Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DOC

Ebay Sellers/ Byers Beware - Never upload tracking.

Well I have been selling on Ebay a long time.  I have a 100% feedback rating but I learn something new every day.  I know a lot of you guys sell on Ebay as well, or purchase.

I have just lost a lot of money and time trying to recover a brand new Equinox 800 I sold on Ebay, worth $900, all because I dutifully uploaded tracking information.

After selling the Equinox, I packaged it and shipped it.  Buyer notifies me she didn't buy the item.  I get her contact information and call her.  All the address information is correct but she says she has no idea of how the item got ordered through Ebay and paid for with her Pay Pal account.  I told her just refuse the package when it arrives, when I get it back I will refund her money.  I told her to contact Ebay and Pay Pal.  I followed up our telephone conversation with a message through Ebay to document the conversation.  (I honestly thought her husband probably bought it and didn't tell her, and she would probably get back in touch with me and tell me her husband confessed to buying the detector and all was fine.)

On the day the package was to arrive I checked tracking to make sure the buyer had refused the package and that it was on it's way back to me.  Instead I find that the package had been intercepted and re-routed to New Jersey and was due for delivery on that very day.

Now I get the postal inspectors involved.  They tell me that the package has been delivered to a Russian Freight forwarding company that has been known to be used by hackers and scammers.

Long story short, the postal inspectors tell me that anyone who hacks an ebay account and paypal account and makes an unauthorized purchase obviously has access to all of the account information.  So they know the account holders name, address and when the seller dutifully uploads the tracking information, that is all they need to redirect a package to anywhere they want to.

The only way to stop it, is to not upload tracking information.  SELLER BEWARE!  Paypal seller protection DOES NOT protect you if the package is redirected, so you are just out of luck.

I happened to have had a great postal inspector, who went above and beyond to recover my merchandise.  The merchandise had been repackaged and was getting ready to be shipped to Russia.  Inside the box was not only my merchandise valued at $900 but also a watch valued at $1000, which I knew nothing about.  Obviously the hacker was scamming several items then having the forwarder consolidate the stolen merchandise into one box to be sent to them in Russia.  I told the postal inspector to seize the watch, and my Equinox 800 is on the way back to me.

Take this information and do with it what you will, but protect yourself.  I would recommend that if you are a seller, never upload tracking information.  If you are a buyer, tell the seller not to upload tracking information.

• Like 8

Thanks Doc for that info, hopefully it will save anyone who reads this a loss and big headaches, I know I will use that advice if I buy anything from eBay!!

Glad to hear you should be getting back your merchandise!!

Thanks for the valuable info, Doc ... I never put shipping tracking on anything but a private email between me and the buyer ... Cheers, Unc

Thanks Doc. Good to know.
Tom H.

I rerouted a package on UPS and it was surprisingly easy.  You don't need anything special to do it.   As I was rerouting the package because I gave the wrong street number, I was thinking that anyone could do it.  With UPS, if delivery was attempted, the sender needs to change it, but if delivery has not been attempted, the receiver can change it, and change it very easily.

Thanks Doc for the info.,....  I do some selling on ebay and am trying to understand what you mean when you said:  "never upload tracking information" ???  I did not see anywhere on my listings where it give me the option to do anything with tracking information???  When I ship any of my items I get a printed receipt showing a Tracking Number for that shipment.  Are you saying Not to divulge (give out) that tracking number on ebay ??? Not even to the buyer???? Thanks, Gary

47 minutes ago, LowPoint said:

I did not see anywhere on my listings where it give me the option to do anything with tracking information???  When I ship any of my items I get a printed receipt showing a Tracking Number for that shipment.  Are you saying Not to divulge (give out) that tracking number on ebay ??? Not even to the buyer???? Thanks, Gary

Same here. While I don't sell much, I never realized you had an option. But everything I buy has a tracking number on it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DOC said:

The only way to stop it, is to not upload tracking information.  SELLER BEWARE!  Paypal seller protection DOES NOT protect you if the package is redirected, so you are just out of luck.

Hi Doc,

I just had the same happen to me on some electronics I sold on ebay for $1200 about 2 months ago. But I use the ebay and paypal shipping. It was shipped to an address in California, then rerouted to somewhere in New York. It is happening a lot now. But I shipped it with insurance, and signature confirmation through USPS. Then the buyer said their account was hacked, and filed for a refund. Paypal took the money out of my account. I then called paypal, and they said since I had a signature confirmation that I was protected, and paypal refunded my money back. Paypal told me if I did not have the signature, I would have lost the seller protection. Did you send with insurance and signature confirmation?

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 2

Sorry as it is, there is simply no way to be 100% safe when involved in E Commerce. No matter how many protections outfits like E Bay set in place the Thieves find a niche in the armor.

• Like 1

Had the same thing almost happen to me a couple months ago, a Minelab Safari was purchased at my store and shipped to the customer, as soon as he got the tracking he called Minelab and said he did not order the detector and fortunately he sent it back to Minelab (was a drop ship) I refunded his money and all was good except I lost a sale. This one was FedEx and they said people are doing this at addresses where they know the person is gone during delivery hours and grab the package off the porch after they wave signature option with a phone call. Yes they had his card info and other personal info to do it, but got tricked because it was a drop ship... I got lucky.

22 hours ago, LowPoint said:

Thanks Doc for the info.,....  I do some selling on ebay and am trying to understand what you mean when you said:  "never upload tracking information" ???  I did not see anywhere on my listings where it give me the option to do anything with tracking information???  When I ship any of my items I get a printed receipt showing a Tracking Number for that shipment.  Are you saying Not to divulge (give out) that tracking number on ebay ??? Not even to the buyer???? Thanks, Gary

If you are doing your shipping labels on Ebay, that tracking number is being uploaded automatically to the buyer's account.  If the buyer's account has been hacked the hacker now has all the information needed to re-direct that package.  I use a third party vendor label generator, so I have the option to upload or not upload tracking to Ebay.  I use Endicia, but another label program is Stamps.com.

If you look at your list of sold items.  You will see that anything you have sold, also has the tracking number listed.

I share the tracking number with the buyer only by phone call or private email.  After the sale has been completed, under the sales information in ebay, their email and phone number is listed.  So I have actually been calling and confirming they did in fact order the merchandise and that their address is correct.  If their phone number is bogus, I cancel the order.

Doc

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Hi Doc,

I just had the same happen to me on some electronics I sold on ebay for $1200 about 2 months ago. But I use the ebay and paypal shipping. It was shipped to an address in California, then rerouted to somewhere in New York. It is happening a lot now. But I shipped it with insurance, and signature confirmation through USPS. Then the buyer said their account was hacked, and filed for a refund. Paypal took the money out of my account. I then called paypal, and they said since I had a signature confirmation that I was protected, and paypal refunded my money back. Paypal told me if I did not have the signature, I would have lost the seller protection. Did you send with insurance and signature confirmation?

I had signature confirmation, however if you now read the fine print on PayPal's seller protection, it says that Seller protection does not apply if the package has been re-directed.

Doc

27 minutes ago, DOC said:

If you are doing your shipping labels on Ebay, that tracking number is being uploaded automatically to the buyer's account.  If the buyer's account has been hacked the hacker now has all the information needed to re-direct that package.  I use a third party vendor label generator, so I have the option to upload or not upload tracking to Ebay.  I use Endicia, but another label program is Stamps.com.

If you look at your list of sold items.  You will see that anything you have sold, also has the tracking number listed.

I share the tracking number with the buyer only by phone call or private email.  After the sale has been completed, under the sales information in ebay, their email and phone number is listed.  So I have actually been calling and confirming they did in fact order the merchandise and that their address is correct.  If their phone number is bogus, I cancel the order.

Doc

USPS.com also works.  This entire thread provides a good public service.  Every few weeks, it seems, a new scam targets eBay buyers and sellers, with sellers taking the brunt of the loss. 

If this gets blamed on POTUS I will eat my hat.

Brownie.

PS thank you Doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stopped selling on Ebay due to this stuff going on.....might buy but will not sell there anymore.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Brownnugget said:

If this gets blamed on POTUS I will eat my hat.

Brownie.

PS thank you Doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brownie, now that you mention it, I don't remember hearing about this happening  before the election.  Could it be more collusion?   What flavor is your hat?

Edited by kwah
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, DOC said:

I had signature confirmation, however if you now read the fine print on PayPal's seller protection, it says that Seller protection does not apply if the package has been re-directed.

Doc

Hmmm must be a brand new thing, because that is exactly what the buyer did through post office is re-directed the package. I still got my money back, and that was just like 2-3 months ago. I for sure thought I was out of the money/ scammed.... Paypal took it out of my account. But I had to call them to show I did everything, and fought them, then they refunded my money.

Hope you get your money back

Edited by DolanDave

1 hour ago, DolanDave said:

Hmmm must be a brand new thing, because that is exactly what the buyer did through post office is re-directed the package. I still got my money back, and that was just like 2-3 months ago. I for sure thought I was out of the money/ scammed.... Paypal took it out of my account. But I had to call them to show I did everything, and fought them, then they refunded my money.

Hope you get your money back

I got the detector back.  I am out like $80 in shipping and I have to jump through hoops to get my Ebay seller fees of $72 back.  Pain in my butt.

Doc

• Like 2

I no longer do anything on eBay! Just not worth the risk ... plenty of other avenues locally to sell merchandise. JMO of course! :old: