Nugget Shooter Forums

How to Find a pay streak

Let me just throw this out here. I have been working a small wash on my claims that has been showing nice color with a fair amount of pickers and small nuggets. The problem is that no matter where I drywash on it I get about the same amount of gold. For the life of me I can not find an area that gives up a good amount of gold at once. I have tried the inside bends, the areas where it widens out and so on. I have not seen gold so evenly dispersed in a wash. My options seem to be to just keep drywashing taking in small amounts at a time or moving on to another wash. Any suggestions out there. thanks, Bob.

I've never drywashed,but assume your mucking off bedrock into the drywasher.Do you follow the crevices and cracks into and up the banks?Do you break open the crevices and cracks and scratch them out?Do you look for burn holes in the bedrock?...........Dave

Gold Fault,

Dave has brought up some very good points. I can only add to that how I determine the pay streak and sometimes the streak maybe evenly spread out in places. Somewhere in that wash there is a deeper groove. Here are a few ideas for you to think about.

1. If you have bedrock coming down into the wash on an inside curve, feather down that bedrock all the way to the bottom. Make about a 6 foot wide cut on the bedrock and as you go down, go in 2 foot wide increments across the 6 foot area.

2. If the wash is not to wide, cut all the way across it, all the way to bedrock.

3. When you have hit the bottom of the washes bedrock and continue to cut it in 2 foot increments. You may not see a slite change but you drywasher will. Doing it this way is a slow process because you need to pan each section 1 at a time, but you will know where the small, the chunks, and the nuggets are coming from.

Hope this helps.

O'29er

Gold Fault,

Dave has brought up some very good points. I can only add to that how I determine the pay streak and sometimes the streak maybe evenly spread out in places. Somewhere in that wash there is a deeper groove. Here are a few ideas for you to think about.

1. If you have bedrock coming down into the wash on an inside curve, feather down that bedrock all the way to the bottom. Make about a 6 foot wide cut on the bedrock and as you go down, go in 2 foot wide increments across the 6 foot area.

2. If the wash is not to wide, cut all the way across it, all the way to bedrock.

3. When you have hit the bottom of the washes bedrock and continue to cut it in 2 foot increments. You may not see a slite change but you drywasher will. Doing it this way is a slow process because you need to pan each section 1 at a time, but you will know where the small, the chunks, and the nuggets are coming from.

Hope this helps.

O'29er

Hey 29, I was wondering when you were going to respond to this inquiry. I can say this: I've watched and learned from 29 as he gradually and systematically has uncovered some of the prettiest gold I've seen in a long time from one of his claims. I might add one footnote: If false bedrock is involved, then you may want to establish how much off-level it is running. The idea here is that tectonic plate activity may have tilted the old false bedrock or may have cracked it into chunks that run tilted in different patterns. By keeping track of the tilts, this gives you some clues as to which way best to proceed. Best of luck!

I'll add that many pay streaks of old were overlooked since they concentrated on the obvious ones (inside bends, etc).

Look for the less clear ones and you may find some virgin ground. Look for places where the drainage pinches down even though it is straight. Normally the gradient will also be less as the water will "pond" up before the constriction, then have tp speed up to get through it.

• 6 years later...

I think I read somewhere to check big boulders in the middle of stream. Check the front side and the back side up close to the boulder. I believe some gold could drop out there. That's my amateur opinion... :idunno:

Excellent books on the subject by Jim Straight sold by Bill here I believe or direct from Jim?? A decent detector will show you the hotspots 1,000s a times faster than any other method. Even a bad el cheapo one as the black sands concentrations make it go bonkers and that's where ya want to check first. Buy a good quality dust mask. John