Nugget Shooter Forums

A very magnetic Nantan meteorite

Hola forists. We bought from a well known meteorite seller, a piece of Nantan siderite. We have found that it is so magnetic, that it can hold in some specific angular points, a paper clip. We think, it is due to the formation of magnetite on the surface of that superficial angular area, cause of it weathered state. Below, a picture of the meteorite, and a second picture that shows it holding a paper clip.

Hasta la vista,

larense

post-879-1190186115_thumb.jpg

post-879-1190186176_thumb.jpg

Hi Larense:

It certainly looks like it might be a meteorite but I've never heard of one being able to pick up paper clips before. :hmmmmmm: I find it hard to believe a coating of magnetite on the surface would be strong enough to pick up paper clips, so I'm not convinced it's a meteorite. Anyone ever hear magnetic meteorites? :hmmmmmm: I sure haven't.

Steve

Hola Goldfinger. We also have pieces of S-A and Campo del Cielo, and they really do not have this high magnetic properties. The Nantan specimen we have, we bought it from Mr. W. H. ( IMCA Menmber ) at Ebay. So, we trust it is a real Nantan one, but a wery weathered one and a geologist friend, told us it perhaps has oxidaded areas that could had become magnetite oxide, in the weathering process. BTW, when we put the Nantan siderite near a compass, the needle starts to going round in a very fast way, that other iron we have, only move it in a very slowly way.

Maybe, others forists can help with their opinions.

Hasta la vista,

larense

Hola. A short review of the Nantan ( Nan Dan ) siderite.

NAN DAN, QUANXI PROVINCE, CHINA.

The Chinese considered meteorites to be sacred stones from heaven. Lihu and Yaozhai towns, Nandan County, Guangxi, China. 25 degrees 6? N, 107 degree 42?E Nantan iron meteorites represent one of the rare witnessed iron meteorite falls in the world. The fall in 1516 was recorded vividly -- "During summertime in May of Jiajing 11th year, stars fell from the northwest direction, five to six fold long, waving like snakes and dragons. They were as bright as lightning and disappeared in seconds." So far almost all the iron meteorites found in the world are discovered meteorites, that is, no one witnessed any fall. The Nantan is a exception. The Chinese people actually saw the star falling nearly 500 years ago. No one paid attention to the historical record about the fallen stars at Nandan until 1958, when China needed a lot of steel to push the country "Great Leap Forward". During this period, everyone was told to look for iron ore. Even cooking pots were melted in back yards to produce steel. Some farmers at Nandan, mainly Yao minority, were lucky enough to keep their kitchen tools by finding some heavy Iron-rich rocks. Unfortunately, the "iron ore" would not melt at the backyard steel factory, which puzzled the farmers. They reported to the government and scientists. Researchers arrived and proved the "iron ore" to be iron meteorites.

Detailed mapping showed that the Nantan meteorites were distributed in an area of 27 - 28 Km long and 8 Km wide, overlying Permian limestone and surface soils. The occurrence of northwestern elongated zone concurs with the historical description of falling direction. Nantan meteorites have different shapes: spherical, triangle, flat-iron shaped, elliptical, semi-sheered, tongue-shaped, irregular, and so on. Fresh meteorite surfaces are black, and commonly characterized with angular or round melted pits. The ones deeply weathered are brown and lack of melted surface. Many Nantan meteorites have been restored (acid cleaning) to a bright finish so that the natural etching is evident and coated to prevent oxidation. The size of Nantan meteorites collected ranges from 1 gram to 2,000 kg. Total weight is estimated to be 9,500 kg. The average Chemical composition in the Nantan meteorites are: Fe 92.35%, Ni 6.96%, belonging to IIICD type of iron meteorite based on the taxonomy of Wasson and others (1980). The following trace elements have been detected: C, Cu, Co, S, P, Cr, Ga, Ge, As, Sb, W, Re, Ir, Au, Ru, Pd, Os, Pr, and Mn. Ag, Cd, and Pb isotopes have been analyzed by many Profs.

Hasta la vista,

larense

one way to find out for sure is to try and grind/polish a window and see if it is metallic iron, it should be if it is a real nantan, I have done it to many nantans I got from ebay and all turned out to be fake. I will never buy another "Nantan from ebay everyone I got was a fake, I have purchased like 4 or 5 of them total. The only authentic one I got was a slice I got from a member of my forum, Phil Morgan.

Best,

Joe K

Hola, forists amigos. Well, something is going on here...from another forum....and after our request.....another Nantan fragment was tested,and it also resulted as a weak magnet in some superficial areas of it. Now, ours specimens could be lodestones, but the friend sent also a picture of one he has, and it is very different from the Nantan fragments we both have. Below the pictures, and any opinion is welcome.

Hasta la vista,

larense

Nantan2_003.JPG

The other fragment of Nantan

Nantan4_004.JPG

The other Nantan holding filed steel

Lodestone_004.JPG

The lodestone holding a paper clip

Hola. We started this thread, cause of a list mail of an italian friend, asking if Nantan is naturally a magnet. Look at the very bottom of the Ebay action page......it seems a lodestone, for the many object it can holds. Well, any other opinion is welcome.....experts....¿ Where are you ?

Visit My Website

Hasta la vista,

larense