Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kbaldwin0630

Help ID please!

The first is suspected opalized wood but I wanted a confirmation from others. The second I forgot what it was but I remember that it forms underneath sand, it's a soft crystal, and that is sand trapped inside of it. The last photo my guess is marble some other type of  mineral. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_36561.jpg

IMG_36571.jpg

received_511296229298700.jpeg

I may be able to help with the second photo. It looks similar to crystals found around "saline" areas sometimes associated with salt domes. Years ago I found some on the Texas Gulf Coastal Plains while searching for Karankawan artifacts in a deep cut dug by the county. Hope this helps and HH!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just going from the from the photos with no other info:  1'st photo, I'm not seeing any structure(s) in the sample to sway me to ID it as silicified wood.  I going with Chalcedony, a type of micro crystalline quartz.  The second photo looks like a piece of Muscovite Mica or a section of Gypsum.  Then there is the third photo.   Overall, the piece reminds me of an ore of some type.  The "red" parts looks like Hematite, the long "blades" look like Quartz, the middle band looks like Quartz with Pyrite, and the white lower section could be Calcite, then again as Randy said, it could be Halite (salt), or again Quartz.  Try placing some warm vinegar on the different colored pieces and see if it fizzes or does not fizz; also note any other attributes when the vinegar is placed on it.  If you know how, do a streak and hardness test on each of the colored pieces and report back.

Edited by 4meter
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok,  this is my opinion.

The first one sure looks like opal to me, but if it is not, it sure is a pretty color blue. I`d like to see more.....or at least know where it came from.

The second one is Selenite  var. Hourglass selenite

The third one looks identical to the material collected from the Rowley Mine , Theba, Arizona. My guess is that the yellow mineral in there is mimetite. That also would mean that the whitish mineral in the red oxide is likely Barite.

Wulfenite is a common mineral at the location too.

Edited by adam
  • Like 5

I don't know how typical this is, but selenite crystals that look like #2 can be dug in sand in the Oklahoma Salt Beds.  I thought they came from the Oklahoma River by Oklahoma City, but this article says they are in the salt plains: https://roadtrippers.com/stories/these-unique-crystals-can-be-found-in-this-state-and-you-can-dig-them-up-for-yourself.  First saw these crystals on a old "Gold Fever" episode with Tom Massey.  Regardless, of where they are from, I really wished I knew about these when I lived in Oklahoma.

• Like 2

Adam nailed it spot on. #1 and #2 are pretty clearly opal and selenite. The last one looks similar to an ore from a local mine in my area. There is quartz and calcite bands with arsenic and antimony ochres filling them. The mine yields silver, tungsten and quartz for flux. I bet the minerals in this ore are very similar.

• Like 2

If there is arsenic ore present, breaking or grinding a small piece will produce a "garlic" odor.

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much! If there's any other type of photos you'd like to help solidify youre identification just let me know! I don't have any other information because they were essentially dug out of a mystery bin of random rocks/crystals (vendor didn't even know they were in there)

• Like 1