Nugget Shooter Forums
homefire

Batteries, OOOOOH I like Batteries !

Working on some batteries for a E-Bike Project.

Well I got sorta tired of testing batteries one at a time. Purchased a LiitoKala Lii-500 4 hole. This puppy set in the Nor Test does it all.

Charges battery to max at 250, 500 ,750 or 1000 mAh.
Follows with a Discharge to the 3.00V Limit recording Amp Hours. I can set for 250 or 500mAh.
Recharges the battery to the 4.20V top them off and Reports the Numbers.

Amp Hours , Voltage and even the Internal Battery Resistance.

Trying to order another box of 100 but the guy is out for a while. Dang !

I REALLY Want some of these puppies. You can actually start a car with four of the things . I would need 16 to make up my 48V , Wicked Wanda the Wonder Wife say Maybe on the second Christmas Next Year ?

Note For  Dave !   These could save you a few LB's in weight, eaaa?    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HEADWAY-...361354&hash=item2aa9b8ebc7:g:J44AAOSwUYNaS8aC

First Test.jpg

BatteryPacks start.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'd check the battery charts about how long a particular battery can draw a charge.  Just watched a video of a go carter who melted a battery terminal because he drew too much, too quick from the battery.  I think his battery was rated at 30 amps for 30 minutes, but he melted the battery terminal after his test drive.  He was well within the AH rating of the battery, but the batteries were not designed to deliver the amps so quickly for so long.  A shorter test drive would have been fine.

The battery issue shows after 7 minutes:

The batteries you listed are rated to 200 amps and also 8 AH.  How long they last is not linear so you just can't do 8/200.  At 8 AH in a linear relationship would be about a minute and a half of power, but it'll be less than a minute and a half discharging at 200 amps.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It sure can happen.  That's why the Creator Invented FUSES, eaa?   LOL   This bike is 1000W @ 48v.   1000W / 48V = 20.83 Amps.  5 * 5 amps could do 25 Amps at best.   Under Dirres the motor should only ask for  20.8 Amps.That would only be the case if you stuck it on Full Power .  Most power requirements would be well under the rated 3750mAh of each individual cell.    The batteries are capable of over 20 Amps each .  All individual cells are getting fused at 5 Amps each.  If one should go Short (Never Heard of it Happening! )  it can not take the whole pack with it.  Going with 5, 18650 in parallel.  2600 mAh each.  The fuses will never see a 5 Amp drain unless something goes south.  Battery Out is going to be fused at 25Amp.    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_pDil2dkRPTTDlVNUcyRjZHWm8/view

Fuses being used:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/200Pcs-Glass-Fuse-Tube-Axial-With-Lead-Wire-Fast-Blows-Fuse-3x10mm-250V-5A-BS1/263232945558?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Edited by homefire

I could fly for days on that battery pack :ya:

I added those to my watch list. They would certainly save some weight over a lead battery. I like that they are screw tops.

What about charging them?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

I could fly for days on that battery pack :ya:

I added those to my watch list. They would certainly save some weight over a lead battery. I like that they are screw tops.

What about charging them?

Use one of these.  Keeps the cells Balanced and you would be able to use a regular automotive battery charger.  Sorry this one is limited to 100Amps continuous.  LOL

I found a source in China quoted me a price of $12.80 a cell.   Nexxed that Idea when figured out the shipping would be $96.00  LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-14-8V-4S-100A-BMS-PCB-PCM-for-LiFePO4-18650-26650-LIPO-Battery-with-BALANCE/322462151426?hash=item4b143df302%3Ag%3AwsMAAOSwzXxaE~jA&_sacat=0&_nkw=4s+LIFEPO4++BATTERy+charger&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, homefire said:

I'm afraid that is above my skill level. I wouldn't even know where to start.

The low price and capacity of those batteries is attractive. The weight is 11.5 oz per cell...plus bus bars and hardware. That is maybe 50% of the weight of a conventional battery.  Figuring out a convenient way to charge them would be the key. I would like something I could just plug into a little pigtail wired into the battery pack. Like a battery tender.

I had been considering a solar panel over the fuel tank in the center section to keep the battery up to snuff, but it will be inside or under a cover 95% of the time, so solar isn't making much sense at the moment. A higher capacity battery pack like those, may the most effective and lightest solution.

Posted (edited)

Dave, Easy Stuff.  You simply wire one wire to the neg.  Next wire to the first cells Pos, Next wire to the Next cells Pos Next wire to the Next cells Pos.  Until all cells are wired.  Two wires from the BMS  (Battery Management System ) are used for the Load.  Two for the Charging. 

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

Well this should finish up my battery buys for a spell.   Ordered 100 SamSung 2600mAh  this time.  These have already been removed from the Modem Battery packs and tested.  Suppose to all be above 90% capacity.  Still testing the pile I had but there not giving me as many  2500mAh cells that I want to use. All others are falling in the 2400mAh range .  That can work just need to make the packs 6P making the battery pack a bit larger.  .   Going to build  10,000 mAh battery packs using  5P x 3S x 4 cell pack  60 cells in all .  48V  10Amp   ...  Will try to do the same with the SamSung.   What ever batteries I end up left from both buys will be repacked into what ever I can that will do the Job.  In the end I should end up with two or three 10Ah batteries and maybe a forth .    I want to build the 10Amp because I can run them Parrell and ride most of the day .  Charging time on the 10Amp batteries only take half the time a single 20Amp battery would. 

Found this site that has a Calculator to repack the batteries.  You tell it what cell configuration you want.  Plug in all the mAh ratings of your batteries and it tell you what batteries to load each cell with to keep everything Balanced.  It would have taken me hours to do that with a calculator.  LOL

I'm going to end up with two life time supplies of 18650's not good enough for the Bike but fine for most of my detectors.  LOL  The GMT loves em.    Using three 18650 series (3.7v  Nominal) * 3 = 11.1v.   They run 4.2 volts full charge and 12.6 in the detector .   Never Ever Ran out of Battery power.  They last way longer then I do. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-SAMSUNG-18650-ICR18650-26F-2600MAH-CELL-LITHIUM-ION-BATTERY-POWERWALL-90-up/202322360848?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

http://repackr.com/

AbogsWay.jpg

• Like 2

I need MORE BATTERIES ! LOL   99 LG 2600 Tested, working on the 100 SamSung. This is the makings of a 12,000mAh and two 10,000 mAh E-Bike Batteries.  I really want a 20Ah battery for everyday use. 

Testing.jpg

Tested LG.jpg

100SamSung.jpg

• Like 1