Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
azdigger

Mike Furness , got a question

Recommended Posts

Sightly off topic, but while paddling a kayak on a river in Washington State that was a light blue color from snow runoff I flipped over.

I was not wearing a wetsuit and by the time I surfaced I could only use one arm to hook a nylon rope loop on the bow. 

The rest of me was so frozen I could only float helplessly as the boat followed the blue current.

I was saved by friends who had the presence of mind to jump into a car and drive downstream to the next pull-out and snag me as I went by.

It took over three hours lying in the sun on dark rocks to start to feel halfway normal.

I cannot imagine being in a kayak and tipping if you can't get your feet wet. When you tip everything gets wet even if you wear a splash-shield.

I would get a barge or something that won't tip at all if you simply must be on the water.

Good luck

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

First you had me racing an electric canoe in your mind. Now you have me racing an outboard kayak. What next? A jet ski?

Of course I cant paddle that fast! Don't be silly! But then that was not my point at all and I think you know that.

I can paddle that Old Town as fast as the trolling motor will push it. How about that? That is a fair comparison and illustrates my point about hull speed. 

The point of the discussion is that you are not going to make a kayak go on plane without overcoming some big engineering problems. If you do overcome these problems you get an inefficient boat that does not fill the niche of a kayak nor does it do the job of a skiff. That is really all I am saying and I hope that my feelings on this don't cause you too much anxiety. 

 

 

Nope...your first reply to me was with a quote of a post I made about a guy I knew who bolted a frame together that used two kayaks and a 5 hp motor.....you replied that he'd go just as fast with a big paddle.....you're wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Nope...your first reply to me was with a quote of a post I made about a guy I knew who bolted a frame together that used two kayaks and a 5 hp motor.....you replied that he'd go just as fast with a big paddle.....you're wrong.

I can live with that. Can you?

There is no doubt that you can, with the proper modifications, put an outboard on a kayak and make it go faster than you can paddle it. My statement was an obvious exaggeration. You can certainly go faster in a kayak with an outboard than you can paddle it. And, with the proper modifications you can even make a kayak plane.

It does not really make much sense and there are obvious engineering issues with it. I should have explained all that in detail rather than just posting the link about hull speed and assuming you knew what I was talking about. Instead I just said he could paddle faster and that was oh-so-very wrong of me because that is clearly a false statement. I hang my head in shame.

I spoke in absolutes and you seized the chance to prove me wrong. And you did a fantastic job at it! 

Will this satisfy you or do we need to do this some more? Because I like talking about kayaks and this is getting a bit tiresome. We can dwell on it some more if you would like, but I would rather move on. Is this O.K.?

 

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

... but I would rather move on. Is this O.K.?

 

First, I want to see a raft of engineering studies, and second, you must present the evidence to someone impartial.  Isaac Parker, maybe. 

Azdigger, whatever craft you end up with, it will be good to read how it turns out for you.  And take photos, lot of photos.  I had it in the back of my mind for decades that it would be fun to do some kayaking, but the entire time I lived up in Alaska I had kids at home and was a single dad, so I went with a Grumman freighter -- built like a Merkava, and for one person about as easy as a tank to portage long distances through alder thickets, and particularly onerous on windy days to load on top of a truck ladder rack, but stable in the water, especially with a load of offspring as ballast.  Your new-fangled little kayak should be a dream to maneuver, both in water and on land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Saul R W said:

First, I want to see a raft of engineering studies, and second, you must present the evidence to someone impartial.  Isaac Parker, maybe. 

Azdigger, whatever craft you end up with, it will be good to read how it turns out for you.  And take photos, lot of photos.  I had it in the back of my mind for decades that it would be fun to do some kayaking, but the entire time I lived up in Alaska I had kids at home and was a single dad, so I went with a Grumman freighter -- built like a Merkava, and for one person about as easy as a tank to portage long distances through alder thickets, and particularly onerous on windy days to load on top of a truck ladder rack, but stable in the water, especially with a load of offspring as ballast.  Your new-fangled little kayak should be a dream to maneuver, both in water and on land.

I know a guy that bolted two Grummans together and put a 455 Oldsmobile in it. I would have probably just used a paddle.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I know a guy that bolted two Grummans together and put a 455 Oldsmobile in it. I would have probably just used a paddle.

I knew a guy who transported a pair of Grumman square sterns on his de Havilland Beaver, one strapped sort of on top of each float.  Somewhere along the flight, one canoe shifted and dropped a bit in the front, hanging lower than the float.  He flipped upon landing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Saul R W said:

I knew a guy who transported a pair of Grumman square sterns on his de Havilland Beaver, one strapped sort of on top of each float.  Somewhere along the flight, one canoe shifted and dropped a bit in the front, hanging lower than the float.  He flipped upon landing.

I know a guy who had a couple of beavers. He bolted two DeHaviland's together and paddled them on their square sterns. He would have gone faster in a canoe but he flipped because one of those beavers was hanging lower in the front. :) 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I know a guy who had a couple of beavers. He bolted two DeHaviland's together and paddled them on their square sterns. He would have gone faster in a canoe but he flipped because one of those beavers was hanging lower in the front. :) 

So much for taking the high road huh???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

So much for taking the high road huh???

Do you have a problem with this post now? 

You are a tedious fellow aren't you! I am just going to stop posting on this thread because it seems you just want conflict. Please just chill out and leave me alone. Ignore my posts if they irritate you and I will ignore yours.

I am not on here to butt heads with a cabezon. I am just having some fun. If you want to argue please do it with someone else!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Because I love you bro! Chillthefuckout!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ADMIN please close this thread, it has gotten way off the original question I asked...….so please close it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, azdigger said:

ADMIN please close this thread, it has gotten way off the original question I asked...….so please close it

Sorry man. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just thought we might be able to talk kayaks a bit without things going south. I truly apologize.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Just havin a little fun. Didnt mean to piss anyone off.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up getting a Float Tube and Waders....will work until I decide what model , this is so I can get out and fish now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Awesome Rick! A float tube is a super fishing platform!

You could make a tubular frame and bolt two together and put an outboard on it.....:)

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Someone stop me. I just can't help myself.
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only weigh in at about 260 now and I got one rated for 350....

Where I want to fish I can take it, put it in the water and I will be just fishing in a cove...they have the fish habitats there so I know I will get fish, have every time I have fished there, even from shore.

I got some light weight waders to wear and I have some 3mm waders also.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, azdigger said:

ADMIN please close this thread, it has gotten way off the original question I asked...….so please close it

Rick do you still want me to lock this topic so no one can reply any longer, delete it, or leave it active, your call? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is about over, can open another one ...Thanks go ahead nd close or delete

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll lock it in case someone can find some useful info in the topic, it can always be deleted later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×