Nugget Shooter Forums
LowPoint

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

Well now,... "That was fun!!":4chsmu1: I was out today sort of early doing some detecting and trying to stay out for atleast an hour or-so, and yet beat the summer heat and humidity back as well (so much for that).boorb I was detecting up a wash that had been thrashed:ya: pretty good by the last couple of monsoon rainstorms. The floolding water had opened up a section of bedrock and exposed it from bank to bank for a width of about 8 ft. Or-so; the center of which had been scoured thus-leaving a "V"-shape. (The whole exposed section was about 15 ft. Long). There was still water flowing at a trickling-pace, and most of the lowest areas had pooled-up holding water.

I had just detected the exposed bedrock up against the left-side bank and was about to swing the coil across and over to the right side exposed area when my eye:yesss: caught the slight coloration of something (sort of blurred) lite-yellowish down under the water in this open ("V"'d) pool. I had to take a double-take thinking it might just be a light-yellowish-colored rock (as I have found a few times in the past:grr01:). It really wasn't bright, yellowish, and metalic-looking, so I wasn't really sure if it was a nugget or not at first. I didn't even bother to swing my coil over it;... I just stooped down and plucked it out of the water to take a look. It was just then that I realized:WOW: that it was indeed a nugget that was just laying there under 4" of water in a wide-open "V"-shaped crag:ROFL: !!!! I can't say that I have come across a nugget that way before, so I guess there's a first time for everything.

All I had with me was my cheep Tracphone, so the first few photos are of it ( probably blurred) "in-situ". They are probably not too good, but they should be good enough to see what the conditions were like. The last few photos are of it after I cleaned it up at home with a different camera. I also found a small "dink" just upstream (photo'd). The big nugget weighed in at 1.15 Grams, and the combined weight of the two came to 1.22 Grams. "Come-on Monsoon Rains,...come in hard and heavy some more!!!" :poostorm:   Gary

3107-101413.jpg

3107-101413_LI (2).jpg

3107-101444_LI (2).jpg

3107-101457_LI (2).jpg

3107-101514_LI (2).jpg

3107-101547_LI.jpg

3107-101559.jpg

3107-101559_LI.jpg

3107-101621_LI.jpg

3107-101636.jpg

3107-101649.jpg

3107-101719.jpg

SAM_0566.JPG

SAM_0567.JPG

SAM_0568.JPG

SAM_0569.JPG

SAM_0571.JPG

• Like 13
  • well done 6

Cool beans! Did you know that the term Huckle Bearer is a person that carries the coffin?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fishing8046 said:

Cool beans! Did you know that the term Huckle Bearer is a person that carries the coffin?

I suppose that adds some dimension to Val Kilmer's line in Toombstone doesn't it? I always wondered why he said that and figured it had some significance. That makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1

Now that is a cool way to find some gold! The water makes the nugget look even bigger. Way to go Gary!

NICE! Needless to say I'd be hitting that wash again and again...and again. Ha! 

Nice job!

Way to go eagle eye:yesss:

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Alwaysdirty said:

Now that is a cool way to find some gold! The water makes the nugget look even bigger. Way to go Gary!

"Yea", I thought so too.  This stretch of the wash had been covered ( I have been up this wash many times in the past) with all sizes of coble from hard-clay-packed sand and rocks (which I couldn't even get a pick into), to  "boulders" that had been too big to move.  It's amazing the power that fast-flowing water has during a monsoon storm.  It had to have been "just-ripping" down this wash to leave it scoured and clean to bedrock.  Just upstream of this spot there is a contact zone of schist and granite that cuts right thru the wash, which may be where this nugget (and a few others that I have found in the vicinity) came from.    

• Like 1

Oh, on a side note Gary.....I will never poke at you complaining about the heat up there :) Fri/Sat it was so hot and humid I only got about 3-4 hrs a day in detecting. I went up a wash about 1.5 miles and went through my whole 3 liter back pack of water! I was pouring.

Taker easy.
Tom H.

• Haha 1

Boy Tom, I think you were lucky to even get 3-4 hours out there last weekend.  Whenever I have been able to get out (up here) I'm usually out about 7am, and the "humidity" drains me by 10:30.  It's not so much the heat now, but the humidity "socks-it-to-ya".  I feel like I'm walking around in a hot sauna dripping with sweat.....  Well,.. guess I can't really downplay and say that about the heat, as today (right now) it is 101 out with about 30% humidity.    Hurry up Fall and Winter!!!  Gary 

• Like 4

Man I love seeing them just laying there, but I have never got one after a rain waiting for me in a puddle. VERY COOL :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

I agree Bill,...  It's a Great feeling and experience when you are on your knees after digging down far enough to get to a gold nugget; and then you finally see it just laying there.  And the added-adrenaline-pumper is when you can eye-one from an upright standing position,... then when you pick it up, it really turns out to be what you "hoped" it would be. :ROFL::4chsmu1::WOW: 

• Like 4