Nugget Shooter Forums
Alwaysdirty

My prospecting Bronco project finished

I haven't been on the forums much this year and haven't even gone prospecting once in 2018. Reason being is I have been spending any and all free time away from my family and job working on my truck, getting ready for the winter prospecting season to come. At the end of January I started overhauling the suspension on my 95' Ford Bronco to a one off custom setup, I have been preparing and collecting parts for this project for years, some of the real expensive stuff I got from Craigslist for 1/2 price or less, just have to be patient. 

I completely gutted the suspension front and rear, I did a solid axle swap on the front after removing the factory TTB setup. I used long travel suspension parts front and rear and had to do a bunch of custom fabrication to make everything work properly, I rebuilt both axles completely also installing new 4.56 gears, a Detroit locker in the rear axle and an OX locker in the front axle, 35" tires finished it off.

I have been an offroad and rock crawler enthusiast for just about my entire life. 4wheeling and prospecting in AZ are a match made in heaven, sometimes I get side tracked having fun 4wheeling while out trying to find some new ground to detect. I am really excited to be able to get into a bunch of new areas or get through washed out roads where most would have to turn around. I've been done with the project for a month now and everything has been working great, the suspension exceeded my expectations in ride comfort and performance. We've been out on a few short offroad trips to test it out and its an entire new experience. I can pretty much go anywhere now! 

Below is some pics before and after. Also,for anyone really interested, I did a suspension build thread on a Bronco forum and detailed just about every step of the process with pictures. There is a ton of work and high quality parts that I put into this thing. Check it out! AZ Prospecting Rig Build

This pic is right after I bought it about 5 years ago.

20130319_180902.jpg

Here is how I have been driving it the last four years.

Bronco current.jpg

And here it is now!

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

• Like 3
  • well done 2

Really nice.  I was a Scout man for years, until my last one rusted out from under me going down the highway and left me stranded with nary but a seatbelt, a steering wheel and skidmarks on my backside.  Broncos were Ford's answer to IH, and not a bad offroad rig.  My younger brother loved a Bronco. 

• Like 3

Sweet Bronco

• Thanks 1

That's a calendar shot at broken arrow, the first shot and the rest all look bad ass! Great work dirty:thumbsupanim

• well done 1

So you do have a modded detector.....

Very nice !!  :thumbsupanim 

• Haha 1

Real class Shay.  I remember digging her out one morning after she got turtled.  Got to get together for some hunts this winter.  

Old Tom

• Like 2

Good job Shay! I know you have worked hard on it :D

You're old enough to know better...it will never be "finished". That is just a little (big) white lie we tell the girlfriend/wife as we decend the ladder into insanity.

When are we installing the turbo?  :brows:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice rig Shay ... Lots of travel in those wheels now!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

That's a calendar shot at broken arrow, the first shot and the rest all look bad ass! Great work dirty:thumbsupanim

Yup! Broken arrow, lucky me grew up back there horsing around, I helped to create some of the single track trails back there for bikes. I was a kid on a BMX bike doing things the mtn bike guys couldnt! Now there is too many jeep tours so I stay away unless it's winter and slow in Sedona.

13 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Real class Shay.  I remember digging her out one morning after she got turtled.  Got to get together for some hunts this winter.  

Old Tom

No more getting turtled for me. Hope to see you at the November outing Tom! :thumbsupanim

10 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Good job Shay! I know you have worked hard on it :D

You're old enough to know better...it will never be "finished". That is just a little (big) white lie we tell the girlfriend/wife as we decend the ladder into insanity.

When are we installing the turbo?  :brows:

You know how it goes Dave! I've already started to ease my wife into the next round of work, custom bumpers and rock sliders. Then a roll cage, then RCV axle shafts, then an Atlas x-fer case, then...

And only one turbo?I bet we could squeeze twin turbos in there!!:ROFL:

Thanks too everyone for a thumbs up! I am really proud of this thing and get a kick out of showing it off. :D

• Like 2
  • well done 2

When you are done...drive it down here and I'll show you how to camouflage it correctly. 

It would look bada$$ with those meaty tires and black wheels. :D

• Like 2

Just now, ArcticDave said:

When you are done...drive it down here and I'll show you how to camouflage it correctly. 

It would look bada$$ with those meaty tires and black wheels. :D

I bet it would! I sometimes think about painting it but esthetics take a back seat to functionality when on a budget. I like the idea of a good camouflage paint and blending in, but funny enough I also have considered painting it neon orange or green with a black grille, bumpers and trim. Seriously! :D

I can't wait to get it down there and hit some trails at the outing. Your welcome to ride along Dave!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alwaysdirty said:

I bet it would! I sometimes think about painting it but esthetics take a back seat to functionality when on a budget. I like the idea of a good camouflage paint and blending in, but funny enough I also have considered painting it neon orange or green with a black grille, bumpers and trim. Seriously! :D

I can't wait to get it down there and hit some trails at the outing. Your welcome to ride along Dave!

We can camo that for about $100 tops.

It is a very budget friendly way to go about it...and super simple to touch up when you scrape it through the desert.

Right on, I'm glad you're coming down for the outing man!

• Like 1