Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mag99004

Basic Meteorite ID question

So, I found this in N. Nevada. It was on the surface and set my detector off at several feet. I'm wondering if it's a lump of hematite or if there's a chance it's a meteorite. I'm thinking about taking it to a local university but thought I would post it here first. What do you think? Is it the real thing :headphones: or a rock :tisc-tisc: It's about 7"x4"x3". :confused0013:

Thanks,

post-646-1181881320_thumb.jpg

post-646-1181881337_thumb.jpg

I would sure check this one out at a university or someplace. Sure has all the signs of being a meteorite. :whoopie: Let us know the results.

Steve

Hi Mag,

The patina on the specimen sure does give it the look of a meteorite. You need to take a file and make a "window" on a corner to see the interior. Is it very magnetic?

Good Luck, Ben

The magnet on the end of my pick definitely stuck to it, but I tried something less powerful like a refrigerator magnet and it wasn't very attracted to it at all.

Bigrex dropped by after work last night and checked it out. I actually posted it at his suggestion. I didn't think it was a meteorite because when I researched meteorites online it said most won't leave a streak when you try a streak test and this did. A reddish-brown streak kind of like hematite. But when rex looked at it he said it doesn't really look like hematite and after looking at it up close said he's pretty confident(but not sure) its a meteorite. :hmmmmmm:

I guess I just need to run it to the university, I know two profs there fairly well even though I wasn't a geology major. Any other input/comments are more then welcome. It's tough trying to keep from getting my hopes up. :unsure:

I'll let you know what I find out.

Eric

Eric:

I don't think a detector would set off on a piece of hematite from three or four feet- no matter how large it was. The red streak you talk about might just be the desert varnish that covers the surface. Magnets won't have a real strong attraction to hematite. Those refrigerator magnets won't hardly stick to anything - period. If you can file off a small window on it to see if there's any metal showing like Ben mentioned in a previous post- that will give you a much better idea. I'm going to make a bold prediction and say it's a H4 - H5 stony chondrite just based on the information you've provided. :feedback:

Good luck

Steve

Eric:

I don't think a detector would set off on a piece of hematite from three or four feet- no matter how large it was. The red streak you talk about might just be the desert varnish that covers the surface. Magnets won't have a real strong attraction to hematite. Those refrigerator magnets won't hardly stick to anything - period. If you can file off a small window on it to see if there's any metal showing like Ben mentioned in a previous post- that will give you a much better idea. I'm going to make a bold prediction and say it's a H4 - H5 stony chondrite just based on the information you've provided. :feedback:

Good luck

Steve

Hmm, thanks for the input Steve. You better quit posting though, your getting my hopes up. I'm now officially set up for dissapointment... :;):

I hope your right, maybe I'll have to set aside some of the more important things on my to do list and make an early trip to the university. :hmmmmmm:

The detector actually only picked up from about 2 ft, hopefully that still isn't a good sign for hematite.

Thanks again.

Eric

Hi Mag

Now you have to trust me on this :innocent0002: ?? I don't like giving opinions by photos Because it's too easy to be decieved :hmmmmmm: . But from the looks of your photos I'm reasonably certain that IS a space rock :bowdown: :bowdown: !! Something to check is file a small edge and look for particles of bright shiny silver looking metal. Badly weathered space rocks will leave a minimul streak but they are a much harder composition than Hemitite or Magnatite. Hemitite /magnatite will continue to leave a streak rubbing the same surface area of it .Wheras a spacerock will streak on the weathered surface only leaving a minimul streak only some varnish and surface rust off of it then it won;t streak. Those are some pointers ?? Something else that's extremely interesting is there is almost certainly more in the immediate area and probably lots more material within a few miles of your find location. I've made many posts on strewnfields and maybe you should go through the archives and read up on your probable meteorite new find :whoopie: !!! Happy Huntin John B.

And the inevitable question, "what's it worth"? I guess first you'll have to confirm what it is, but the value then would also be an interesting question. Those gps coordinates we swapped for nuggets found really turned up a big one. I guess I missed that chunk, :1153: I'll have to head back out there sometime and have a look...good luck with the ID.

Rex

Try this:

Look at it with a 10X hand lens, these are a must for all meteorite hunters, and look at it closely. :Huh_anim]: If you can see yellowish or goldish colors, then that's a good sign. :whoopie: Look for roundish chondrules too. Magnetite is always grayish black and Hematite tends to be reddish-brown or gray. Your piece looks promising to me.

The next thing I would do is return to where you found it and take coordinates with a GPS. Look at other rocks in the vicinity; was this one different? Are there other rocks that are magnetic? If this piece you found was an odd rock for the location, that that’s a good sign too. :whoopie: After that I would cover the area like a fine tooth comb, and perhaps do so digging.

Best of luck and keep you nose to the ground :bek082:

Hi Rex and All

That's a good question :confused0013: !! Lets assume that I'm correct and it's a space rock :twocents: ?? Question number one is is it part of an existing known find ?? Like Majuba mountain ?? Or is it a new unknown find ?? The next question is how material is yet to be found ?? My guess is probably quite a bit. When Jim and I discovered gold basin 3 years of hunting and 300 lbs of material at the time of the announcement we could wholesale it to dealers at 2 or 3 bucks a gram they in turn could double or triple their moneys and many did . Within a few months later the waves of hunters and everybody had lots of material and suddenly you couldn't give it away at 25 to 50 cents a gram. As the material is getting harder to find the prices are rising and currently between a buck and 2 bucks a gram retail, Larger pieces maybe a little less !! The last and most important question is what is it ?? Ordinary chindrites L s and H s don't generate the values as Achondrites, carbonacios chondrites and a wide assortment of other collector prized material. At the time of the gold basin announcement there was an unusual peak in the meteorite market with the release of the films Amageddon (my all time favorite flick) and Deep Impact which created a meteorite ownership buying frenzy !! Also at the time of the gold basin announcement there were only about 24 known finds in Az and around 1/2 dozen in Nevada !! Az probably is well over tripled it's finds and in Nevada ,Sonny Clarey has single handedly almost beat all of Az's numbers of finds since then !! With so many people and detectorists learning to hunt and identify space rocks from thier gold basin and franconia hunts the whole market is in change ?? Sooooooo I know they are only worth exactly what you can get for it and not one penny more :innocent0009: !! I think :hmmmmmm: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Sure would like to see a window filed in that light area on the lower left side of picture Nr. 2. As John B. said, A whole bunch of bright shiny white metal specks would be a welcome sight.

Jim

Hi ,

Your rock looks real good. I would have someone check it out. The best thing to do is place a small window on the back side .Look for a different color than the exterior,chondrules and iron. You could ask someone in your area to cut a small piece off. If it does turn out to be a meteorite keep the location quiet! If you found one chances are there may be more.

Sonny

Hi Mag,

I sent you an email thru this forum, not sure how that works.

You may find it in your junk email file, however.

Attached is a photo a photo of one guy, John B.?? who does

just about everything, just looking at his business??? card.

He is holding my Nevada meteorite, Majuba 3.

The other fellow is Rob somebody... :woohoo:

~LARGO~

Hi Largo and All

I'm the only handsome one in the picture :hmmmmmm: !! The other fellow isn't really that tall he's just standing on a box :laught16: !! Largo you ever gonna send me a piece of that rock :confused0013: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John B

You bet!

I just need to get it sliced up a little.

The problem with this rock, it is so fractured, that it is hard to cut without winding up with lots of LITTLE pieces.

I bet Bob V. has some of it...I sent him 80 grams..

LARGO

I'm pretty sure Mag99004 is off in Nevada for the time being...

Hi Guys:

Anyone seen or heard from Eric lately? Just wondering if he found a meteorite strewnfield or if it was a meteorwrong.

Steve

Hi gang! Well, since everyone is saying it's might be a meteorite, I'm going to say it isn't. Why? Because I can :innocent0009: and figured nobody else did :laught16: . I'm hoping I'm wrong, so I can get my nose back in the books and study more about meteorites. It really looks convincing, but I'm saying no :Huh_anim]: because of the symmetery. The edges of it look too good for a chrondrite, but that's just my opinion and :twocents: . If maybe we were saying it was an iron, then again a definte maybe. Let's prove me wrong, take care and good luck!!! Jason :;):

Hi gang! Well, since everyone is saying it's might be a meteorite, I'm going to say it isn't. Why? Because I can :innocent0009: and figured nobody else did :laught16: . I'm hoping I'm wrong, so I can get my nose back in the books and study more about meteorites. It really looks convincing, but I'm saying no :Huh_anim]: because of the symmetery. The edges of it look too good for a chrondrite, but that's just my opinion and :twocents: . If maybe we were saying it was an iron, then again a definte maybe. Let's prove me wrong, take care and good luck!!! Jason :;):

Hey you stop worrying about those meteorwrongs and concentrate on getting back home in one piece. How many days left on your short timer calander? I am looking foreward to an outing in your honor and in honor of all the VETS.

-Sgt. J USMC 85-92

-Joeforthegold

Very nice find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be pretty surprised if it turned out to be anything other that a meteorite, a very beautiful one, congrats!!!!!!! If you have cut it or polished a window in it would you be kind enough to show us, I bet the interior is beautiful, most are. That one is very nicely crusted!!

Happy Hunting,

Joe Kerchner

http://illinoismeteorites.com

Eric,

Congrats on the positive identification of your Meteorite at the university! As you know I went out there with the 20" coil and didn't find a thing. Guess that one was meant to be yours.

Rex

Hi Mag , Rex and All

There is absolutly, positively with certainty more of that space rock out there somewhere :innocent0002: . That rock has all the signs of low level breakup :whoopie: .However the other pieces may be miles from it :hmmmmmm: . Somewhere there is a lot of that material still sittin probably on the surface or really shallow :confused0013: . PS. Don't pay attention to Jayray's comments he was in training :laught16: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Thanks Rex and John,

I got a positive ID on it a little over a month ago. But between Home and finishing my degree I've been time poor. I check the forum a few days per week but haven't posted much. I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out to be genuine.

Rex -

I'm sure there are more out there, just a matter of luck I guess. I'm working on getting some slices made, I'll post some pics once its done.

I never thought I'd get into meteorite hunting but this has definitely made me decide to start.

Thanks again for everyones advice.

Eric

Eric:

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see if it pairs with any other meteorites.

Steve