Nugget Shooter Forums

Holbrook Meteorite

Greeting to all you meteorite buffs out there,

George, Doug and I spent yesterday (Friday) in the Holbrook strewn field. This was my first trip there. My opinion, what a horrable place to look for meteorites. That being said.

Doug, is the rookie who hunted Franconia and Gold Basin with us, and was skunked at these two places.

Meeting back at the trucks at lunch time, Doug pulled out a hand full of rocks. The largest rock was the one that he figured was no good and just about threw it away. But he thought, what the heck, I take it back and show the guys. Did he think to take a GPS reading! Hell no, he left his GPS in the truck.

Well, as it turned out, his almost thrown away rock is a terrific 38 gram Holbrook. A piece that most of us would kill for (or almost).

So the Holbrook strewn field finally gave up another one of its hidden beauties.

Here are some pictures of it. Assuming I can figure out how to do this.

Happy meteorite hunting,

Bob

post-951-1189909052_thumb.jpg

post-951-1189909077_thumb.jpg

post-951-1189909090_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

Being new here and to Meteorites, I have to ask. What is horrible about Holbrook? I've never been there and know very little about it, so I'm very curious.

Cheers,

Dave

Greeting to all you meteorite buffs out there,

George, Doug and I spent yesterday (Friday) in the Holbrook strewn field. This was my first trip there. My opinion, what a horrable place to look for meteorites. That being said.

Doug, is the rookie who hunted Franconia and Gold Basin with us, and was skunked at these two places.

Meeting back at the trucks at lunch time, Doug pulled out a hand full of rocks. The largest rock was the one that he figured was no good and just about threw it away. But he thought, what the heck, I take it back and show the guys. Did he think to take a GPS reading! Hell no, he left his GPS in the truck.

Well, as it turned out, his almost thrown away rock is a terrific 38 gram Holbrook. A piece that most of us would kill for (or almost).

So the Holbrook strewn field finally gave up another one of its hidden beauties.

Here are some pictures of it. Assuming I can figure out how to do this.

Happy meteorite hunting,

Bob

there are no rocks just bushes to hide meteorites from those who only want the easy finds out in the open. One day a meteorite will lie covered and uncovered the next.

All you have to do is walk around with a magnet on a stick.

no metal detectors

how easy is that!?

i like the wind and the rain sometimes too!

:rainyday:

I just throw in my ipod ear phones and walk for 8 hours.

its easier than franconia haha

[Erik]

Hi Guys,

Why didn't I like to hunt Holbrook? I like to hunt with a metal detector. Like the fellow with the I pod, I can swing my detector while day dreaming until a signal brings me back to reality and I then dig up the meteorite. Franconia and gold basin are like that. With so many rocks and desert pavement covering the ground, hunting with a magnet seems like an exercise in futility and a lot of impossible work.

Doug, who found the Holbrook meteorite was only using a magnet cane. He looked for hours before he found any rocks and his meteorite was in a group of stones.

I on the other hand was swinging my metal detector but had no clue where to look. Sand and more sand everywhere. One hill seemed like a big densly packed sand dune.

I realize that there is one area that has terrible amounts of salt but where I was hunting, I had no touble hunting or ground balancing my detector. I don't understand why the not detector statements my by everyone who ever hunted there. I have no doubts that if I had crossed my detector coil over Doug's meteorite, I would have found it. In fact, when he brought it in, I immediately placed it on the ground and passed my coil over it. It sounded out loud and clear.

Anyway, after lunch I put my detector over my shoulder and looked for surface rocks. which seemed to be far and few between. Sometimes I swept my detector over them and sometimes I used my magnet. On one occasion I was using my magnet and a small rock was picked up. Taking a good look at it today, I believe it to be a small Holbrook, 1.2 grams. But being so small, even with a hand lense it is hard to tell. Fileing one end point shows metal while the other end shows rock.

Enough rambling.

Happy meteorite hunting,

Bob