Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mag99004

Basic Meteorite ID question

That rock has all the signs of low level breakup :whoopie:

JohnB:

What are you looking for in a meteorite to detect signs of a low level breakup? (as opposed to any other type of breakup)

Steve

Hi Steve

The angular edges of the piece. If that was the complete all there was piece it would be pretty well ablated smooth and have the characteristics of a spud with some thumbprinting. It would also have a heavy thick crust kinda like on the fractured part of it. Gold basin and a lot of the larger franconias are high level breakups where there still is lots of rounded edges some thumbprinting. The lower break ups somewhere just before dark flight have a lot of the angular characteristics of this piece. There is definatly lots more of this stone out there. Yet it could be miles from where it was found. If this was found where others have been found ( Rye Patch) that wouldn't suprise me. If there are more pieces found in the immediate area 1/4 mile or so they will probably fit on this piece. Happy Huntin John B.

Hi Steve

The angular edges of the piece. If that was the complete all there was piece it would be pretty well ablated smooth and have the characteristics of a spud with some thumbprinting. It would also have a heavy thick crust kinda like on the fractured part of it. Gold basin and a lot of the larger franconias are high level breakups where there still is lots of rounded edges some thumbprinting. The lower break ups somewhere just before dark flight have a lot of the angular characteristics of this piece. There is definatly lots more of this stone out there. Yet it could be miles from where it was found. If this was found where others have been found ( Rye Patch) that wouldn't suprise me. If there are more pieces found in the immediate area 1/4 mile or so they will probably fit on this piece. Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John B:

I see exactly what you mean. :hmmmmmm: If it had been a high level breakup - the friction from the atmosphere upon entry would have rounded off the edges on the meteorites more and you wouldn't have nearly the sharp angles that you see. That makes perfect sense to me. I never would have thought of that on my own just by looking at it. Now I can look at other specimens and view them from a little different perspective.

Thanks for the explanation :wubu:

Steve