Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Graham

Interesting find please help

Hi I found this today. could someone please   Tell me what they think it may be  cheers Graham 

8C2857AF-D7FD-4359-B080-E218E97683D0.jpeg

B74EDA0B-431D-46DC-BE23-DC7B0C534B51.jpeg

I replied to the same rock in another thread a few minutes ago.  'S'not a meteorite.  I think it belongs in the Rocks, Minerals and Fossils section.

• Like 1

My color perception isn't great (too many head-first dives off cliffs with homemade parachutes as a kid, trying to hang glide), but the pattern is strikingly similar to star emerald, maybe in a schist instead of granite peg?  Definitely some nice radial crystal groups.  Neat rock.  I want one.

Looks in a way like brain coral.  Maybe petrified?

• Like 1

Looks like a fossil maybe?  Certainly not a meteorite.

• Like 1

Thanks it defo not coral but thanks for replying bk 

What area it was found would be the first thing I'd ask to narrow down possibilities.  Check hardness and streak.  And crystal shape and color.

• Like 1

Come from a chalk quary in East Sussex uk that’s all I know 

10 minutes ago, Graham said:

Come from a chalk quary in East Sussex uk that’s all I know 

Well, gee, my first impression of the crystals was way off.

Graham. I have merged 2 of your topics onto one.

Maybe goethite? 

• Like 1

It s defiantly a Pyrite nodule.  Do a streak and hardness test on a fresh "metallic" exposed portion, not on the dull yellowing-brown surface,  to confirm for yourself.

How many pieces of this did you find? The first photo looks like a half piece and the pic further down looks complete...fully round? Show us a cross-section pic of the first photo if you can! 

Just read some information regarding England's chalk quarries. Chalk's main component is calcium carbonate which is a form of limestone. The article went on to say that MANY fossilized marine examples can and are found in England's chalk quarries.! Not saying for sure that is what you have but you may want to google England's chalk quarries and take a look.

I don't think it's a fossil. The first thing that came to my mind was a goethite radial cluster that's been badly weathered. I could be wrong so we'll have to wait to hear what the steak looks like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randall said:

Just read some information regarding England's chalk quarries. Chalk's main component is calcium carbonate which is a form of limestone. The article went on to say that MANY fossilized marine examples can and are found in England's chalk quarries.! Not saying for sure that is what you have but you may want to google England's chalk quarries and take a look.

Those chalk quarries also produce pyrite nodules. This has the look of one of those. Needs to be tested to be certain, but it's the direction I'm leaning.

• Like 3

Here's a pyrite module in situ.

IMG_3949.JPG

• Like 2

And here's one broken open. Nowhere near as weathered as the OP's rock.

IMG_3950.JPG

• Like 4

Hey I'm certainly not disagreeing with you guys cause what I read also stated different minerals can also be found! Those last two photos look pretty convincing :)

It is an iron concretion. Like a shaman stone or a moqui marble. A fairly common oddity. Plenty of photos on the internet to compare it with. They are spherical but often break in pieces showing a radial or concentric pattern.

It is a sweet rock. Go back and find a matched pair of complete spherical concretions and you will have a set of "shaman stones". Very good luck!