Nugget Shooter Forums

Kid, Candy Store, Christmas...

Ok, well maybe I went a bit overboard, but it sure felt like all of those. After the outing and talking with John B and Paleface, I decided to cut one of the questionable Gold Basinites :nutty: :shrug: . The outside was a bit different than those found and really had some questionable characteristics :hmmmmmm: . So, I looked up the local S. NV Gem and Mineral Society to use their chop shop and see what was exactly inside :whoopie: . After cutting another rock that I had found, the meteorite got whacked in no time flat. It was truly like Christmas. I couldn't wait to see the inside. Once it got polished, boy did it look good. Although, it looks pretty normal for a meteorite, I'm thinking it probably is a Gold Basin and not of the other varieties down there. I'm thinking the only real way to test it, is to have it chemically tested, but really that's probably a bit too much just for my curiosity. But it was fun cutting it....now I need more meteorites to cut :idea: :tisc-tisc: .....does the fun every stop???????? (not really) Jason :;):

post-1008-1193553023_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1193553035_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1193553047_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1193553057_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1193553068_thumb.jpg

Very nice Jason......Looks great , now I got to get me one of the gold basin meteorites for my shelf.

I am getting ready already for the Dec Franconia outing.......look out here I come...

Rick, I know what you mean. I haven't been down there in a long time :PO2: , and need to plan a day to go. Work has me swamped, so it might be until Dec. until I get down there :grrr01: . Don't give on GB either, just try lower in elevation :innocent0009: ...Jason :;):

Very nice Jason......Looks great , now I got to get me one of the gold basin meteorites for my shelf.

I am getting ready already for the Dec Franconia outing.......look out here I come...

I thought I heard rumours of a December Franconia outing! :woohoo: Looks like each trip made out there will be used to stock up on some firewood for December because I know it gets pretty cold out there at night. So, does anyone have a date set yet or what? :hmmmmmm:

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

Stan, last year Bill did it around the 15th of Dec. Looking at the calendar, the 15th is on a Sat., so probably around that same time frame. But that's just a guess :hmmmmmm: . My anniversary is on the 15th, so I probably won't make that one :Huh_anim]: :PO2: . I guess I'll have to stock up on meteorites in the coming months. Jason :;):

Jason,

:opps: Now ya went and done it. Opened up one of those goodies and now you are hooked. Took me about 50 pieces before the urge to slice let up. Kinda like opening up presents, something different in each package. Remember to pick a bad end and slice it off instead of halving. I had the rockhound mentality for cutting rocks (geode style) when I started cutting meteorites, now I just take the end off. Try to cut the small ones with a 6" x .012 diamond blade if the chop shop has one available. They may not have one that thin on their saws because most students tend to force the rocks and thin blades will not withstand rough treatment. I like the thin blades because the cutting loss is very little.

Nice job on your first one.

Thank you for posting pictures of the antique mini dry washer and also of the demonstration at GB.

Jim

Hi Jayray and All

Whacking rocks with a saw is a sickness many a meteorite hunter gets :POsmiley01: !! It's a real hard sickness to rid yourself off as well :shrug: !! Heck I had to take up smoking, give up drinking and grow a beard to shake it :Huh_anim]: !! I still get the shakes when I'm tooo close to my saw in the shed :tisc-tisc: !! Breaking the habit of luggin home leaverites hopin for meteorites is just about as bad :1zhelp: !! It's why I bought the darn saw in the first place :opps: ?? I guess it's just the life of a space rock hunter :angry-smiley-010: ??? Happy Huntin John B.

Jim, Yeah I didn't even think to cut a piece of the end, I went straight for the middle :grrr01: :PO2: :WOW: . I guess I've learned from that lesson, but it still is interesting enough just to cut it.

John, glad I had only one to cut....Hmmmmmm, I do have some Franconia pieces I could cut, maybe, just maybe :hmmmmmm: :shrug: . OK, I'll quit for now. Might have to plan a trip to Franconia to gather some more chondrites or chalcedony or what ever else I can find. I might also be going to look for some trilobites too, up by one of the WSPA claims. Man, this is getting out of hand...Jason :;):