Nugget Shooter Forums
DesertRatPatriot

McConnico mining district, AZ.

You read the old reports of nuggets in the McConnico dist. Does anyone know or have any info they may want to pass along as far as is there anywhere to get out there legally?

I'm guessing not unless maybe a club or someone has a claim on it?

Thanks.

Never heard of it? Is it in nw az? I will be doing some old newspaper research tonight and let you know what I can dig up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You talking about the lewis placers digs....

Edited by azdigger
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, azdigger said:

You talking about the lewis placers digs....

I'm not sure, is that what it's called The Lewis placers? It's just outside of Kingman about 3 to 5 miles to the south west. It's so close to town, and a couple people I've talked to just roll their eye's chuckle and say good luck. So I'm trying to get some real info on it. The old mining reports says good size nuggets in the washes.

11 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

1 minute ago, DesertRatPatriot said:

I'm not sure, is that what it's called The Lewis placers? It's just outside of Kingman about 3 to 5 miles to the south west. It's so close to town, and a couple people I've talked to just roll their eye's chuckle and say good luck. So I'm trying to get some real info on it. The old mining reports says good size nuggets in the washes.

11 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

Thanks for the info Desertpilot.....I'll do some research on mylandmatters.

I have another question.....Is there any good detecting clubs in the Kingman area?

There's somewhere around 250 mining districts in AZ.  To see if the area you want is accessible, I'd check here:

https://land.az.gov/

Go to the parcel viewer, zoom in on the area you want.  Check the layers you want, mostly land ownership layer and reference layer.  This will tell you if its private property or public land. 

An even better way to do this would be to go to mylandmatters.org.  You can do the same as above, but there's a couple of added layers.  One you'll want to look at is wilderness areas.

If it's public land, and not a wilderness area, you'll be able to drive to it and on it, except if the BLM has put a Travel Management Plan.  Last I searched for those, they were not available.  If there is a TMP, its quickly apparent with the brown markers with road numbers on them on the side of the road and each trail.

Now the easy part is done.  Now's determining if the area is claimed.  Mylandmatters is a good start.  If guys are rolling their eyes, then I suggest you check land status first.  Something like 80% of land in AZ is public lands, but half of that public lands is inaccessible for one reason or another: a bombing range the size of Connecticut, national parks, Indian Lands, national Monuments, Wilderness areas are the ones I can think of.

Every time I go to a new area, that is what I do.  I went through that for a couple of the areas I plan going to, including one around Lake Havassu.  If I'm going from Central AZ to Kingman, I personally would keep going to Gold Basin.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chrisski said:

There's somewhere around 250 mining districts in AZ.  To see if the area you want is accessible, I'd check here:

Go to the parcel viewer, zoom in on the area you want.  Check the layers you want, mostly land ownership layer and reference layer.  This will tell you if its private property or public land. 

An even better way to do this would be to go to mylandmatters.org.  You can do the same as above, but there's a couple of added layers.  One you'll want to look at is wilderness areas.

If it's public land, and not a wilderness area, you'll be able to drive to it and on it, except if the BLM has put a Travel Management Plan.  Last I searched for those, they were not available.  If there is a TMP, its quickly apparent with the brown markers with road numbers on them on the side of the road and each trail.

Now the easy part is done.  Now's determining if the area is claimed.  Mylandmatters is a good start.  If guys are rolling their eyes, then I suggest you check land status first.  Something like 80% of land in AZ is public lands, but half of that public lands is inaccessible for one reason or another: a bombing range the size of Connecticut, national parks, Indian Lands, national Monuments, Wilderness areas are the ones I can think of.

Every time I go to a new area, that is what I do.  I went through that for a couple of the areas I plan going to, including one around Lake Havassu.  If I'm going from Central AZ to Kingman, I personally would keep going to Gold Basin.

Thanks Chrisski.

Mohave Prospectors assoc.

They got claims in Gold Basin and Griffith wash aera

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

Keep in mind that not all of the 250 or so mining districts are gold producers and not all of them have detectsble gold.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, azdigger said:

Mohave Prospectors assoc.

They got claims in Gold Basin and Griffith wash aera

I was going to go to their meeting thurs. night but that's the night that monsoon was pounding Kingman and a bunch of areas were flooding. I met a few of their guy's up in the northern White Hills last weekend.

They got a claim on section 28 in Gold Basin...found gold there with drywasher

• Like 1

The MPA only have like 5 claims.......The GSSN  has more to offer in the meadview area

• Like 1

I spent a little above average time in the district. Lewis placer is long gone and covered by private and interstate 40. There used to be nuggets in the area but I accidentally found them all and it's the equivalent of the little San Domingo now. No more nuggets. Enjoy your search.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, boulder dash said:

I spent a little above average time in the district. Lewis placer is long gone and covered by private and interstate 40. There used to be nuggets in the area but I accidentally found them all and it's the equivalent of the little San Domingo now. No more nuggets. Enjoy your search.

Hahahahahaha..........o.k. Thanks. Now I'm more motivated to go check it out. I bought my GBII detector in Montana at Bud Guthrey's shop. Bub trained me how to use it. Bud is the guy who found the 6 lbs. nugget the official report say's east of Dolan Springs. When I met Bud he told me about his big nugget he found in AZ. I asked him where he found it and he told me the Quartzite area. It wasn't till I moved here I found out he found it here near Dolan. At the time he or myself had any idea I would be living in AZ a few years down the road and he still fudged the truth like a wylie old prospector. In his 70's in Helena, MT. and he's still protecting his secret spots.

hey desert rat,i to never thought i'd live in nv,i bought my hi banker 2 from the prospecting shop in helena late 80's,i still have a home in columbia falls but lived in p berg,missoula,kalispell,and bigfork.did some mining in libby with a old crazy vet many years ago.i just bought a GB2 and need some help, i usually stay at the rv park at meadeview and get to claims with my atv.anyway really like this forum and bill's insight

• Like 2

If ya want a lot of insight and great info, watch Bills videos on YouTube. , Super info.

Do you belong to GSSN.

59 minutes ago, azdigger said:

If ya want a lot of insight and great info, watch Bills videos on YouTube. , Super info.

Do you belong to GSSN.

59 minutes ago, azdigger said:

Do you belong to GSSN.

I've been watching Bills vids every evening sense I found them on youtube about a month ago. I know who the GSSN is, do they have a chapter here in the Kingman area?

Posted (edited)

not in kingman but in vegas   this is not to be confused with the GPAA, this is GSSN , Gold Seekers of Southern Nevada got  claims around the king tut area and gold basin. they have a web site, just look up on google

Edited by azdigger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, craigrc56 said:

hey desert rat,i to never thought i'd live in nv,i bought my hi banker 2 from the prospecting shop in helena late 80's,i still have a home in columbia falls but lived in p berg,missoula,kalispell,and bigfork.did some mining in libby with a old crazy vet many years ago.i just bought a GB2 and need some help, i usually stay at ethe rv park at meadeview and get to claims with my atv.anyway really like this forum and bill's insight

I lived in Belgrade for over 25 years. I got into prospecting for gold about 7 or 8 years ago going out to Radersberg, MT. mainly. I love my GB2. I also have a Keene 140 dry washer but I don't use it very often. I found I love detecting. My first real time out with my GB2 I unbelievably found my first patch. Over an ounce in 1-3g nuggets in a spot on forest service that anyone would tell you was no gold. I just saw some pretty looking bed rock in a dry stream bed and thought I'll start right here. Walked 50 feet found a 3g nugget, one of many. I've been pretty much hooked ever sense. What kind of help do you need? 

• wow 1

2 minutes ago, azdigger said:

not in kingman but in vegas   this is not to be confused with the GPAA, this is GSSN , Gold Seekers of Southern Nevada got  claims around the king tut area and gold basin. they have a web site, just look up on google

Yea I was out ATVing a couple weeks ago and saw their big facility up by King Tut. That must be quite a party they have up there. And they have a big claim up in gold basin I believe. I'll look them up on the interweb.  Have you met jim the guy living up on their claim in gold basin? I went out last week and went over on the Temple Bar north White Hills side. Found the skunk but had fun.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply yes i was a member of gssn and will renew my membership this year to use their claims, would like to know when you go in the fall when it cools down and get some tips on the GB2 i'm very new at using it ,must of been a bitch 20 years ago when you tube and the internet wasn't around.even the GPAA,landmatters,nuggett shooters website has been a wealth of info.

• Like 2

we should plan a time to get together ,,have a hunt might be fun.  I live in Golden Valley so not far away. Have a Polaris ranger to get around in

• Like 1

great rick mid september would be fun  i've got a 18" toy hauler and honda rancher to get around in and i;ll give you a shout when i get back from up north 2nd week in september

• Like 2