Nugget Shooter Forums

Victorious

My first Franconian Chondrite(s)! :whoopie:

post-2983-1179783618_thumb.jpg

They are not big 12g, 9g, 8g, 5g, :icon_mrgreen: ... that sun is getting hot, I went through about 2 gallons of water. I saw Paseclipse (Del) and Kiami (Stan) while out; Del had a nice chondrite, way to go man. You guys are troopers for staying out there all weekend in the heat.

Scott

Scott- Congrats on your finds. Whoever gave you those coords sure were nice to do that for you. Personally I like to blaze my own trails because it proves you have more skill. Though I do have to admit if someone gave me coords I'd follow up on them.

Wayne- Yeah the San Diego group was out there, however most of them left on saturday because it was just way to hot for them. It was strange one of the guys claimed he found a gold nugget :confused0013: I believe him because he had the "holy sh%#, I can't beleive I just found a gold nugget" look on his face and his hands were shaking a little (you know that exhilarating feeling of finding a gold nugget in the most unlikely place?). I saw the nugget myself, it probably weighed around a gram. I can't imagine the guy would plant it or something like that, out there it would be pointless.

I ended up finding a total of 54 peices, total weight was 108 grams, my largest weighed in at 70 grams. I'm just happy I finally found a decent sized one. :whoopie: I'd post pics but my camera sucks.

I have to give Stan a thumbs up for this weekend! Both of us were dragging our asses after the first day, but he really hung in there and stuck it out with me. I've got nothing but respect for a 60 year old Hawaiian man not used to the desert heat hangin in there with a desert rat half his age. I've hunted with guys way younger than him that couldn't handle heat like that and they've got nothin on him.

-Del :icon_mrgreen:

Congatulations Scott,

I'm glad to see you lost your cherry. Your perserverance created your good luck. Finding irons is nice but, I know how bad you wanted that first Chondrite too. Welcome to the club.....now that the hook is set, you'll have to get your meteorite fix on a regular basis. Oh boy! You may have thought you had "arrived" but, this is just a beginning.

Nice going, Ben

Thanks to all for the cheers!

Your right Ben, I think this is just the beginning because now I want one that can be used for a display on my mantle :hmmmmmm: . It sure does beat me up going out there though; it takes me about 4-1/2 hours to get there, then hunt all day 10 hours, then the drive home 4-1/2 hours for a total of ((19 hours)). It is all worth it when I don't get skunked on chondrites.

Del, I didn't have coords to go by. I just had my mind set on an adventurous day hiking deep North and went where my legs took me. I tried to find areas that didn't look picked over by everyone in the past. I swung back your direction to finish off my day hunting with you and Stan but you guys were gone. I found one of the chondrites near where you guys hunt - if you want the coords for the spot let me know, it looked pretty fresh.

I am just glad I can now tell the grandkids that I was one of the guys who found meteorites at Franconia - the few, the proud, oh and the addicted.

Scott

post-1528-1179800641_thumb.jpgHi you Guys - Still very excited about your finds. Sorry to hear the San Diego group found it hot in Franconia. Speaking of gold, Franconia gold is 8 miles away from dead center of the field. I always wondered why no one had found any in the area or maybe just no one shares that info. Recent trip Gold Basin, not even close to the major claims, and of course hunting meteorites, BINGO, 1.5gm nugget in my hand. First nugget I have ever found. Might just happen anywhere. We must always be prepared.

Nice batch! you found some nice bucks and some franconia's too! thats a good day for sure.

Maybe when i get back in 8 months I'll see u guys in the field.

I'm kinda excited to use the GMT now that its all fixed up and has

a new coil........

[Erik]

All,

:whoopie:

Congratulations guys, glad to see that the ole strewnfield is still producing fruit. If you think it is hot now, try hunting in July and August. Dennis and I put in many a day down there at 105+. Iced hydration packs and wet towels. We were lucky in those days not having to traverse a great distance to find anything. I think that Mike and Paul had the right idea last year, hunting at night.

Scott, I hope you find that piece for your mantle, driving 9 hours for a 10 hour hunt is rough.

Nice going Del, 54 pieces----is nice numbers and a 70 grammer is a nice specimen.

Jim

you found some nice bucks and some franconia's too!

[Erik]

Hey Erik,

I am very interested to know which of the meteorites are Buck's and which are Franconia's. I didn't realize I had two different types; now I am even more exited!!

Thanks,

Scott

Well you can't prove they are for certain either bucks or franconia's for sure without lab tests but the bucks have more flat plains and the smaller ones have a "cottage cheese look" or jagged edges. small franconias just look smooth and round with thick crust. franconias are a little more on the redish tint side where as the bucks are blueish green tinted.

some its hard to tell cause they have black desert varnish or are rusted.

Again you can't say they are really buck or franconia without lab tests.

the oval shaped one in the bottom right looks like a franconia

and the top 3 look like bucks.

I can't tell on the small ones unless it was upclose

Well you can't prove they are for certain either bucks or franconia's for sure without lab tests but the bucks have more flat plains and the smaller ones have a "cottage cheese look" or jagged edges. small franconias just look smooth and round with thick crust. franconias are a little more on the redish tint side where as the bucks are blueish green tinted.

some its hard to tell cause they have black desert varnish or are rusted.

Again you can't say they are really buck or franconia without lab tests.

the oval shaped one in the bottom right looks like a franconia

and the top 3 look like bucks.

I can't tell on the small ones unless it was upclose

Thanks Erik,

By your description alone, I would say I have three bucks and two franconias. It's pretty cool to have meteorites from two different falls. I appreciate your response.

Scott

Congratulations on the find Scott! :whoopie:

This old buzzard only found several small chrondites and a small amount of irons this last trip. Guess the desert just didn't want to give it up this trip. I went thru my water pretty quick and even Del had to make a trip to my jeep for a refill of his camelback. May try again soon but will wait for a full moon and do some night time hunting.

No postings of pics as my laptop is STILL with the Geek Squad.

Aloha for now,Stan aka Ka'imi

Congrats Guys, it looks like you had a great time as always....I will be glad to get things all in the right direction so I can get out to hunt some. I am sorry I missed this outing...hope to make others.

Nice finds guys, way to go :whoopie: :wubu: :bowdown: