Nugget Shooter Forums

so here's a question

I'm wondering why there would not be a few meteorites to be found on the Great Salt Lake Desert in UT. It's been in existance for about 12,000 years from what I can tell, and covers 4,000 square miles, and much of it is covered in white salt. A lot of it is accessible despite the Airforce base, Wendover Gunnery, Dugway proving grounds, Bonneville race track, and the Indian Reservation. Has anyone ever heard of someone going out there and looking for meteorites? I have not, but I don't know much about it. Would the alkali salt eat up meteorites like an acid?

Rex

post-1023-1181627340_thumb.jpg

Rex:

I think the salt would tend to cause meteorites to "weather" much faster then normal but that's not to say it wouldn't be worth your time looking anyway. There could be some relatively recent falls that haven't had a chance to be affected as much. If I was living in that area- that's definately one place I would search with a 4 wheeler. :twocents: You just never know what you might find. If you do go out there- try and keep the sun on your back whenever possible. It makes a world of a difference trying to locate dark objects on a light background. The best times to hunt would be early AM - and late PM. Midday tends to wash everything out- at least that's been my experience.

Steve

Bigrex,

It looks like a beautiful place to try. There are only a couple of concerns I see. One, is what Goldfinger pointed out; I don't think a meteorite would last long in that area. Second, would be (at least I have noticed on crusty dry lakes) that when a meteorite falls to the ground it will burry itself under the crust or in your case the salt layer. Of course, bigger ones should still be visible; they should stick out like a sore thumb on that white background.

I say it is worth a shot if you have some sort of ATV to drive. That would be a lot of walking if you don't.

**Just my non-expert opinion**

Scott

yea the one problem with the atv is if it has rained lately at all the salt flats turn into one huge muddy mess and can get cars and atvs stuck very easily there are always a few people each year who just drive off the highway out there and end up getting stuck so if your guna go out and hunt there make sure it has been very dry for a few weeks. hey and as long as your out there why not try and set a new land speed record for atvs :laught16:

Goldfinger, SoCalNovice, garimpo, Jared J,

Thanks for the input it's always helpful to get great minds together. :idea: Sounds like if it gets that soft it might sink meteorites. I think I'll need a paraglider with a huge coil attached. :smack: and submerged meteorites I suppose might turn into rusty spots in the salt relatively fast. I guess it would be semi-practical to use an atv dragging a coil, but as garimpo mentioned, it's just such a big place.

Rex

Rex:

I read someplace there's an average of 6-8 meteorites per square mile although most of them are probably smaller then a pea. But the GSL is a huge area and there's just got to be some large ones laying around. Sure- some may have sunk down into the ground but I'd like to think there's some really recent falls just laying on the surface just waiting to be picked up. The question is whether you'll find them in that vast area. Garimpos idea of an ultralight is a good one.

As far as metal detecting goes- I have no idea what you would use on that type of ground. You mentioned using a large coil like the one Steve Arnold used to find the Brenhams. That's another good idea but you want to make sure you've got the right setup for your conditions. The only problem I see with that is those were mainly used for irons and pallisites. What kind of response would you get on the different types of stonies? :hmmmmmm: :twocents:

Steve

• 3 months later...

post-3983-1189819277_thumb.jpgHello BigRex, Yes I have been hunting the GSL for many years now. Here is a photo, if it comes through-never done this before-of a site I was sure had a meteorite hidden underneath. after digging down the full length of my arm I still could not feel it. I then probed down another 3 feet with a piece of conduit to see if I could "feel" anything. But no luck. The entrance hole was perfectly round (about 5" across) and seemed suspicious to me. It may have been a projectile from an airforce plane or from an artillery round. I just don't know. But talk about major excitement coming across that! Who knows what is down there but I can tell you it is deeper than 6 feet.

I know meteorites are out there, and waiting to be found.

Digrockfish

post-3983-1189820251_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

digrockfish,

I justs "re-stumbled" upon this, I missed your post. It's good to hear that looking for meteorites out in the salt flats is a reasonable idea since you're experienced at it. Sounds like you need a dozer to get out whatever is more than six feet below the surface there.

Rex