Nugget Shooter Forums

Hunting Location Request

Hello Everyone,

First off I would like to thank everyone for all their tremendous feedback filled with excellent suggestions, great advice, and of course their opinions on my inquiry about Metal Detectors. I can’t begin to tell you how much I enjoyed reading all the comments that everyone provided. It was truly very informative and enlightening to learn and understand about the many different types of detectors out there. And there is soooo much more for me to learn and understand……. And yes, once I get a unit, I will learn to become one with it.

Next week I plan to travel out to Chicago, IL to purchase a vehicle and drive it home. I will more than likely be driving back thru the South-West, via I-44 SW to Oklahoma City where I’ll take I-40 W into S.Cal, then up the state to the South Bay Area (which is where I live).

Now on to the question at hand. What I like to know is where would you great folks recommend stopping at to do a little Meteorite Hunting? Strewn Fields, Dry Lake Beds, etc…. I know I will be going right thru the Holbrook Strewn Field, and will also be driving just south of the Gold Basin, Strewn Field, which are places I am planning to go. Seeing that I am so new to this, I was hoping to get some suggestions on other places as well. The States I’ll be driving thru include: IL, MO, KAN., OKLA., TX., NM., CO, UT, AZ., and of course CA., I don’t have a set way of the trip back to California, and plan to visit several friends on the way back, so there is the possibility that I’ll end up going thru any of the states both south and or west of Chicago…… Although it isn’t the fastest way back, I would like to come back the south-west route just so I go thru the several Strewn Fields in AZ, and also the Mojave Desert.

Any recommendations would be very welcome.

*** One of the things I would like to request is more or less “exactly” where to go, and if you have GPS coordinates, and or maps that pin-point areas, that would be FANTASTIC! I have spent countless hours on the web and reading books and articles and although I have found a few areas that point out exactly where there at, the fact is most of what I found is very general in nature. I.E: “the Gold Basin area” , “the Holbrook strewn field”, etc….. I have the general idea of where these are, but I need exact destinations, and or GPS coordinates.

*** I read John B’s message on the “Gold Basin” and Ownership issues. That was a outstanding bit of information you posted John! As a home/land owner, I can certainly understand some of the issues and concerns these property owners in the Gold Basin (any property owner for that matter) area have. I consider myself to be very understanding and respectful of others privacy, property, etc. The last thing I want to do is unwillingly end up on someones land without permission or without an invitation.

With that being said, does anyone have a map or any other way of helping me determine what land is BLM, which is privately owned, etc….. for the Gold Basin area, as well as Holbrook. Also, if you have some recommendation of area to go hunting and can provide me with this info as well, I would sure appreciate it!

Also, in regards to the Gold Basin area (or any other you may recommend as well) does anyone have a list of people, corporations, land developers, etc, who may own property in or around that area to which I would want to contact if I wanted to search for meteorites on their land?

Again, Thank You to Everyone, your help, suggestions, advice and opinions, as well as your patients is greatly appreciated and made learning about Meteorites and Metal Detectors very enjoyable!

Dave

You migh consider looking up info on Franconia by doing a search of this forum.

Franconia is just off of I-40 at the 13 mile marker.

Gold Basin is about 60 miles from I-40 and I think there is a lot of info on here for Gold Basin also.

hope that helps

Hi Rick,

Thank you very your input, I have been trying to find as much info as possible here and everywhere else on the net. I have had a very exhaustive search that has only got me general ideas of where to be looking.

I hope I do not offend you, but your reply is what I mean by general info. For those of you who have been around for a long time, and/or are very experienced, your suggestions on where to look probably make sense, but for someone like me (or perhaps it’s just me….) this is very vague. The “Gold Basin” being 60 miles from I-40, for me that means it could be anywhere that covers several hundred square miles, if not more……. The same with “Franconia”, I’m not even sure what Franconia is …. I think it’s a road? But if it is, how long is it and where abouts would I start my search? A mile down the road?, 20 miles?, what side of the road do I want to be on?, how far from the road should I be, a foot? A hundred yards, a thousand?……..etc.etc.etc

Again, I very much appreciate your feedback, and I truly hope not to offend you, certainly not when you are trying to help me out. I do hope you and others can put yourselves in my position, and understand that I literally have no idea where this area is, or anything about it whatsoever.

I guess the best way to describe the kind of information I need as to where to look for Meteorites, is to imagine yourself at these areas, say “Gold Basin” & “Franconia”, and you need to give directions to a friend or family member that has never been there.

Again, thank you for your help as it is always Greatly Appreciated!

Best Regards,

Dave

You migh consider looking up info on Franconia by doing a search of this forum.

Franconia is just off of I-40 at the 13 mile marker.

Gold Basin is about 60 miles from I-40 and I think there is a lot of info on here for Gold Basin also.

hope that helps

Dave I hate to tell you this but asking people for specific places to hunt with coordinates is the same as asking a fisherman where his good fishing holes are. :ziplip: Unfortunately, your going to get very general answers on this topic because people who hunt and consistently find meteorites and gold have spent many many long hours in the field finding spots that produce, and when you find a good spot it's very foolish to just hand over information about it to someone you really don't know and have never met. I wish it was that easy, but it just doesn't work that way.... understand?

Del

Another thought here Dave- for hunting Franconia, there's a DVD you can buy that MobileHolmes sells (his name is Wayne, I'm sure you've seen some of his posts on the forum). I think he usually sells them on eBay though I did a quick search and nothing came up. Here's a link for it to an old auction-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meteorite-Hunting-in-t...9QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe you should try to contact him for this, or Wayne, if your reading this maybe a nice little plug in here to help this man get one of your DVD's?

It's an excellent DVD to buy because it will help point you in the right direction.

Del

Hi Del, et. all

I can certainly understand that if someone has found an area that they would like to keep as their own little spot, they do so. And I’m not asking anyone to provide me with there “secret” area.

I guess I should have explained and asked my question a bit differently. I actually am looking at a general location, but not so general that it covers several hundred or thousand square miles. For example, my understanding is that the “Gold Basin” strewn field is approximately 7 miles long by 3 miles wide. My question is, where is this strewn field specifically?. If someone has a special area that has taken them hours upon hours to find within that area, by all means, I would expect them to keep it to themselves. The same goes for “Franconia”, to which I am not even sure what this is…… But if they can just give me the general coordinates for these areas, that would be a tremendous amount of help to me.

I don’t think that is asking too much. Like I said, I’m new to this and just looking for some guidance. I realize I haven’t met anyone here yet, but that should change come next month as I am planning on attending the get together. I can’t begin to tell you how much I am looking forward to this.

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone, as I certainly do not wish to. I’m just trying to figure out where to start from.

Best Regards,

Dave

Dave I hate to tell you this but asking people for specific places to hunt with coordinates is the same as asking a fisherman where his good fishing holes are. :ziplip: Unfortunately, your going to get very general answers on this topic because people who hunt and consistently find meteorites and gold have spent many many long hours in the field finding spots that produce, and when you find a good spot it's very foolish to just hand over information about it to someone you really don't know and have never met. I wish it was that easy, but it just doesn't work that way.... understand?

Del

Thanks again Del, I'll order one up ASAP!

Cheers,

Dave

Another thought here Dave- for hunting Franconia, there's a DVD you can buy that MobileHolmes sells (his name is Wayne, I'm sure you've seen some of his posts on the forum). I think he usually sells them on eBay though I did a quick search and nothing came up. Here's a link for it to an old auction-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meteorite-Hunting-in-t...9QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe you should try to contact him for this, or Wayne, if your reading this maybe a nice little plug in here to help this man get one of your DVD's?

It's an excellent DVD to buy because it will help point you in the right direction.

Del

I will be visiting Franconia on friday 9/21 so I will get you some gps coords starting with Exit 13 on I40 and leading you to a parking area south of the tracks. Once over the tracks heading north you will encounter an area about 4miles wide by 6 miles deep. Sound general enough? I will pm you once I get back with further info friday night.

Aloha for now,

Kaimi aka Stan

And No I am not giving out my gps coords to the several spots that have been very lucrative to me and Del. I will point a finger tho!! :laught16:

I will be visiting Franconia on friday 9/21 so I will get you some gps coords starting with Exit 13 on I40 and leading you to a parking area south of the tracks. Once over the tracks heading north you will encounter an area about 4miles wide by 6 miles deep. Sound general enough? I will pm you once I get back with further info friday night.

Aloha for now,

Kaimi aka Stan

And No I am not giving out my gps coords to the several spots that have been very lucrative to me and Del. I will point a finger tho!! :laught16:

Dave,

That area north of I-40 that Kaimi is talking about is pretty easy to find. There is plenty of area to wander around in. Combine that with Uncle Ron's map and you are set. You should plan on spending some time out there. It's a big area. You can't go out and spend an hour and hope to find something. It's possible, but you really need to get out and cover some ground. At least you know the ground you're covering has potential.

mick

Hello Del and LunarMan (and All)

Thanks for the Plug Del. :whoopie: The new Item # on Ebay is 160160029225 . As all of you know, that have bought one, it was taped in Franconia however it works in all existing strewnfields. For those who have not seen the DVD it happens to have the elipictal field map for the Franconia Field and I-40 running through it. (PAUSE) The EXPERT STARS in the DVD are the best in the business so grab some popcorn and pay attention. Awhile back a guy who goes by the handle (Paleface) posted a street name on Gregs Hide Out Rd that was dead center in the field in Gold Basin. :innocent0009:

Thanks again Del

Happy Hunting

Wayne :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Hi Wayne,

I sent you an email about purchasing one of your DVD's via eBay, if you haven't gotten it, I give you my email here so we can touch basis and I can get a DVD out my way.

Thank You,

Dave daveandzeus@sbcglobal.net

Hello Del and LunarMan (and All)

Thanks for the Plug Del. :whoopie: The new Item # on Ebay is 160160029225 . As all of you know, that have bought one, it was taped in Franconia however it works in all existing strewnfields. For those who have not seen the DVD it happens to have the elipictal field map for the Franconia Field and I-40 running through it. (PAUSE) The EXPERT STARS in the DVD are the best in the business so grab some popcorn and pay attention. Awhile back a guy who goes by the handle (Paleface) posted a street name on Gregs Hide Out Rd that was dead center in the field in Gold Basin. :innocent0009:

Thanks again Del

Happy Hunting

Wayne :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: