Nugget Shooter Forums

I'll post this here because it seems like a good place to get a good discussion going about meteorites and meteorwrongs.

DSCN1725.JPG

DSCN1726.JPG

I purchased this supposed "meteorite" from a dealer (who will remain un-named at this time) who claimed it was a genuine Holbrook. I have seen many photos of Holbrook meteorites and they kind of resemble this piece. I have had this specimen visually inspected by an expert hunter and collector and even he was unsure it was a Holbrook much less a meteorite. We placed it under a microscope and viewed it under 400 magnification and we are still undecided.

The physical characteristics are similar to a Holbrook however upon closer examination the specimen exhibits some unusual traits.

Clue # 1 that it might not be a Holbrook: It is not very magnetic. It does pull somewhat when a neodymium magnet is placed on or near it but it is barely noticeable, and even then only on one side of the stone.

Clue # 2: The "fusion crust" that the dealer drew my attention to is bubbly. What I mean is when viewed under the microscope it is slightly shiny and has what looks like a blackened and bubbled rough textured surface not unlike melted plastic or asphalt.

Clue # 3: It's not very heavy at all. The weight is only 5.77 grams. It's about 2 centimeters wide and one centimeter thick. I have meteorites half that size that weigh as much or more.

The reason I am asking this question is obvious. I would like to know if I purchased a meteorite or a meteorwrong. I do not wish to accuse anyone of any wrongdoing which is why I chose to withhold the name of the dealer. If it turns out that this is not a meteorite, it is possible the dealer who sold it to me was merely mistaken. Therefore accusing them would be premature and wrong. If it turns out the dealer sold me the rock knowing it was not a meteorite then I will release the name of the dealer.

I am doing this in a public forum is simply to allow others the opportunity to comment on and discuss about this supposed meteorite. There is sufficient evidence that it might in fact be a fake meteorite.

Photo # 1 shows the surface of the stone and looks as if it has been heated artificially. The blackened bubbled surface looks "weird".

I'm open to any explantions, opinions, and comments on this rock.

Thanks,

Eric

I agree... I'm going to send it to a lab as soon as I find someone to look at it.

It's possible it's not a meteorite at all and if not I want to know.

I know the photos are kind of blurry. Sorry bout that... Does anyone think this "fusion crust" looks a little weird?

Eric

I'll post this here because it seems like a good place to get a good discussion going about meteorites and meteorwrongs.

Clue # 1 that it might not be a Holbrook: It is not very magnetic. It does pull somewhat when a neodymium magnet is placed on or near it but it is barely noticeable, and even then only on one side of the stone.

Clue # 3: It's not very heavy at all. The weight is only 5.77 grams. It's about 2 centimeters wide and one centimeter thick. I have meteorites half that size that weigh as much or more.

Thanks,

Eric

Since the Holbrook is classified as an L-6, it sure won't be as magnetic as many other meteorites but you DO have a slight attraction. Having said that- It's not going to weigh nearly as much as another meteorite the same size with a much higher iron content.

I'm certainly no expert but I think those facts fit the bill for being a Holbrook. :twocents: :twocents:

Steve

Since the Holbrook is classified as an L-6, it sure won't be as magnetic as many other meteorites but you DO have a slight attraction. Having said that- It's not going to weigh nearly as much as another meteorite the same size with a much higher iron content.

I'm certainly no expert but I think those facts fit the bill for being a Holbrook. :twocents: :twocents:

Looking at it you can't really tell... The magnetisim is very low, and even then it only magnetic on "one side" of the stone which I find really odd. Also I've held a couple "genuine Holbrook meteorites" and used my magnet on them and they were WAY more magnetic than the stone I have.

The fusion crust just looks suspect to me. There's a part of the crust doesn't look like any real fusion crust I've seen... It's TOO BLACK and bubbly. That's no to say it's not fusion crust but it's certainly weird.

I would like to cut it but don't have anything to cut it with. Would cutting it in half would destroy the value if it is a meteorite? What would you suggest I cut it with?

Sorry about all the questions at once... :)

Eric