Nugget Shooter Forums

Taking pics on Mars

I finally got myself a nice camera for taking pictures in the field and I had to take it out and give it a test run.

Right now I'm working up at JPL in Pasadena, so I figured it would be the perfect place to give it a test run. I went into the Mars yard viewing area and tried to get a pic of the MER mockup. The pic didn't turn out the best because it's behind glass and I had to be quick about it. Dang I hope I don't get thrown in jail for this! :shrug:

Had to try some close ups too, so I grabbed some of my finds.

It looks like the camera works perfectly!

Oh yeah, I bought a Canon PowerShot SD1000 Digital Elph. It's nice and small and I think it will be perfect for field use.

Del

Now if you can only figure out a way to hook up some LARGE coils on that thing and set it loose :icon_mrgreen: at Franconia or Gold Basin we could give it a real test in some hostile enviroment while we just sit at camp and :coffeetime: !

Love that one iron to the left with the impact crater showing.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

Now if you can only figure out a way to hook up some LARGE coils on that thing and set it loose :icon_mrgreen: at Franconia or Gold Basin we could give it a real test in some hostile enviroment while we just sit at camp and :coffeetime: !

Love that one iron to the left with the impact crater showing.

Aloha, Stan aka Kaimi

Uhhhhh Stan, those are 1/2 gram Chondrites and not little irons. You usually get the small impact craters on the irons, not the Chondrites. Could somebody correct me if I'm wrong here?

Del

Del,

I may be wrong but I think that Stan is referring to the small dimpled one in the picture with quite a few pieces. It does look like an Iron, but that big dimple is not an impact. I have not seen impact craters on any chondrites. What size is that cube? Looks like you got yourself a nice camera there.

Jim

Del,

I may be wrong but I think that Stan is referring to the small dimpled one in the picture with quite a few pieces. It does look like an Iron, but that big dimple is not an impact. I have not seen impact craters on any chondrites. What size is that cube? Looks like you got yourself a nice camera there.

Jim

Yeah your right Jim, at first I thought he was talking about the pic with the little 1/2 grammers in it. Thats a 1.5 gram iron, I messed it up when I tried to clean it with CLR, BIG MISTAKE! It took the patina right off of it. The cube is a 1cm scale cube (about 0.4 inches). I figure if my camera can take close up pics like that it will be perfect for field use.

Del

Hey Del,

Your camera does a nice job with meteorites. Of course, it's really the photogragher BEHIND the camera that makes or breaks a good picture. Nice work. I've got you scheduled for two weddings and a Bar Mitzvah later this month!

Ben

dont use auto on the camera.

you knob will have Av and Tv on it

Tv is like shutter speed

and Av is apperature

so just adjust thoes for better pics than auto.

we use those cameras for yearbook

[Erik]

Yeah go ahead and schedule me for whatever Ben, can't guarantee "professional" pics though... I barely know how to turn this thing on right now! :laught16: I'm gonna have to hit your kid up for some advice.

I've got a test on igneous rocks next week in my geology class so I decided to go over to the lab and take pics of all the samples I have to memorize. They didn't turn out the best because I still have the stock memory card in so I had to take low resolution pics.

So today at my job it turned into "camera show and tell day" since I brought my little guy in yesterday. Dang cameras are ego issues for some people. It's funny, you think man is not that primitive, but when you run in situations like this it's the same thing as apes beating on their chests! :laught16:

Very nice cameras though, but I wouldn't want to lug these things around in the field with me all day!

Del

dont pay attention to the lenses, its the camera that counts, cannon and nikkon make the best ones.

i really want one cause they are really cool.

see how they have the Av and Tv things on the knob?

if you slow the shutter speed(Tv) down you wont have blurry photos.

and if you raise the apperature(Av) you get brighter pics.

you can probably use high shutter speeds because your not taking action

photos and dont have to worry about streaks and blurrs.

once you focus on your shot dont just push down the button to take it,

if you hold it for a half a sec with just a little pressure(not enough pressure to make it click) it will auto focus with pin point acuracy

Say Paseclipse,

I occasionally work at JPL too. Do you have any dealings with Chuck Burrill in Environmental Compliance? I was the guy who caught the bear just before open house a few months ago. The JPL photogs that filmed the capture promised me a copy of the footage but never came through. I was walking on water that day and I've been wondering how much was caught on film.