Nugget Shooter Forums

OK, I'm sure many of you detecting at one time or another have been startled by a snake, mountain lion, "ants-in-the-pant" or some other animal :hmmmmmm: :WOW: . Well, Franconia has it's own Jackass (or Burro) lurking around and scared the pants off me while detecting yesterday :Huh_anim]: :WOW: . I guess it was interested in me as I was in it. :hmmmmmm: But when your not expecting it, it really gets your blood pumping :yikes: . The jackass came from the tree line snorting and huffing, making all kind of noise. May be it lost it's prospecting partner or owner.....Jason :;):

post-1008-1189193402_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1189193413_thumb.jpg

yeah tons of them use those washes like highways.

i think Jim said there is a place for them to drink water way north in the moutains.

[erik]

The first time I heard a Jackass out there in Az was last december when a friend and I showed up pretty late in Stanton one night while we were setting up camp. It was pitch black and all I heard was that sound they make. It scared the living crap out of me because I had never heard one before. I thought it was a sasquatch or something coming to get us. Of course my friend let me suffer a little bit before he told me what it was. Needless to say he had someting to bag on me about for the rest of the trip.

Del

Jason,

A-Yep, they can scare the crap outta ya. Many years ago (1960's) out in the Black Mts. over close to Oatman, my wife, children and I were hunting fire agate and I hid myself back up behind some rocks for a mother nature call, just got the trousers down when one of them let loose with that bray. I came out of there trying to pull my britches up and run at the same time, fell down and was greeted with a roar of laughter from the family. They had seen the burro's making an exit. Even to this day, when one lets loose unexpectedly, it gives me a start.. There is a burro dirt wallering spot just above the twin RR tunnels. I have observed them around there quite often. The plentiful grazing along Sacramento wash has probably brought a few more than normal down out of the upper range. There are several springs up high above the RR tracks. They are above the strewnfield.

Jim

The last one I saw was a different shade of grey and had one crooked ear. Yes, it startled me also and now I dont wear my headphones !

BTW, I have seen my share of jackasses but this one takes the cake for originality. :laught16:

Nice to see that you are back and having fun again. Hope to run into you soon.

aloha for now,

Stan aka Kaimi

Stan, you can say that again....

BTW, the LVGPAA is having an outing next weekend, down at GB on the Bahde claims, just for info. I've got my son's birthday party on Sat. so I won't be able to make it. Jason :;):

Well once down by Ransburg, we saw a couple of camels, I though I was seeing things, but then every one else saw them too. Someone said they were off spring of some turned lose by the calvery in the early 1900's. Grubstake

Grubstake, I'm thinking if I saw a few camels, I probably needed to drink more water :Huh_anim]: :laught16: ....pretty crazy. The desert has many surprises, and those are only the ones above ground :Huh_anim]: ...

Jason :;):

OK, I'm sure many of you detecting at one time or another have been startled by a snake, mountain lion, "ants-in-the-pant" or some other animal :hmmmmmm: :WOW: . Well, Franconia has it's own Jackass (or Burro) lurking around and scared the pants off me while detecting yesterday :Huh_anim]: :WOW: . I guess it was interested in me as I was in it. :hmmmmmm: But when your not expecting it, it really gets your blood pumping :yikes: . The jackass came from the tree line snorting and huffing, making all kind of noise. May be it lost it's prospecting partner or owner.....Jason :;):

Here's a picture of an ass I found down at Dolan Springs. I had my picture taken with him and havent see my ass since :laught16:

Allen in MT

post-227-1189475558_thumb.jpg

thats funny cause when my dad and I where out near lake pleseant we where followed by a heard of wild donkeys.

It started out as like 8 playing then the females and babies ran off

and 4 males stayed to keep an eye on us.

post-1245-1189480165_thumb.jpg

post-1245-1189480314_thumb.jpg

post-1245-1189480399_thumb.jpg

I was down near yuma hunting gold and sleeping in the bed of my dodge truck...I woke up in the dark of night with that "something is looking at me" feeling...two or three aliens were peering over the side-of-the-bed considering how to disect me...it was a bunch of wild donkeys and they ran like hell when I screamed like a girly-man....

Fred

First time I went to Oatman, had a sandwitch stolen by one of those city dwellen burros. They hang around town and scarf up the turisto's food. My daughter thought it was kinda funny for dad to pay the high price for a sandwitch just to lose it to a burro, Wyndham

Although the Oatman Burros are very interesting, way back I was traveling up Pacific Coast Highway to Hearsts Castle..

And I saw a Zebra, did a double take. Then my wife saw it.

An odd thing I saw by Oatman, was Miner Annie. I was driving by (125 degrees) and I saw a old woman in a yellow raincoat around 2-300 yards of the road digging in a hole, I later found out that she was well known in the area, and always eat, drank and roomed for free when in Laughlin. She was a local legend prospector.

Camels near Randsburg...... WHAAAAT :confused0013: I grew up ten miles away from there and spent a lot of time in the desert.... never saw a camel. I do remember seeing some Jackasses when I was very young out in the desert here in Cali a few times. Occasionally my family and I would see them right in the middle of a bombing range near Edwards AFB. Strangely enough we only saw them a few times............. I wonder why.... maybe they were strafe targets? :shrug:

I'm with Erik on this one, a lot of good stories here... I think Jim's is the best so far.... it almost made me cry because I ran into a similar situation only it was with some people :laught16:

Keep'em comin, this is a good thread.

Del

The burros used to be really thick around Lake Havasu area in the early days in the 70-80's. Unfortunately they are detrimental to native wildlife. Many have been destroyed, and, or removed from areas critical for Bighorn Sheep habitat. The thing to remember is they are not native wildlife, and are a ferrel population and destructive. They take over watering holes and will not allow native species such as deer and sheep to use them. :coffeetime:

The song of a Rocky Mountain Canary is a sweet sound

to some.

Ferral maybe, but they could be some of the oldest legal

immigrants,and have won the right to be there.

Life would have been a lot harder for an old prospector,

miner, or explorer without them.

The little fellers packed,pulled,served guard duty,and was

the only company some of these old guys had for months.

Several rich mines and lodes are credited to them and

their wandering ways.

Give ole Jack his head and he will find water. Watch his

actions, and he will tell you if some claim jumping, no good

dry gulcher is around.

He will pack your stuff in and pack your gold out. Plus he

will listen to your dumb stories,after you have been there

too long. All this for a scratch behind the ear or a little grub.

If things went real bad,you could eat him.

Yeah they wreak a little havoc with the land and critters,but

so do we. Now about those sheep.

The Fish and Game released several in an area closed to

humans. Because according to them Big Horns and humans

just couldn't be. Three days later the sheep took up residense

in down town Moab.

The goats would march across the bridge and single file

their way along the highway to town too.

Maybe those burros could redeem theirselves by volunteering

to chase sheep and goats back to the land of no touch. :laught16: