Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Into to the hobby young!!!

My sons 4 now and at this point he has more exposure to meteorites than most children. This is him and I with our slices of Brahin pallasites. The reason I got the two is because my sons heritage and lineage is directly from Belarus. I knew it was a important meteorite to acquire sooner than later for that reason and also the location of the fall is located in a area heavily and directly contaminated by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster locally 80% of the fallout is said to have fallen in the Gomel vicinity making it a dangerous task excavating the stones beneath the contaminated soils. I'm sure people still do it but I'm sure it is strongly advised against. Anyways my words of encouragement for the day, start them while there young maybe they will have a career mining asteroids someday!!

IMAG3006.jpg

• Like 8
  • well done 2

I think it's fantastic that you're spending time with your son, giving him an early start on a science education.  He might even surprise you someday and name an asteroid after his old man.

• Like 3

My boys are my best friends. They will go detecting with me any time, day or night, rain or shine. Its a great family hobby. Good job getting him interested. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Saul R W said:

I think it's fantastic that you're spending time with your son, giving him an early start on a science education.  He might even surprise you someday and name an asteroid after his old man.

I love nothing more than spending time with him, I want to encourage him to become a engineer and start a business in the space aeronautical industry while we are at this precarious forefront!!!

1 hour ago, nugget108 said:

My boys are my best friends. They will go detecting with me any time, day or night, rain or shine. Its a great family hobby. Good job getting him interested. 

Right!!! I can wait till he can come out detecting with me, I never take him with me at the moment because I don't want to have headphones on in the wilderness with him for safety purposes but we do visual hunts together often!! I love visual hunts the most but when I get deep in it I have the detector out.

• Like 1

Thats when i switched to an external speaker. I could still hunt with my little guy there.

• Like 1

very nice! maybe you should run a Geiger counter by those pieces....unless they are from before the accident...

Ear buds work well for detecting and hearing outside noise- I like the Sony mdr-j10

fred

Super cool Rocky! He looks like a great guy. They grow up fast brother!

I raised my son as a single parent. He rode on my shoulders while I hunted big game until he could walk. Then we hunted real slow until he could walk at my pace. Then we swam. Then snorkeled. By the time he was 11 he had tagged his first fair chase desert mule deer and was scuba diving. By 18 he had survived the tsunami in Thailand and was navigating wilderness with no guide. By 25 he was bouldering, had a half dozen countries under his belt and a college degree.

I struggle to keep up with him now. Time passes really quickly no matter how much you stuff into life. I guess what I am saying is stuff as much into his life as you can and teach him to keep stuffing! By the time he is your age he will have so many experiences to draw from his life will increase exponentially! By the time you are my age you will have nothing to worry about except bragging too much about him!

You know Rocky I don't use headphones when hunting meteorites. Only nuggets. I have a PI that I use often but I hang the headphones around my neck and just run them up loud. IMHO if you are digging whispers you are not going to cover enough ground to find many mets. Even in a dense strewn field area it is best to move along and dig the bingos.

Just more of my unsolicited fatherly advice. Hope you don't mind.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Super cool Rocky! He looks like a great guy. They grow up fast brother!

I raised my son as a single parent. He rode on my shoulders while I hunted big game until he could walk. Then we hunted real slow until he could walk at my pace. Then we swam. Then snorkeled. By the time he was 11 he had tagged his first fair chase desert mule deer and was scuba diving. By 18 he had survived the tsunami in Thailand and was navigating wilderness with no guide. By 25 he was bouldering, had a half dozen countries under his belt and a college degree.

I struggle to keep up with him now. Time passes really quickly no matter how much you stuff into life. I guess what I am saying is stuff as much into his life as you can and teach him to keep stuffing! By the time he is your age he will have so many experiences to draw from his life will increase exponentially! By the time you are my age you will have nothing to worry about except bragging too much about him!

You know Rocky I don't use headphones when hunting meteorites. Only nuggets. I have a PI that I use often but I hang the headphones around my neck and just run them up loud. IMHO if you are digging whispers you are not going to cover enough ground to find many mets. Even in a dense strewn field area it is best to move along and dig the bingos.

Just more of my unsolicited fatherly advice. Hope you don't mind.

Bob he is the single greatest being in my life, I'm trying so hard to raise him well!! I appreciate you fatherly advise big time, it is certainly inspiring to hear your story and the results of you including him in you favorite activities. I plan to do the same for my son. I know I'm no saint but I do know the activities I participate in for the most part are great for anyone and good enough for raising my boy for sure.

I'd like to try to hunt with no headphones but part of me feels like it is a invasion to other people senses around me if they happen to be passing by in the middle of the woods. The woods where I am located are constantly occupied whether you feel alone or not usually. 

Thanks for the wisdom my friend!!!

• Like 1

Awesome to see this!  I took my little nephew out on a quick hunt a while back.  I gave him a bunch of gear, he was stoked!

unnamed.jpg

20160416_143129.jpg

• Like 1
  • well done 2

17 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Awesome to see this!  I took my little nephew out on a quick hunt a while back.  I gave him a bunch of gear, he was stoked!

Hey brotha,

I can imagine how stoked he was!! That's what great memories are made of right there!!! He'll remember that forever, great age to get them out there and have fun with them as well.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

When I was a kid, my father and I would be on the road by 4:oo am and arrive at some point in the Mohave, just in time to build a fire and have a ritual breakfast of beans and bacon and black coffee while we watched the sun rise. Then we were ready to rock the rocks. Talk about quality time. 

• Like 1