Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold basin.....very hot rock. Found it this morning just threw it in my 'hot rock' pouch. Thought it was a big iron nugget of which I save all of them to throw in the flower bed at home. Got it home and was cleaning it up and the more I cleaned the more my heart started pounding. So I ground a window in it and shezzam it's a chondrite! Can't weigh it until I get a bigger scale but I'm guessing it's well over 1 pound. Thought I got skunked today.....not! 

20180720_174842.jpg

• Like 7

Great find, I will be at Gold Basin in the morning, trying my new 6 inch coil on my equinox 800. if your out there ,I will be in a gold/champain colored Chevy Venture van. out past the GSSN claims.

Great find, I have only found one GB meteorite, several from Franconia

• Like 1

Nice surprise!

• Like 1

Wicked awesome find man, nice big chondrite!!!!! Congrats!!! My heart would be pounding too LOL!

• Like 1

azdigger........I spend about 3 or 4 day's a week out prospecting detecting 90% at Gold Basin. I've found several chondrites, my other biggest one is about 250 grams. Most are between 10 and 15 grams. And they can be anywhere literally. The funny thing is I thought it was just one of those iron monsters you get a lot of out there. It screamed in my ears and jumped on my magnet but I still thought it was just an iron bomb of earth variety but I always save them if they fit in my pouch. This one was a couple inches down and very muddy with a dirt crust on it. When I looked at it out there it looked like it had some other mix in it like quartz and I know chondrites don't. Right before supper I was washing another rock with quartz in it and threw them both together in some vinegar, in just a couple mins that vinegar cleaned the dirt off that iron bomb and my heart went up. I used my belt sander to grind a window in it and was pretty happy to see the night sky in it. Good luck today.....I won't be out there today. Stay cool!

NICE FIND, WAY TO HOT AND WITH ALL OF THE STORMS YOU NEVER KNOW IF IT WILL FLOOD.

• Like 1

Rick, Yeah, I get out there about 5 am and hunt till about noon. And watch what the thunderstorms are doing if they're around. If it starts to rain get the heck out a.s.a.p.

I got run out of GB today due to the storm m,, did fine 2 little lead shavings. no gold , but I know that new coil is going to be killer.  I will post pics when I get a chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DesertRatPatriot said:

Rick, Yeah, I get out there about 5 am and hunt till about noon. And watch what the thunderstorms are doing if they're around. If it starts to rain get the heck out a.s.a.p.

That's what you have to do now that it's so hot, the thing that would keep me out of there is all of the storms we have been getting. I've been there when the roads wash out!

21 minutes ago, Rick R said:

That's what you have to do now that it's so hot, the thing that would keep me out of there is all of the storms we have been getting. I've been there when the roads wash out!

I was out there a couple weeks ago and a storm came up out of the lake. By the time I made it back to the truck I was soaked. The washes were just starting to run about the time I drove out. Gregs Hideout already has got some bad spots now. I know some guys that were out there a few years ago during monsoon and a BLM ranger came out and told them to get out now preceding a storm that his later in the day.

Wow! Congratulations!!!:thumbsupanim

• Like 1

I bet the rain put a crimp in the 'Land Sale' out there today:thumbsupanim. I think I'll head out there in the morning and get a few hrs. in. Did you see out there where they're putting in a bunch of new roads and getting ready to open up a bunch of more lots for sale? Theres a lot of dirt moved around out there right now and until the fall when the snow birds start showing up it's pretty much fresh territory for detecting. I've got one little nugget out of it so far. Good Luck! If you see a '94 green chevy pickup out there come say Hi.

• Like 1

I think if I go back up there I am going to take my Polaris Ranger and not my little van.....

I saw the land for sale...been a good while since I been there. Changed a lot...even saw the port a potty...he he  , works good.

good hunting.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hey Congrats on a nice GB meteorite desertrat. I remember back in 2013 a tour bus got washed away in a flood on Pierce Ferry and Gregg Hideout Road there near Gold Basin. I got caught up in the storm that day also hunting the Basin, but waited it out in my truck on high ground in Gold Basin.

Dave

GB Flood.jpg

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 2

Nice score!

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, DolanDave said:

Hey Congrats on a nice GB meteorite desertrat. I remember back in 2013 a tour bus got washed away in a flood on Pierce Ferry and Gregg Hideout Road there near Gold Basin. I got caught up in the storm that day also hunting the Basin, but waited it out in my truck on high ground in Gold Basin.

Dave

GB Flood.jpg

I heard 2010 was the mother of all monsoon years. I don't like to see the damage to property or persons but all that water scrubbing down a new batch of nuggets out of the hills can't be all bad.

• Like 2

I had just left Meadview before this happened , was getting out before problems .   Made it in time.

• Like 2