Nugget Shooter Forums

Input on a find...

Guest meteorite huntress

This is really a nice ax-head!

Do you find other artifacts there or was this your first vacation to this area?

Thanks for sharing,

Moni

Hola , King and Moni. For the last 25 years, we have been rescuing archaeological material rests in our conutry state ( Lara - Venezuela ), but here, unless the polished stones have the same form, we think they were used for pottery making...like chissels.. for sticking together the rolled-bars of clay aboriginal people used to make to fabric ceramics. We will upload some pictures of these stones we have gathered. They are of different sizes, and one has also magnetic properties ( the brown color stone )

Hasta la vista,

larense

post-879-1185210575_thumb.jpg

post-879-1185210618_thumb.jpg

post-879-1185210676_thumb.jpg

If the white spots are metal in the third photo, then it looks like a meteorite to me. :ROFL:

Nice find :icon_mrgreen:

It’s interesting… I know someone that always finds arrowheads near meteorites. And you find that axe head… nice piece.

Can you say what state you found the meteorite

:icon_mrgreen:

Actually, I was just kicking around my hometown. Erie, Pennsylvania.

Thank you for the input about the axe head. It came from the field around my parents house. Seneca, Eriez, or Iriquois I think. Rather bloody Native American battles in these parts.

=========

Yes, the white spots are metal in the meteorite candidate. So any input on pros and cons of the meteorite candidate?

Guest meteorite huntress

Hello!

You wrote:

Yes, the white spots are metal in the meteorite candidate. So any input on pros and cons of the meteorite candidate?

Sure, the best way would be to get it classified or looked at in an institute were meteorites are being handled.

UCLA has several Cosmochemists; one who has classified my meteorites is Alan Rubin.

http://www.ess.ucla.edu/researchers/rubin/

That would really be outstanding if the tool ends up being a meteorite!

Good luck,

Moni

Where was the possible meteorite found? Was it in PA or a dessert, it looks to me kinda like a desert find? The exterior looks like slag a bit. Are there any apparent chondrules? It could be industrial slag, I found nearly 100 pieces of slag that I was sure were meteorites. We found them in the same area. After testing it was concluded that they are terrestrial slag. If you see opaque chondrules in with the metal you may very well have found a meteorite. Some of the ones that I found had what we thought were chondrules, most were translucent, but they turned out to be terrestrial sand/silica. I hope yours is the real thing. If so would it be your first find?

Nice ax head. I to have found may native American artifacts, including axes heads, they are very interesting and mean a lot to me due to their history.

Good Luck,

Joe Kerchner

My meteorite website

Sky Rock Cafe Meteorite Forum

I think its "a bust" guys and gals.

2 week later the cracks looked like an egg fallen on the ground. I could bust it up with my fingers this time. slag-a-licious crapola stone.

At least the ax head is authentic.

Mohawk Iroquois circa 1400-1500. Primarily used for wood, not scalps.

Read here:

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/IroquoisVillage/villagefour.html

This stuck out in particular to me:

"During the later period when iron axes came into common use, it appears that useable stone axes were purposely broken in half and thrown away."

• 2 weeks later...

Hola King_Martini. We want to insist, that the smooth - tear drop - shape stones, were used to make pottery, and the one pictured below, are the real axe-stone heads, used by warrior male northamerican aboriginal people.

Hasta la vista,

larense

0002_1_lg.jpg