Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 10/27/2017 in all areas

  1. 37 points
    ….well, so far. So I went out the other day on a last minute hunt. During this busy time of year, it's a real relief to get out and go to my 'happy place'. I'd been looking at this 'new' area for a while now. I can actually almost see it from the other side of the 'canyon' and I finally made it over there to check it out. So glad I did. I found the large specimen within the first 10 minutes of turning the detector on. Right after I found a 'large' chunk of iron. After that, about every 30 minutes or so, I dug a piece of gold. The gully I was in, was just narrow enough to be able to detect it fully while standing in the middle. All of the pieces except for two were found in the gut, right where you'd expect to find gold. The large 'solid' nugget was found on a bench where the gully made a 90 degree turn. It was on the surface..... Obviously, I'll be going back in the near future. I'm curious to see what I left behind. Here's some pics. All of the day's finds, including trash targets, are pictured. I didn't find the coin. Hope y'all had a Merry Christmas !! Good Luck out there !! Luke
  2. 28 points
    Well, it's that time of year, again. It's starting to get nice out during the day, but I thought I would get in one more nighttime hunt. And this last night hunt treated me well. I explored a new area about a mile from where I had found gold before. The rain really has changed the roads and washes in this area. Many areas were nearly unpassable. But I managed to get there with my trusty 4x4 and went out into the night feeling a little crazy (by myself) as I am many times. And the only thing that makes that crazy feeling fade away, is when you find that first piece of gold. And then the stars align and everything seems normal, again. Friday night's total came out to 7.25 grams. Some pictures didn't come out so well. Photography just doesn't work too well at night.
  3. 26 points
    I enjoy trying to find new ground and get fairly lucky from time to time. Of course, that can mean you get a few skunks in between. Heck, sometimes more than a few. But this trip is what makes up for those times. The day started out normal enough. Way out in the desert away from the city. Away from the stress, away from the noise. Just me and my truck scrambling to get to a place I had just detected a couple weeks earlier. On a previous trip, I had found a couple dinks in this shallow wash. It was a little strange because there were no rocks thrown out of the wash or hand stacks or dry wash tailings. It just looked good to me. Basically, earlier prospectors either missed the area or it just didn’t show worth it in their gold pan. And it had already given up two small pieces of gold to me, which did not even add up to a gram. And after finding these pieces I had continued a couple hundred feet up the wash and the ground just got ugly. Me, being the expert geologist (sarcasm) I decided to jump to the next wash and search there instead of finishing the entire wash Of course nothing else was found in this second wash. But on this trip, I wanted to finish that wash. Simply because it was the right thing to do … and as my friends always say … Beep It All!! And so I did. Only 50 feet or so where I left the wash previously, I hit nugget after nugget after nugget, until I had reached a new GPZ record of 11 pcs. Even with my GM1000, my record was only 10pcs. So this turned out to be a great day. The largest piece was 5.5 grams. Most of the others pieces were over a gram but a couple were smaller. Total weight was ½ ounce. Here is the quartz stringer I believe most of the gold likely eroded from. It was in the bottom of the wash and ran right down the center. Note the red hematite along with it. And here are a couple gold pics It's still out there!
  4. 22 points
    Leverite and I got some color today near Arivaca, AZ. The one on the right was detected with my new ebay "used" Joey Coil that was pratically brand new and the GPX 5K. The others were sniffed out by the GM 1000...
  5. 21 points
    Was able to get out with Luke today and get some hunting in at one of my old spots. Boy, the rains really moved some material. After and arduous 5 mile hike in (well, it seemed like it.) Within 5 min. starting to hunt, I found the small one on the right with the 5000. Had to chase it around a little as it was tiny. About 5 min. after mine, Luke comes back to me and he had found the larger one. Its really flat. After 4 hrs of detecting and no gold, Luke found the little chunky one next to the flat one on the hillside. Great weather out today and gold was found. Nice thing about this wash is I park on the side of a paved road and walk in. Easy peasy! Tom H.
  6. 19 points
    Heres the photo . Well done dude !!
  7. 19 points
    Got out today with Chris (bsumbdy). Most of the day was partly cloudy, and gave us a little break from hot weather. Chris, gave me a pointy finger today, while he hiked over the hill to hunt. We both left today with some gold. Chris got 6.4 grams, I got 5.8 grams. Also came across two young desert tortoises today. Dave
  8. 19 points
    Here are 15 nuggets that I snagged from a club claim last week. This is a great time of the year in the high desert of SoCal.
  9. 18 points
    I made it out to the desert for a hunt before the rain fell and managed a 1.5 gram nugget, lots of lead too. My battery didn’t last very long either, gave it a half hr charge on the car charger and was good for a while longer. I will need to make something up to drain it down and cycle it a few times to see if it comes back to a full day of hunting.
  10. 17 points
    I was out the other day and after 4 hours of hunting I ran acrossed this when I moved some dirt. I moved four inches off the top and got a very faint signal. After 18 inches of digging I got this. Found with a GPX 5000 with 16 inch nuggetfinder advantage.
  11. 16 points
    I mentioned finding gold in the meteor forum so here it is. My brother and I hiked into an area that both of us had marked on our GPS. We covered lots of ground and I gave up on the area and was heading to the truck. I met up with my brother and he showed me a small nugget he had found. I guess the brought my motivation back up and I detected every little gully on the way out. My first nugget was the big one and the rest were within 100 feet. This was an excellent day in the hills and might have even have two more meteorites for the collection. I said might because I still have my doubts. AJ
  12. 16 points
    Guys I know I have been vacant for a while. After engaging in the topic with many of y’all about a rock I found that seemed to turn to a fruitless debate of witty fun. This outcome pushed me to try to produce proof. After Posting terminated I contacted Alan Rubin and he agreed to except a sample to visually inspect, then if satisfactory observations were made he would thin section and microprobe this material to analyze the composition. Well my friends it turns out that IT’S A METEORITE!!!! Not only was it a meteorite but I continued to hunt vigorously for more fragment with much success!!! Originally I didn’t note the location of the original fragment because I was hiking with the wife and kid and just picked the fragment up and threw it in my wife’s backpack where it sat in the corner of my living room for a couple of weeks till I examined!! So I hit the dusty trail and locked on to the first fragment a tiny 5~ gram fragment !!! So I knew I had found the honey pot so I returned on multiple trips producing more and larger fragments none exceeding the original 1113 gram fragment till one day I was out there with my metal detector digging deeper larger 3-4-500~ gram fragments !!! Literally on my knees metal detector in my left hand pic axe in the right excavation those larger fragments I look over to the left and I see a large stone, so large I dismissed it at first site because I thought ehhh it’s just a brown rusty rock but my detector on the left still fired up still digging targets in the right I took a swing over it with the detector and it lit up like a darn Christmas tree over this mass !!!!!! This mass turned out to be a huge meteorite , the main mass at a whopping 24.4lbs!!!!!!!! I kept Alan Rubin in the loop the entire time and he agreed to classifying my meteorite!!! It’s been a wild ride and believe me all up and downs along the way but 2 days ago my meteorite and meteorite name were finally accepted, approved and published into the Metbul database. It is the second meteorite classified and the largest meteorite classified in Massachusetts at a over 31lbs currently!!! I want to introduce to you all Barnstable Meteorite!!! H4 S1 W5 !!! Alan Rubin and another scientist did such a wonder and amazing petrography write up I’m speechless and honored!!! So with out further adu here are few originals from my original post to you guys and the updates as well!!! You guys saw it first here. I love this forum and I plan on being active again but I’ve just been super busy in life plus new meteorite!!!!https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?sea=Barnstable&sfor=names&ants=&nwas=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=50&map=ge&browse=&country=All&srt=name&categ=All&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&strewn=&snew=0&pnt=Normal table&code=68720 BTW I’m Space Matter, I’m on Facebook, I’m a member of the International Meteorite Collectors Association #7312. I will be in AZ for the gem and mineral show from the Feb 6th-10th If anyone wants to say hi!!
  13. 16 points
    Well it was another spectacular outing! LOTS of great food, nice days for detecting, cloudy and clear days. Gold was found I personally found some every day. Met new people and had fun catching up with old friends. There was more gold found but I was not able to get pics of everyones. Special thanks to Bill for putting these on and Kevin and another guy for dishing out the meat so everyone got plenty of the awesome brisket and pork. Thanks to Minelab Debbie for coming out and addressing the coil issue and doing a demo with the Equnox. I saw some cool wildlife and a spike or two point buck. Enjoy! Tom H.
  14. 15 points
    Got out while it was cool cloudy Tuesday and Wednesday.... They were biting..... Chunky 3 with SDC AND 3 smaller ones same spot missed by SDC and nabbed with Gold Monster
  15. 15 points
    Got back in one piece from a great camp out up around LSD. Perfect detecting weather! Saw some cool things.....Wire/wood ladder for a mineshaft, doubledecker cacti, old handstack, 90+ miles of dirt road! Dad and James scored a couple of dinksters, I got skunked. Found some cool things though, 45 cal. and a 10 guage shotgun shell base in some tribs that I need to go back to. Got some more trash from them so they have not been hit Hard to find washes like that in the LSD area. Found a seed pod that had to make a bird out of Great food and friends. Had a blast. Tom H.
  16. 15 points
    I found 3 nuggets today! My first time finding more than one!😊
  17. 15 points
    Sunday , I snuck out, and climbed around the hills looking for hillside patches. With all the damp ground, it is a great opportunity to get the most out of a coil. Scored this nice half grammer with the o`l SD2200V2
  18. 14 points
    I know I totally stole the word "dink/dinkster" from @adam and @boulder dash. It is the perfect adjective to describe the nuggets Ive found though. So here is the pic of the dinkster I found today with Leverite.
  19. 14 points
    Won't fit in a bottle. not all that pretty. Crush it and you have nothing. Guess it just can just sit in safety deposit? I thought it was just another hot rock until it sung back at me.
  20. 14 points
    Its Gold !! Took the Gold Bug II out today , to a favorite little junk filled wash that just keeps on giving 1.4 Grams of these pretty little isometric beauties ...
  21. 13 points
    Puttered around in a small wash today I have been driving by for years, shallow bedrock and fairly mild soil. Got hot pretty fast so only hunted a little stretch of it and got these two rough little nuggets. Lot of critters out and about in the desert today and also found a massive bee hive....
  22. 12 points
    I've had the time to make a couple of Rye Patch trips. I did some swinging and some exploring. All of these nuggets came from near the burn barrel so no one got it all! These are from my last trip. This was the total of two trips. Just shy of 1/4 oz.
  23. 12 points
    Been shopping Craigslist/offer up and Facebook Market place for the last two months for a quad to use for exploring and detecting. Had a guy sell one out from under me when I was going to take a look at it. I was bumming a bit, but looked at Craigslist again and a guy just posted a 2011 Yamaha Grizzly with only 186 miles on it. I got it for 4800$. Heck, its barely broke in and all the other people wanted 45-6000 for quads a lot older and more miles. On the way home I decided to take the surface streets as I knew the tires on the trailer were pretty old....yah, guess what...BLOW OUT! Right in front of Discount tire!!!! Pulled in and they actually had 78x13 tires. The good Lord works in strange and mysterious ways. Had to do a lot of work to the trailer. The newer quads are 2 inches too wide to fit. Made some ramps and it all works great. Thanks to Chris Cartwright for steering me towards the grizzly.
  24. 12 points
    Today's Lesion Boys and Girls is "" DIY Hobanero TEAR GAS"" Someone gave me a double hand full of Lovely Orange Hobanero Peppers. Knowing they would not Last forever I came up with the Wiley E. Coyote (SUPER GENIUS) Idea to dry them out in the Microwave. Placing them in the Microwave I set the timer for TWO minutes and hit Start. At the End of the TWO minutes things were looking promising. Yep, Another TWO Minutes. Things progressing to perfection. Almost Crunchy. Yet another TWO minutes should do it. Again I push start. Turn my back to wash my hands. Wicked Wanda the Wonder Wife yells ""FIRE in the Micro Wave" !!! I turn to see the flames . OHHH CHIT! I pop the door open to extract the now Blackened Crispy Hobanero's dancing in flames. A Billow of White Smoke came rolling out of the Micro Wave. This CHIT was every bit as bad as any CS or Tear Gas I ever experienced in the Military. Eyes Blinded with Tears, Drooling like a Rabid Dog, Coughing having issues taking in breaths. RUN AWAY ! RUN AWAY!!!!!!!! Everyone vacates the house including the two dogs. Well there you have it Boys and Girls . DIY HOBANERO Tear Gas.
  25. 11 points
    Hey guys, I thought these would be worth sharing. I while back I had a lady email me saying that she had boxes and boxes of mining pictures on 35mm slides, several hundred pics in total. She was going to throw them away because she didn't know what to do with them. Luckily she contacted me and asked if I wanted them. Heck yes I do! The pics were taken by her late father, Charles Romanowitz who he worked for the Yuba Dredge Company from 1941 through the mid 1960s. He traveled around to various goldfield around the world. I've got to sort through them and transfer them to digital. There are hundred of pictures, as far as I know they haven't been seen by anyone for decades. Most of the pics from California and Alaska, but also some from Korea, Russia, Indonesia, and the Panama Canal. For a mining nerd like me these are pure gold. Lots of the pics show the internal workings of the dredges, stuff that you don't see very often. I'll share a few here as if people are interested...
  26. 11 points
    Wow...a friend sent me the pic that he found of me using my rocker box some where on Big Bug in 1982. What the heck happened! I was that young???? Tom H.
  27. 11 points
    Last Sunday , I decided to visit this gully after seeing the equipment left behind. I also wanted to do some detecting! You see, Boulderdash and I have both worked the heck out of this ravine in the past, and still continue to do so from time to time, though 90% of the 1000 foot ravine has been drywashed. Rod is also well aware that we had worked it. That equipment is not ours and the responsible party still is around but did not have a way to access the stuff.. It also used to be covered with a tarp, which is long since decomposed with some remnants. Anyway, I took the initiative to clean it up even though it is not mine. After several trips, and a few trash bags I managed to get the pile of items loaded up and hauled out of there. A few deteriorated buckets remain, and I will get them next time I go detecting over there. There is a neatly stacked group of buckets there that do belong to me which are still in good shape, and I will be using them soon. Problem solved, and the rest of the gold I got is in the "look what I found" thread Before.... After...
  28. 10 points
    Well done fellers ....!! Theres a season?? You mean I didnt have to detect this summer ?!
  29. 10 points
    I want to thank each and every one of you guys for you prayers and good vibes. They were indeed felt at the time of need. This was a rough one for me as I had no inclination just what was going on. I put it off too long trying to get the family Easter Celebration going. Finally called in the paramedics in and they got me to the hospital. Extreme pain and couldn't breathe. Lungs full of blood clots and wouldn't let oxygenated blood flow through lungs. Clots came from an operation that I had two weeks prior. Had me on a heparin drip for three days and that took most of the pain away and now I have to be on Eliquis the rest of the way, no more blood thinners or aspirin. Life feels good again and I thank God for my 'Return to Life'. Old Guys, Don't try to go too far after feeling something go awry. Get it checked on most times Medicare will take care of it. That's what you worked an paid for your whole life. A very grateful 'OLD TOM'
  30. 10 points
    Found this a few years back nuggethunting...had a nice deep target...after digging down two and half feet I though I may have struck the Big One !!. Than this little beauty came out of the hole, an 1840's- 1850's Naval officers belt buckle. Its one part of a two piece. This is as good as gold as far as I am concerned...the history behind it must be amazing. Imagine a naval officer going awol and leaves San Francisco for the Sierras to mine gold. California just joined the Union, and Mexico lost most of its Northern territories.
  31. 10 points
  32. 9 points
    I think this user should be kicked off the forum Nice color Chris !
  33. 9 points
    Was able to get out on Fri. with Dave and Jen to do some exploring and detecting up in the San Domingo area. 5 Min. into the hunt I found a little guy. After that LOTS of trash But that is a good thing! Place has not been hit. Which seems unbelievable considering how easy it is to get to and the area around it I know has been hit. It was only down a couple of inches and the 9x14 got it. Saw some old mines, the palo verde trees are starting to bloom. Should look nice in a week or so. Took a pic of a tarantula hawk wasp. Nasty little creature if you read up on it. Found an intact box mold bottle! And.....broke another Idler arm on the YOTO. Did find out guys are making a brace to stop this from happening. I will be making one also as this is the 3rd one ive snapped. Getting kind of old. I had a spare in the YOTO so we swapped it out. Great day out and the weather was decent. Got blessed with a little yellow! Been a while. Tom H.
  34. 9 points
    Just an FYI, over the past year or two I have sorta turned a blind eye to those of you who insist on posting political topics and posts even though most everyone knows it's against forum rules. This is a new year and from here on out the forum rule of no political topics and or posts will be enforced, all future such topics or posts will either removed or edited at the staff's discretion, any topics from the past that are in the least bit politcal will be locked. If you feel the need to voice your political opinions or views then you need to seek out a political forum or Facebook, etc.
  35. 9 points
    Hey Martin ... Had that happen a long time ago hunting in North Western Maine ... The North Maine Woods ... Spent the night as you did but in the morning a logger happened by on his way to the choppin he was working. Nice guy ... not only did he jump my truck but shared his thermos of STRONG hot coffee! Those French Canadiens sure know how to make good coffee. So we had some laughs during coffee 'break' and then went our separate ways. Two or three years later I ran across him again and asked if he remembered me ... ay-epp! he says! We talked for a few minutes and then I went to the back of my truck and pulled out a new bottle of Jim Beam and gave it to him! He was thrilled! I told him he couldn't open it until the work day was done. He agreed! Never ran into him again but sure was grateful for that first encounter.
  36. 9 points
    Had to go to Bullhead City to get gas this morning so I took my Equinox 800 with me, got the new 15" coil on it . When I got to the beach on the Colorado River there was 6 other folks walking with detectors. As I got mine out I was told they had covered that area already and I asking if they minded if I just followed along . Was told to go ahead but they had covered it good. I was trying out my new 15" coil on my Equinox , set it on Park 1, every thing stock setting. Off I go. Got a hit..bottle cap , cleared it out swept over same place, nother hit...Penny @ 2 inches. all in all I got 4 pennies and 2 dimes...won't count the bottle caps or pull tabs...not bad for a beach that had been worked over...…
  37. 9 points
    Out of here shortly to hang out at La Paz for a couple days. House sitter for the dogs and chickens and 4 rat dogs with us lol. Hope you all have a great weekend!
  38. 9 points
    Copped socket arrowhead made during the copper culture era age 3000 to 5000 years BP.
  39. 9 points
    I was sick .... Your nuggets were safe for now!
  40. 9 points
    I wasn't going to post these because most of them are so small, ...But, I managed to pull this bigger one out today (2.56 Grams)(along with three smaller ones) SOOOOOOOOO. I got these out of 4 different locations over a three day period (6.68 Grams Total). The big one that I got today was hidden down fairly deep under about a 10" round granite boulder (rock) and was stuffed (wedged) along a sheer cutoff bank about 5" deeper within a small narrow crack. The initial signal was but a whisper of a signal, and I almost mistook it for the sound that mineralized ground gives off. But "curiosity killed the cat" , so I just had to dig down to find out if it was a valid signal or not. Sorry, No photo's today....I forgot my camera. "YAHOOO"....Gary
  41. 9 points
    So Courtney my wife and Hank the dog headed out to Unionville for a night at the old pioneer garden bed and breakfast. Unionville is in Pershing county and is a living ghost town with pop. about 20. The town had up to 3000 people working the mines at it's peak. Tons of history there, Mark Twain lived there for a bit and the folks running the bed and breakfast are something special. The family has operated 5 or 6 houses for the past 30 years. I was able to swing the GM 1000 around a little, but not enough time this trip was about fossils. We ended up doing pretty good considering we only hunted for half a day. My wife had the find of the day by far. She pulled on a chunk of limestone and half popped up with the imprint, then she really got excited when she saw the fossil ammonite on the ground. Good times in the Nevada outback.
  42. 9 points
    She's still learnin'.... I wait until my wife has already left for work, then I load the truck.
  43. 9 points
    Well the boys and i went out for a quick hunt on the 4th since i was off. I chased the gold for a bit and then we decided to go hit a relic spot on our friends property. Has a cool placer area and a big area for relics. No nuggets this trip but Cameron found some cool stuff. But the pin he found tops pretty much the last couple trips weve taken. I cant find a makers mark or any other identifying marks. Under the lighted loop and regular loop it sure looks like gold. What do you guys think? Ill post the rest of his finds after we get them cleaned up. Take care everyone.
  44. 9 points
    Early this spring I decided to sell a few unused toys. I had collected a bunch of very cool stuff over the years and much of it was sitting unused on shelves. I had two small buildings filled with good stuff that needed a home... A truckload of scuba gear, a half acre of mid 70’s Toyota Landcruisers, and a closet with metal detectors stacked like cordwood. Spearguns, deep sea fishing gear, a couple of aluminum boats and a host of other sweet equipment. I set out on Craigslist and the local ad papers to unload these items. I dealt hard and dodged the scammers. I was doing well and having fun but it was an emotional undertaking. Many of the items had a long history. All had a story. A lot of it was good stuff that I HATED to part with but simply had no good reason to continue storing it. On the auction block were several metal detectors. One was a Whites GMT that I had bought from Frank C. several years back. I had used it to find a few Glorieta irons and some metal arrowheads. It was a backup machine for me but Frank had used this detector for many years. This was his baby. He had a real history with this machine that included lots of meteorites and more nuggets than most guys will find in a lifetime. When Frank sent this machine to me it came in the original box and had a test meteorite and a test nugget with it. There was also an autographed copy of Jim McCullough’s book. I had kept this stuff all these years and packed it up for sale just like it was when I bought it. One evening I got a call from a woman who wanted to know about the detector. She said she was translating for her brother-in-law. His son was in Mexico and was interested in buying the detector. We discussed details but it was unclear if there was much communication going on. A few days went by and the woman called again. She wanted to bring her brother-in-law by to look at the detector. We were able to communicate much better in person. They indicated that they were interested and his son would contact me soon. A few of days later I got a call. My Spanish is very poor and this fellow was speaking some sort of Indio dialect that I could not decipher. He asked that I come to Juarez to make the sale and I declined. I agreed to meet him in El Paso and he said he could do that. We then proceeded to try and agree on a meeting spot… He did not know El Paso and I could not communicate well in Spanish, but I was sure we knew where we were meeting when we hung up the phone. At 9:00 the next morning I was in El Paso at a sweet little taco joint waiting for him to arrive. They were just opening up and had the tacos al pastor sizzling. The phone rang. It seems this guy was in Sunland Park, New Mexico. I told him to stay put and I would come to him. 30 minutes later I called him again from Sunland Park. He had found a translator and the guy told me they were at a bar in Canutillo, Texas. I was a bit peeved. I told him that I would wait for another 30 minutes in Sunland Park and if he did not show up I was on my way back to Las Cruces. I hung up the phone. I figured they were drinking. About ten minutes later I get a call. This fellow is frantic. He has no idea where he is but he wants me to wait. It is not clear to me that he even understands where I am at. I told him to stay put and get someone that speaks English to talk to me. There is confusion for a moment and then I hear a “Hello!” on the other end. In a sweet voice a young lady explains to me that they are on a bus. For the fist time I realized that this fellow did not drive across the border. He was trying to locate me using public transportation. I arranged to meet him at the next bus stop. They were a few miles away on Mesa St. in El Paso. When I pulled into the lot I see this skinny Indian kid in a puffy down jacket obviously from way backwoods Mexico. He was about 19-20 years old, tiny teeth, big smile and a thousand miles in his eyes. He looked up at me and he instantly knew I was who he was looking for. Before the truck was stopped he was already walking my way on shoes worn as smooth as your fanny. He approached me and with his eyes lowered he apologized for missing our meeting place. He wanted me to know he was not from Juarez, but from Durango. A medical student enrolled in the University at Lerdo. As I digested what he was saying I realized that this young man had walked almost a thousand miles from the most remote mountains in Mexico to buy this detector. He waited for a visa, crossed the border, got on the bus and was doing his level best to make it happen. I asked him to come with me to a better place to make our deal. While we drove back to the taco shack way out in west El Paso he told me his story. He had found gold on a hillside deep in the Sierra Madre and had recovered a pocket full of nuggets by eye. He did not want to do too much digging for fear of someone discovering his spot. He figured he could hit the big ones with a detector and do quite well without anyone noticing. As we were pulling into the taqueria he was telling me about his journey from his mountain homeland and the three days he waited in Juarez for a visa to come across to buy the detector. I pulled the box with the detector in it from behind the seat of the truck and handed it to him. I convinced him to come inside and have some tacos with me. When we got inside he opened the box and checked out the detector. As they shaved the BBQ pork and pineapple off that big spit for our tacos he put the detector together. I went out to the truck and got some batteries I had in the console. When I came back in he had his money in a neat stack on the table and the tacos had been served. I noticed they had a nice fried jalapeno and pickled radish garnish. He loaded the batteries into the machine and flipped it on. It squealed loudly and he grinned. I took his money and I must admit I felt a bit guilty. But those tacos looked good and we need to get business out of the way. As we ate tacos I explained the best I could about the book from Jim McC. There was no way that I could begin to explain the machine to him in my slang Spanglish. He had lots of resources at the University though and assured me that he could get the book translated. Also, there were gringo prospectors in Durango that were fluent and could help him. Some even used a GMT. After the tacos I offered him a ride to the bridge. I wished him luck and apologized to him for being such an arrogant bastard when he was trying to find me. I am not sure he understood every word but I know he understood what I was trying to say. He stepped out of the truck and smiled, uttered a blessing and headed over the Alameda Street bridge with the detector under his arm. There is no doubt in my mind that this young man is going to find huge gold with that machine. Great big Mexican nuggets from the most remote mountains in Mexico. He walked over a thousand miles and crossed into a foreign country to chase down a gringo with a detector for sale. Paid for it with U.S. dollars earned by finding nuggets by eye. Then he headed home with his prize under his arm. That was a lot more difficult task than finding gold with a GMT on rich ground in Mexico. He should have zero problems. On my way home I thought about Frank and all the hours he must have spent with that rig. I figured that if I ever got the chance to tell this story I would take it. For many guys just meeting a fellow like this is as close to real adventure as they will ever get. Passing a detector on to a fellow like this is a neat bonus. Like a nugget with sweet character or a little olivine in the iron.
  45. 9 points
    Yes, our little water hole just outside my office window regularly brings in dozens of quail, coyotes, bobcats, deer, dove, a huge red racer snake, hawks, many different smaller birds, cottontails, jackrabbits, 3 different roadrunners and now the javalina...The show goes on all day long, every day....Fun! Cheers, Unc
  46. 9 points
    This is an article I wrote many many years ago that I could not find, but just ran across it. I trust it will be helpful to the newbies and may give you old sods a moment to reconsider what you are doing, or not doing. Before you dismiss the information in this post, I challenge you to take a large coin, perhaps an American Silver Dollar and tape it to the top of your metal detecting coil. You may be surprised that your detector will act perfectly normal, you can swing it, and hunt with it, you will have a threshold and not a single clue that there is a large chunk of metal attached to the top of your coil. Remember, any metal your detector sees constantly, it will generally regard as mineralization. It will balance it out, however, you lose an enormous amount of sensitivity to small items like little nuggets. Here's the article: Some nugget hunting lessons are learned the hard way! © G.M. "DOC" Lousignont, Ph.D. Friday morning I arose at 5:30 am, showered, grabbed my gear and packed Arizona from Las Vegas for a little gold hunting. White Hills is a 1 hour drive from Las Vegas, it's 50 miles. Then the next 25 miles is cross country into the desert, (4 wheel only and heavy ply tires), and takes another hour. I arrived at my destination at 8:00 am and I was swinging that SD2200d by 8:10 using a 11 inch monoloop coil. Now I have to tell you that I have been a bit disgruntled for about 2 months because I have hit a dry spell. Actually the problem was that I had gotten spoiled when I first started hunting nuggets. I had bought a Minelab XT18000,and the first 4 times out found three nuggets, the second being a 6.1 gram beauty. So I was lulled into believing that this nugget hunting thing is a snap. By the way, for those of you that can't afford the pricey SD2200d, the XT18000 is a fabulous machine. But after finding 3 pieces of gold I had the fever and so I bought a SD2200d, because I thought I was HOT FECES! So for 2 months I've been hunting with the 2200d and haven't found anything that resembles gold. Oh I've dug every shallow stinkin' piece of wire, 22 shell casings, slugs, boot tacks - BB's -- if it's C R A P, and shallow, I've dug it! But no gold. I kept trying to tell myself that it couldn't be me, it must be this darn detector, maybe it wasn't working right. But if it wasn't working right how could I find a little boot tack, or a BB? Well they were only surface targets after all, only 1 to2 inches down. But that was then and this was last Friday and between those times I had sat down and had a long talk with myself. I tried to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong, or what was different since I had got the SD2200d. Well the only thing that was different was that I was now using a more powerful detector that went deeper. Oh yeah, real deep! Two inches!! WOW! I started to think about that, and the fact that this detector is so powerful that if I happen to get my head over the coil it will hit on my gold wire rimmed eyeglasses. Now this means it's air testing my glasses at 5ft 7 inches. Yeah I know, I'd never make it in the NBA, but that's besides the point, and what does basketball have to do with metal detecting and how dare you even bring the subject of my height into this discussion; you inconsiderate pig! So I’m vertically challenged! It goes well with my bald head and age spots; I’m a friggin’ mess. My eight year old daughter calls me a sad little man. Anyway, I started to do a mental inventory of my hunting persona. Looking at me from the front, head to toe, the METAL inventory is the following: I have on eyeglasses with gold metal frames. I have a heavy gold necklace with a Spanish silver coin framed in gold. I wear a safari vest with a GPS in one pocket, a couple of power bars in another pocket wrapped in foil, a camera in another, a pocket watch, and old transmission from a 57 Chevy in another pocket, and god knows what else. I mean it has 17 pockets after all, I have to fill them up with some type of garbage. The vest alone probably weighs 300lbs. Then I wear a webbed belt, with, of course, a big metal buckle. On that belt I have a tool bag that has two metal hooks for carrying a hammer, or other tools, of course I carry a rock pick in case a piece of quartz tries to attack me, and a K-bar military knife. On my regular belt, the one that tries to hold my pants up, I have a beeper, and my gold Licensed Private Investigators badge. On my side I'm carrying a Sig 9mm weapon. In my pockets I have about three dollars in change, a gold money clip, my car keys, a folding pocket knife, and anything else I can think of that is made of metal. Under my pants I am wearing underwear made of sheet metal with copper rivets, adorned with .38 cal slugs welded into the shape of little hearts. I mean the point of this is, I had on so much metal that by the time this powerful detector saw all of this metal stuff, and with it's automated ground balancing, it compensated for what it thought was ground mineralization, it probably couldn’t have detected a 747 buried at three inches. You know I read and read about this stuff and still it doesn't sink in - what was I thinking? In my business I consult with a lot of companies and professional folks who once were successful and now find themselves in a slump. Do you want to know the one thing they all have in common? They forgot the basics of what it was that they did that made them successful in the first place! They started cutting corners. And because "the basics" of anything are usually pretty fundamental, once they are mastered they get boring. So people start improvising and getting away from the basics to liven things up a little, to do things different, and the next thing you know, they’re in a slump. Always remember, experimentation is an expensive proposition. If you want to be successful do what has worked before. Once you have so much money you don’t know what to do with it all then you can spend some bucks on research and development and experimentation. After having this long talk with myself I went back out to the gold fields last Friday and like I said, by 8:10 am I was swinging my detector in the Arizona desert. However, keeping in mind the possible problem I was causing wearing so much metal I decided to make one small change. I decided to metal detect naked. That’s right I was stark naked at 8:10 am in the Arizona desert metal detecting, ouch! Darn watch those cactus! OK - I’m kidding I wasn’t really naked, but I did leave all that metal in the car. Guess what, I started getting targets. By around 12:10 pm I had dug about five.22 slugs, or pieces of slugs, two small pieces of wire, one at 12 inches, and an expended shotgun shell. BUT STILL NO GOLD! Well I thought it was about time for a break so I headed back to the car for a sandwich and a soda. I swung my detector as I walked, not really being very careful about overlapping. I was within sight of my car when I got another signal. Another .22 no doubt. I dug about six inches into very soft soil until the target was in the pile of dirt and not in the hole. I split the pile of dirt a couple of times to isolate the target into a smaller workable pile. Down on one knee, first scoop of dirt across top of coil, nothing, second scoop, and I had the target in the scoop. I started splitting dirt into my hand and the plastic scoop until I had got down to a few grains of dirt, a couple of pinhead size rocks, and a darn .22 caliber fragment a little bigger than a kitchen match head. I grabbed the fragment and waved it over the coil to confirm that was the target. I fumbled to reach for my detector while I moved to deposit the bullet fragment in my trash pouch. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a glint from the sun come off the slug fragment. I held the slug in my hand and stood up and waved the coil over the hole and the dirt one more time. Then I directed my attention back to the small fragment. I held the slug in my hand and waved the coil over the piece of lead. I rubbed it between my fingers and it started to show some shiny spots. I thought to myself, "it must have been a copper jacketed .22." Then I started talking to myself out loud. "Wait, this isn’t the color of copper, the shiny spots look like the color of gold. THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE! It couldn’t be gold, I haven’t found any gold with this 2200d because I wear too much metal! But you took the metal off stupid! Yeah sure, but all there is around here is .22caliber slugs, you’ve been digging them all morning. So get out your drinking water." Suddenly I realized that I was standing naked in the desert talking to myself -OK, I wasn’t really naked! I told you I was kidding about that part, why won’t you believe me? I dropped the suspicious item into my plastic scoop and poured a little water in on the questionable metallic object. Sticking my index finger in the water on top of the item I gave it a vigorous rub. When I removed my finger, there, to my amazement, was not a lead bullet fragment, but a gold nugget that later weighed out to be .7 gram. That little nugget was so dirty, and my mind was so cluttered with negative thinking that I almost threw it in my trash pouch; the trash pouch that would have been summarily dumped into a trash can upon reaching home. So my dear friends the moral of this true story is, 1. Never give up 2. When things don’t seem to be working, review the basics and then get back to practicing them. 3. Stay positive 4. Don’t dig a target with a pre-conceived notion 5. Examine every find carefully before discarding it. More than enough said. Let’s be careful out there and find lot’s of that yellow stuff! Doc
  47. 9 points
    I had a great time at the OUTIING , the training was awesome, I learned a lot. even learned wheat I was doing wrong with my Monster. The food was plenty and GREAT . My hat of off to those who cooked the meat and the other many dishes..... My CONGRATS to all who found gold, I did not find any , but I think I have a better chance with the new Knowledge. Met lot of folks, can't remember most of the names....But I did learn the dogs names . . To Those that missed this outing , YOU MISSED A GREAT ONE. BIG THANKS to Bill , Debbie, Kevin , Doc and Mike for all the instructions and advice. Again WOW , what a great time. Made it home all safe and sound....now to rest . .
  48. 8 points
    On Sunday evening my son and a big group were enjoying a paddle down Clear Creek Canyon near Winslow. There were about ten kayaks in a group headed back from a five mile trip upstream. They were a couple miles from the trucks floating along in a big group. The weekend was nearing an end and no one was in a big hurry for the day to come to an end. At one point someone said." Where is David?" His kayak was floating upside down. No sign of him at all. Everyone looked at each other for a few seconds in confusion. My son and another fellow dove down into the water and started swimming around. The water was only about 12-15 feet deep and they went down and came up a couple times. After a few dives my son's friend came up and hollered, "HE'S DOWN THERE!" They dove down and found him there laying on the bottom as still as stone. They grabbed him by the arms and drug him to (the very scarce) shoreline and performed CPR. He immediately exhaled a lung full of water and began to breathe around a lot of fluid. To make a long story short a motorboat came by and took him back to the launch. He was flown to a hospital and then flown to Albuquerque. He seems fine. He was under water a couple minutes AT LEAST. They are watching him for a few days just to make sure all is well. No indication of what went wrong. He says one minute he was paddling along and the next he was on the beach coughing up water. He just lost consciousness for some reason. It was hot and that is the first best guess is that he had a mild heat stroke. They had all had a few beers so that may have played into it although he was not intoxicated at all. He has no history of seizures or fainting but that is always a chance. It is a real mystery as to why he suddenly lost consciousness. He just did. No one was wearing a life vest. It was hot and they were all swimming around a lot. The canyon is super narrow. But as I pointed out afterward there is no beach in most places to swim to shore. A rescue in in most spots would have meant doing it in the water in a sheer sided canyon. Without flotation that would be dicey. If the same thing would have happened in cloudy, deep or moving water he would have never been found. Even if he was not wearing his life vest and just had it clipped to him on a lanyard it would have insured his recovery. Without it he just quietly slumped into the river and went straight to the bottom. I hear he is doing fine today. Thank God. It was as close as a person could get to checking out. Only one little thing went wrong to put him on the bottom of that creek. A whole lot of things had to go just right to bring him back up alive. Everyone involved was trained to do a rescue and knew just what to do. They are all young adventurers and outdoor guides. The people in that group had years of experience handing themselves in every natural setting imaginable. They were all in excellent shape and had prepared themselves mentally for this scenario. They reacted instinctively and ran the plan without saying a word. Within seconds of them figuring out there was a problem the guy was sputtering again. These guys are heroes. And not accidental heroes either. They put in their hours and trained and practiced to be heroes. When the time came they got it done. I think that is mighty awesome. I bet David does too.
  49. 8 points
    I remember rocking you in a box when you were much younger……. Old Tom
  50. 8 points
  • Create New...