Nugget Shooter Forums

775 gram Franconian found

Kaimi

Yep you are reading right! Found me two pieces that fit together on 9/27 while way out there in Franconia. One piece weighs 274.5 grams and the other weighs over 500 grams as my scale hits overload. It looks like a 600 gram rock. I also estimate that the missing piece should weigh in at 175-225 grams when found. Yeah baby, I am going back to see if I can find that missing piece before someone else does. Hopefully no one has found it yet as these two pieces were about 35 feet apart.

Sorry cant post any pics since Toshiba lost my laptop a couple of months ago and I am still fighting with their customer service department.

I will definitely try to make it out to Gold Basin for the outing just so I can share this find and show you guys that there are still a couple of honkers out there.

Guess this means I am going to have to get my camo gear out for my next couple of hunts. hehe!!

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi

Yep you are reading right! Found me two pieces that fit together on 9/27 while way out there in Franconia. One piece weighs 274.5 grams and the other weighs over 500 grams as my scale hits overload. It looks like a 600 gram rock. I also estimate that the missing piece should weigh in at 175-225 grams when found. Yeah baby, I am going back to see if I can find that missing piece before someone else does. Hopefully no one has found it yet as these two pieces were about 35 feet apart.

Sorry cant post any pics since Toshiba lost my laptop a couple of months ago and I am still fighting with their customer service department.

I will definitely try to make it out to Gold Basin for the outing just so I can share this find and show you guys that there are still a couple of honkers out there.

Guess this means I am going to have to get my camo gear out for my next couple of hunts. hehe!!

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi

Nice work Stan. You've been putting in your time and deserve the reward. I look forward to your pics. Good luck with Toshiba.

mick

Del & Stan

Bought a scale as I found only 40 to 60 gram pieces in Gold Basin. Thought 500 would be more than I needed. :laught16::laught16: Two days later I found the 555gram and had to go the post office to get the weight. :laught16: Just goes to show you.

Wayne :icon_mrgreen: :escape:

Stan,

:whoopie: :wubu: ...........WTG........ You were over due to score a good find. You never mentioned, were they sticking up there like mushrooms, or were they tucked under like taters??? Hope that you can find the missing piece.

Jim

Stan,

:whoopie: :wubu: ...........WTG........ You were over due to score a good find. You never mentioned, were they sticking up there like mushrooms, or were they tucked under like taters??? Hope that you can find the missing piece.

Jim

The larger of the pieces was on the surface just under a bush and the second one was a short distance away with about half of it buried. If I can make it out to the GB outing I will definitely bring them for a show and tell around the campfire.

Now if I can just find that third piece it would make all my driving and walking worth it for sure.

I dont know for sure but I may be out there on tuesday 10/2 and sunday 10/7.

Aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi

Just got back from Franconia today and will be mailing my pics to Del so he can post them for me. BTW, I did not find that third piece but I found two small fragments that have the same look and texture and they were about 12 feet away from where I found the large piece. Found a bunch of irons just a little north of this spot and one nice piece weighing 12.2 grams. Doesn't look like a chrondite because when I filed a window is shows nothing but nickle. Will bring it to the GB outing so someone can let me know.

May have to go back on sunday again but will know for sure in a couple of days. Covered over 10 miles according to my gps tracks and my body is saying "Enough already". Weather was just beautiful and the wind actually picks up around 2pm.

Aloha y'all,

Stan aka Kaimi

Couldnt wait so I went to the Post Office and had them weigh my two pieces. It came to 1pound 12 ounces. Can hardly wait to show it off at Gold Basin in a couple of weeks. :woohoo:

Pics should be posted in a couple of days by Del.

BTW Del, I owe you a steak at the Gold Basin outing so dont bring one.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Now if I can only find one Gold Basin meteorite for my collection I will be happy. But to really make my year I need to get that third piece.So it looks like I will be spending a LOT of time out at Franconia walking and swinging my GMT.

Aloha,

Kaimi aka Stan

Post Office weighed my latest find and it came out to 1lb 12oz. which should be around 794 grams. Hope someone coming to the GB outing has a scale larger than 500 grams as I really want to get an accurate weight. Del should be posting the pics any day now so you shouldnt have to wait till the outing. BUT I will be bringing it along so a couple of you guys can give me an opinion on what type of meteorite it is. On that thought just maybe when everyone looks at it they might recognize the missing piece as one that they have found. That would be a miracle in the making! :innocent0002:

See y'all soon.

Aloha for now, Stan aka Kaimi

Stan, you can be sure the Post Office scales are correct...so, as long as your gram conversion is accurate you have the correct weight. If I go to Gold Basin I will be stopping at Franconia on the 19th and try for a bigger piece than the little bit I got last year on my adventure...I am wondering where I should devote my time for the best chance...North side or South side??

Fred

Stan, you can be sure the Post Office scales are correct...so, as long as your gram conversion is accurate you have the correct weight. If I go to Gold Basin I will be stopping at Franconia on the 19th and try for a bigger piece than the little bit I got last year on my adventure...I am wondering where I should devote my time for the best chance...North side or South side??

Fred

Looks like you may run into Del (paseclipse) out there on the 19th and just maybe ME! We will be hunting the north side as we like to tune up our ears hunting them little irons. They are just a riot to hunt BUT you really have to work at it. A couple of weeks ago I followed some ATV tracks way north and just out of curiosity turned on my GMT and was going to use it as a starting point. BAM found me two nice irons a couple of feet away from where the tracks turned around. Guess they were in a rush and didn't think to check the area. It sounds like that one guy who found a small gold nugget a couple of months ago in the area we all use as a campsite. You would have thought to search the parking lot/campsite. DUH!! :Huh_anim]:

If you see a blue jeep wrangler, it,s mine so give a look see and shout out if you see an old fart with a lot of gear on.

Aloha, Stan

Thanks Stan...if I see an old fart I will think I am looking in the mirror...I am not so young and pretty as Mr B...thinks he is...I thought the nugget was found on the south side nearer to the Havasu claims??? Gold in the hills on the north side would make things even more interesting!

Fred

Thanks Stan...if I see an old fart I will think I am looking in the mirror...I am not so young and pretty as Mr B...thinks he is...I thought the nugget was found on the south side nearer to the Havasu claims??? Gold in the hills on the north side would make things even more interesting!

Fred

Yep, that little nuggie was found just on the other side of the wash that we all use as a camp site on the north side. You had to see the look on this guys face when he approached us with the news. We were dumbfounded and thought he was just messing with us until later when we were sitting around the campfire.

What a find. Now if I can only start finding some gold too at the GB outing it will make me happy.

Aloha and see you soon,

Stan aka Kaimi

Stan,

I also thought that the nugget in question was found on the south side, just over in the next wash to the west of where everyone camps, and where we all have camped when we have outings. Are you saying that everyone now camps on the north side, across the tracks in the wilderness area or private property area?

Jim

Hi Jim

Boy!!! I sure am confused. :hmmmmmm: North!! South!! What campground?? :confused0013: Todds backhoe is ready for the challenge. :postdigger: :laught16: By the way how big is this nugget??? I am not to surprised given the Gold in the area but I have asked Larry over and over on this subject and he always says no not in this area yet. Maybe yet has happened. I finally asked Todd to give me his Grams for Franconia. He's no bragger. 5700+grams. :WOW: About 3500 grams since we shot the DVD. darn young guys. All that youth is wearing me out. I'am sure proud of him. :whoopie:

Wayne :icon_mrgreen: :escape: