Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boba Debt

Refining Scrap Gold Jewelry

I doubt this is the right place to ask this but I want to refining some scrap jewelry via the melting process (if possible) and was wondering if anyone knew how to do it.

If not, does anyone know of any forums that discuss this?

Unless you have a really good background in chemisty, I would seriously suggest having someone else refine it for you. Here's a link to an article on some of the methods used- all of them dangerous. You can find a refiner that will turn your scrap into gold for a %.

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/ajm-...-2-recovery.htm

Steve

I haven't found any that will refine it and send it back.

They all just want to send you a check for your gold.

Boba: I've heard, secondhand, that 14K rings and such, when melted, tend to result in a glob with a silver exterior and the gold hidden deep inside like the yolk of an egg, if not done correctly. I've seen folks use a large (about 36" diameter) freznel lens to melt fine gold and other things out in the desert. But you need eye protection just to watch because the solar energy thus concentrated and focussed is so strong it actually fuses the desert sand into molten glass. In other words, very messy and quite apt to cause injuries -- serious ones. Good luck, but take care.

I doubt this is the right place to ask this but I want to refining some scrap jewelry via the melting process (if possible) and was wondering if anyone knew how to do it.

If not, does anyone know of any forums that discuss this?

Not sure what end product that you are trying to achieve, if it is .999 purity, then

the link that Steve gave you is the straight dope. Trying to do a limited amount of refining via the melting process is quite trying and usually does not give you a good finished product. I tried doing it at home quite a few years ago and ended up sending much of my scrap in to Indian Jewelers Supply in Gallup N.M.and exchanging it for 14K sheet and wire. I also did quite a bit of casting, using mostly 14K with an occasional 18K piece thrown into the melt.

If you run across a good honest refiner, post the information on this forum. I have accumulated a large amount of karat scrap and several buckets full of sterling scrap down thru the years that I would like refined into bullion.

Jim

I haven't found any that will refine it and send it back.

They all just want to send you a check for your gold.

The International California Mining Journal used to have a couple ads from who people would take your your scrap jewelry, fines, ect -refine it for a small % and send you the bar. I haven't seen an issue in a few years but perhaps someone can get the info and post it here.

Steve

Guest Bandana Don

MORNING All: IN THE PAST I'VE FIDDLED AROUND SOME WITH AQUA REGIA AND FOR SURE IT IS NASTY STUFF!

ASAT (AMERICANIN SCOIETY OF APPLIED TECHNOLGY-- SILVER CITY, NEW MEXICO) MARKETED A VIDEO ON SSN (SUPER SATURATED SALINE) WHICH PRODUCED .999 AU. I BELIEVE THIS VIDEO IS STILL AVAILABLE FROM KENNY ASHLEY IN SILVER CITY.

THE SHOR INTERNATIONL LINK LOOKS PRETTY GOOD TO ME BUT I'D LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS USED THEIR SMALL SYSTEM AND WHAT THE RESULTS WERE AS WELL AS COST/GRAM OF .999 GOLD, ETC.

DON

I contacted the David H Fell Company and I learned quite a bit during a short conversation with one of their technicians.

I think for what I am doing their product exchange is my best option.

Basically, if I sent them 10 ounces of 14k gold jewelry I would get back about 5.25 ounces of .999 casting medium or shot, which is tiny beads of gold.

I also contacted the Shor International and their Simplicity machine seems like a good deal.

It uses electrolysis to refine the gold.

Paleface, you might want to invest in one of those machines to refine your scrap, if you do let us know how good it works.

Whats the best place to buy scrap?

I was going to hit the pawnshops but would an ad in the paper do any good?

How much trust can you put into the karat markings on jewelry?

I would think that the machine would end up being cost prohibitive as compared to the quote that you mentioned. Sending in 10 ozs of 14K scrap would equal 5.833 ozs of fine gold and getting back 5.25 ozs of fine casting grain in exchange, they are withhoulding .0574 ozs of fine gold which would amount to $37.94, or about $7.23 per returned ounce. They are also keeping the 4.167 ozs of alloy, which is probably a little over 2 ounces of pure silver and about 2 ozs of copper. That would amount to about $26, making a total of about $64 for refining the 10 ozs of scrap. Sounds like a fair deal to me, you would have to refine a bunch of karat gold at home to ever break even on the machine and chemical costs.

I at one time ran an ad in the local paper as well as putting up want ads everywhere that I figured to reach the selling public. Senior centers are a good place to advertise. Hitting all the yard sales and inquiring as to whether they have any junk jewelry or broken jewelry they might like to sell usually produces some good results.

You can usually trust most karat markings on jewelry but it is best to do a quick inexpensive test. Test kits are available for every karat. I would only suggest the 3 needle kit, 10k,14k and 18k. With this kit you can approve and dis-approve anything under and over. I personally only use nitric acid as I have developed an eye for the different results. When in doubt, ask your local jeweler to check it electronically.

Jim

I agree with Jim- If you're just going to have a few pieces refined- better off just having someone else do it for you.

If you're thinking of turning it into a side business- there's probably a lot of competition out there since quite a few people have the same idea you do. I've seen some serious overbidding on Ebay for gold scrap and I don't know what some of those people are thinking. I also wouldn't go around thinking you're going to able to purchase all the scrap you want.

The equipment from Shorinternational isn't everything they're cracked up to be as I see a few problems. . Remember the old adage- If it's too good to be true- it usually is.......

A lot of toxic chemicals are used in refining - no matter which process or equipment is used. You would probably be better off just doing your own research and buying the equipment you need. It would certainly be a lot cheaper.

Steve

The tech crunched the numbers on 10 ounces of 14k gold and the final number was $174 for the total proseccing fees.

"I would only suggest the 3 needle kit"

Can you explain this in more detail or if you want email me your phone number and I will give you a call.

The tech crunched the numbers on 10 ounces of 14k gold and the final number was $174 for the total proseccing fees.

"I would only suggest the 3 needle kit"

Can you explain this in more detail or if you want email me your phone number and I will give you a call.

This link will answer most all your questions on testing kits. It also lists the 3 needle kit as well as replacement supplies.

http://www.shorinternational.com/TestGold.htm

Did the tech that crunched the numbers on the 10 ounces of 14K gold break it down for you? Are they asking for cash as well as metal depletion? My estimation was hindered by a brain fart, I moved the decimal point over a tad..... :laught16:

1 oz of 14K gold scrap has .5833 oz of fine gold.

10 ozs of 14K gold scrap would have 5.833 of fine gold.

If they were to give you back 5.25 ozs of fine gold, that would represent a loss of .583 oz of fine gold at approximately $650.00 an ounce at todays quote. That represents a loss of $378.95 in gold, plus the silver and copper that they would retain. My figures suggest that they would garner a little over $400 on the deal, less their actual refining costs.....

Jim

I can't remember every charge associated with $174 fee but i do remember that they take 3.75% of the gold value, and then there was a $35 assy fee, 3.75%, shipping fees and a couple other fees.

I read about the needle system and I understand how it works, but i think people would be hesitant to let me scratch their jewelery, even if they intend to sell it.

I might buy one of those Mizar M24 electronic testers.

I can't remember every charge associated with $174 fee but i do remember that they take 3.75% of the gold value, and then there was a $35 assy fee, 3.75%, shipping fees and a couple other fees.

I read about the needle system and I understand how it works, but i think people would be hesitant to let me scratch their jewelery, even if they intend to sell it.

I might buy one of those Mizar M24 electronic testers.

Shor International Corp. kinda tells it like it is in their advertizing with their reference to bench sweepings and the costs per 10 ozs of fine gold. My reference to $400 for a little over 5 ozs would fit into that type of figuring.

http://shorinternational.com/simplbrochure.htm

With the needle test kits,you are not scratching the jewelry. You are rubbing it on the test block, no damage is done to the jewelry. Have you ever had a jeweler offer to polish your gold jewelry for free? Some women think that this is really free and jump at the chance to have it done often. A buffing wheel takes off a small amount of gold with every swipe. Same thing happens on the test block and there is no visible damage to the jewelry.

If you are going to buy a large amount of karat gold, the electronic tester would be the way to go and is fast and quite reliable.

I was not aware of the forum that Steve provided the link to. After a little surfing, I found it to be interesting.

By the way, are you contemplating making a .999 fine gold sphere..... :yikes: A 50MM one would consume a whole bunch of 14K scrap...... :brows: .........Nice collection of meteorite spheres that you are building.... :wubu:

Jim

I have been out of touch with the forum. Been out mining all summer.

This thread certainly is down my alley too. Get the 24K grain as your exchange....... You can always re-alloy it if you decide not to make it from 24K. This is probably going to be a long term project, just collecting the gold will take awhile. You will also have to figure about 15 % extra gold for the casting and surface finishing from the casting process, most of which will be returned after a cast and you should be able to recover the gold used in the process of grinding and polishing.

The scratch test,is just as explained and not damaging......... anybone selling you an amount of scrap gold will certainly let you do the test. Or you can just trust the karat markings, they are pretty accurate as the fine for a jeweler short karating gold is very severe............ Get a jewelers loupe and visit Nevada pawn shops!

Hi Guys:

If anyone is serious about getting the simplicity gold refining system from Shorinternational- I can put you in touch with someone that can tell you how to make the unit for $300.00. Not only that - you won't have to pay the ridiculous prices for the common chemicals used in it.

Send a pm if interested...

Steve

Get a jewelers loupe and visit Nevada pawn shops!

Hi Guys:

Anyone here know how the pawn shop business works with regard to gold jewelry? I would think they lend money based on a certain % of the gold spot price -then sell at spot or close to spot. How would anyone buying gold jewelry from a pawn shop make any money?

Steve

Maybe you should just consider doing one of these

post-1252-1186244125_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys:

If anyone is serious about getting the simplicity gold refining system from Shorinternational- I can put you in touch with someone that can tell you how to make the unit for $300.00. Not only that - you won't have to pay the ridiculous prices for the common chemicals used in it.

Hey Steve,

Very interesting subject.

I have a question regarding shore's system for removing gold from electronics.

Specifically I am trying to extract gold from older intel CPU's. (286,486,pentium 1's) I would like to find out if it is cost affective to do myself.

Long term It will be something that I will continue to due, I own a small electronics recycling company.

I really appreciate any guidance and advice. Does it come down to the cost of the chemicals that you have to get ?(simplicity)

Thanks again ,

Colin

Steve

Hi Guys:

Steve

hey ! i want to buy this simplicity gold refining system from Shorinternational- pls guide how i can get it cheaper. thank you- harshad dantale

hey ! i want to buy this simplicity gold refining system from Shorinternational- pls guide how i can get it cheaper. thank you- harshad dantale

Harshad,

You may or may not get a reply to your question, this topic is 5 to 7 years old, the reply you quoted is 7 years old, however that member is still active on the forum but it has been about 3 months since he visited the forum.