Nugget Shooter Forums

Whats the best digital scale for small measurments?

There's dozens of digital scales being sold around the various shops but the 3 I have now bought all have a problem weighing anything less than 50 grains so I can't believe they are very accurate and some of the claim testing we are doing needs better accuracy. Is there one out there (maybe Bill sells) that will do the job better?

If weighing grains is the main job for the scale conside a digital powder scale, they have to be accurate on small amounts (ie 3 to 5 grains) I used my balance scale (made by LEE) to weight small amounts and it worked.

hope that gives you some ideas to look at

Like Rick said: If you are more intent on weighing just grains then I would invest in a good scale that reloaders use for their measuring. I have both and it looks like the "old" way is still the best. Digital works great BUT you really need to invest in an expensive unit if you want true accuracy.

Lee makes a decent one but you can always find one on craiglists.

Good luck and Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Most flip type digital electronic scales are only accurate to .1 gram. But, there are number of electronic scales out there that are for weighing gemstones and powder and are accurate to .01 carat. (1 gram = 5 carats) or to .1 grain. They are not your cheep ebay unit for a few bucks. Probably the best brands are Ohaus and Tanita and Presidium. As mentioned before, best bang for the buck is a reloading scale, unless of course you are willing to spend some serious $$ to get a digital scale.

For most instant gratification, ballpark type weighing, I just use a .1 gram accuracy digital. For really accurate weights down to .01 gram accuracy I use a "My Weigh" MX-50. It comes with a 50 gram calibration weight and costs around a hundred bucks, but is quite reliable as long as I utilize a very stable surface (two inch thick butcher block in my case), eliminate all air convections and not allow a heat source such as an electric light, too close. And, oh yeah, the dog has got to be out in the back yard because even just 63 lbs trotting through some part of the house will interfere with an accurate measurement.

For most instant gratification, ballpark type weighing, I just use a .1 gram accuracy digital. For really accurate weights down to .01 gram accuracy I use a "My Weigh" MX-50. It comes with a 50 gram calibration weight and costs around a hundred bucks, but is quite reliable as long as I utilize a very stable surface (two inch thick butcher block in my case), eliminate all air convections and not allow a heat source such as an electric light, too close. And, oh yeah, the dog has got to be out in the back yard because even just 63 lbs trotting through some part of the house will interfere with an accurate measurement.

No wonder my scale goes nuts whenever I try to weigh some small Franconia iron weighing a couple of grains! :tisc-tisc: I guess I could just lock myself in the bathroom and weigh them there. :confused0013: Will try it out today and see what happens.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

I have a scale that I think will satisfy all your needs for the smaller stuff, I'd suggest getting this one-

http://www.digiweighusa.com/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=58

I use one to weigh my gold in grains when I'm drywashing, here's a post I made using it a little while back-

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index...showtopic=11570

Here's a link for it on eBay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-0-002g-DIAMOND-SCAL...1QQcmdZViewItem

I highly recomend it for measuring the really small stuff. Since it only goes up to 20 grams anything larger than that and you'll have to get a bigger one.

Trust me, this is a really good scale, it measures milligrams (0.001 grams).

Del

Yeah it's a reasonably priced (less than $50) digital scale for weighing the really small stuff. It comes with a little tray, a small thimble (you can see this in my post), some small weights for calibration, and tweezers. One thing thats really nice about it is that it doesn't give you wild weight fluctuations like Micro Nugget describes above because the surface area you weigh on is really small.

The only gripe I have about it so far is the tray. The one that came with mine isn't perfect and it throws the scale off a little bit. I figure I must have gotten a defected one and thats ok with me because I don't use it anyway (I prefer using the thimble).

I've seen jewelers using these scales with the tray and I figure if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. Of course it's probably not as accurate as a powder scale, but for the price and accuracy, I think it's perfect for the weekend prospector. Hope this helps.

Del

• 6 years later...

I bought a very inexpensive scale from Harbor Freight for around 12 bucks. Works great.

The reviews were good. Follow the instructions, check it with calibration weights and it's very accurate. The one I got from HF is no longer available there, but it is at Amazon. A little more expensive, but a good scale.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-1000-Digital-Jewelry-Pocket-scale/dp/B0016PF0SU

61KPuboXZxL._SL1500_.jpg

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

I have a Cheep Harbor Freight scale.

It claims to be good to .1 Gram.

I measured 10 pre 82 copper pennies (3.11) grams each and it came close enough for me. I don't have any wish to measure things down to the Grain.

Any thing I measure is in grams or close. I agree that a Powder Scale would do the job but I just don't need it that small. Gold dust I do in 1/16th gram or larger amounts. I have no need for that small. Nuggets in the Grain size go in the same pile

Edited by homefire

Yea well I hope I didn't rip any one off. LOL

That's cool. I did a boo boo on that post anyways the least I sell is 1/4th gram. Sorry.

I have the scale that Saginaw pictured. It does read as little as .01 grams, although when the gold is .05 grams or less, it'll read.01 grams differently each time I put it on the scale. We dig and process samples, sometimes twenty five gallons, and then we can estimate grams per ton by multiplying by four. We've classified another twenty five gallons of + 1/2" material out of the sample.

The scale also went bad after 12 months. The box says a 5 year warranty on the front, so I'll try to return it.

Those that measure to 0.1 grams equals +/- $4

For people that are buying gold that measured with such a scale, you may be paying $4 too much or getting a good deal....

That 1/4 gram is also +/- $4

My sale was at the flea market. I shot for 1/4 gram in small Veils People scarfed up what I had.. I was happy , they was happy. I based the price on current values and it worked for me and them. I could have sent it to the melt shop and got the same or less. This was more fun. Yea, sort of Black Market Gold. OOOOOPps. To late now. I have no records they have no records and I may be making this story up.

Here is a well priced scale with some wow factor and accuracy to .01 grams. I can order it for you if you want, it is $21.15 plus shipping

http://www.stuller.com/products/51-4063/?groupId=110994

Hi El D.

Can I order one too? Would like another scale to carry in my pack. Like the hard case this one has.

Saginaw

We can do a group buy. Let's see how many might like one?

Never thought about grains unless measuring powder. No Sure about Penny Weights. To English for me. I like TOz and Grams.

240 pennies to the ? was over my top.

Homefire,it's twenty pennyweights(DWT) to the troy ounce.Easier for me to figure out the value of the gold,since two pennyweights is 1/10th of an ounce..you divide the 1/10th into the spot price of the yellow and basically there's your value.