an obsession!!!

I'll get home later on this evening, but as soon as I get home, I'll flik it and post the pics! Might go back there this weekend for another shot at a Correo beauty, but I'm still not sure if I'm searching the right area for the strewn field...I mean, websites say that tektites only exist in strewn fields so I must've been close. Correo is so small I wonder if the whole entire town is the field? Does anyone know exact boundries of the Correo strewn field? My email is scorpioflo@gmail.com if anyone wants to kick me down some inside info!! :brows:

Thanks,

~Kel

Hi Kelly and All

Welcome Kelly !! I am unaware of any tektites from the great state of NM. To my knowledge the closest would be Beadiosites (sp?) from Texas. Years ago I made a discovery that got many people including myself very excited. In SE Az I found a vast area 17 miles long by several miles wide containing what I thought might be tektites. I showed them to Dr Kring at the U of A and he was not at all interested in testing or studying them. He told us of a find that was made around the old pantano stage stop east of Tuscon of some tektites. He tested and wrote a paper on his results and was never able to find any additional specimens nor were we. His study paired them to indochinites and he concluded he thought they were transported by early Chinese settlers/miners or someone else. Well my discovery was sent off to a Georgia University were a Dr Ed Albin did a micro probe on them, he as well at first thought they might be tektites but on further research found they were more than likely vulcanic glass (dang) :angry-smiley-010: !! Pictures of them in suta can be seen on my old web site at the bottom of the meteorite section at http://www.treasure-hunting-info.com/GoldMaster/ They ranged up to a couple hundred grams in size and all were see throught when back lit. Their exterior color was jet flat black with lots of surface pitting but interiors when back lit were almost glass clear to very dark . There exterior shape was mostly round to almond or tear drop shape, a real curiousity :hmmmmmm: !!

For those who are unaware of what a tektite is ?? A simple web search will give you lots of details. But basically they are thought to be impact glass that has entered or reentered our atmoshere. There is still some conjecture as to whether some may have lunar origins but the consensus is they are from terrestrial impacts leaving and reentering our atmosphere I think :tisc-tisc: ??

PS. Have you ever found any Coreo ?? I've never hunted there but am told most is on reservation or hunder housing developments now ??

Happy Huntin John B.

John,

Thanks for your reply!! I viewed the photos on your site in situ and mine looks a little different. It's really interesting looking...one side looks completely oriented with almost a rough "brain" looking texture and the other side is a flat to glossy black mixture...it's really weird. I'm still at work, but I will post images later on tonight. Last Sunday was the first time I hunted Correo and it's nice because it's only a 25 or 30 min. drive from ABQ. The town is encompassed by reservation land, but my buddy and I found a large "Land for Sale" sign over one of the fences and we called the number. The very nice woman explained that she owned X amount of land and we were ok to explore it so we found a dirt road and went down and picked random fields to explore. I haven't found a Correo yet, but I am determined to do so. The possible "tektite" I found was later in the day towards the end of our outing located right on the surface embedded just a little. Previous to going there I tried to research the exact location of the strewn field, but was unsuccessful. In my research I did find a posting that said they were building in the middle of the field so I went to google maps and checked it out. The satellite imagery is circa 2004 so I expected more development, but to my surprise it was exactly as it shows on google maps. Most of the residences are trailers scattered through one section of town...hell, it's probably the only part of town! Next trip I may extend myself to some of the locals and pick thier brains a bit about it. If anyone is interested in forming a Correo outing please let me know!! Maybe I should try to contact the tribal council (no, not survivor! lol) and see if there is a way to receive permission to search the reservation. I dunno. Again, thanks for everyone's input as it is greatly appreciated!!

~Kel