Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
middleforkminer2

New "OLD" gun on its way...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 Well, I finally managed to snag what I think is a "lightly used" Remington 550-1 (.22) on gunbroker... $205.00 :ya:  I must have bid on a dozen or so in the past few years, but was always outbid...

 I had one back in the mid seventies, but my brother left it next to the barn over a winter when we were in Missouri and it rusted really bad....IMHO, it's one of the best made semi autos ever produced.  The one I had back then didn't have the grooved receiver, this one does....My old one functioned flawlessly with shorts, longs, long rifle, and while I never tried any CB shorts, they're supposed to work as well....it's supposed to arrive at my dealers door next Wed. and then it'll be another 10 days to take possession....man, I'm stoked.... Over the years, I've owned a bunch of different .22s, but none ever lived up to the fun I used to have with that old Remington 550....:yesss:

Edited by middleforkminer2
spelling
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you have had one before I'm sure you know about the floating chamber and/or ejector pin sticking over time. If not there is plenty of info on YouTube to help you out. I've worked on a few over the years for friends who have had one. I'm not a gunsmith but am more of a tinkerer when it comes to gun problems. Great gun when taken care of. Have fun with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep...I know all about the floating chamber and after I lob a few rounds through it, I'm gonna take it apart and clean/treat it with either "Frog Lube" or Hornady "One Shot "....lubes that weren't available back in the day...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Mossberg Model 351KA, No serial # on it, they stopped making them back in the 60'sHas a loading tube through the butt stock, I love this rofle also is a groved reciver for a scope Grubstake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got one of those Mossberg 351KA back in the late 50's. Must have fired a hundred bricks through it. Shot the Remington for a while but it was borrowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Well, I picked the gun up Sunday and I've put a mix of different rounds through it (CB caps, shorts and LR)without any FTF, eject or chamber...:brows:  the barrel code dates it at being made in Sept. 1967 I haven't tried to see how well it groups yet, but it seems to hit whatever I shoot at...tree bark/cans etc...I also took it apart and gave it a good cleaning even though once I got it apart, it was apparent that this little .22 has seen little use...I think I got really lucky on this one...it's a keeper.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

  Well, I picked the gun up Sunday and I've put a mix of different rounds through it (CB caps, shorts and LR)without any FTF, eject or chamber...:brows:  the barrel code dates it at being made in Sept. 1967 I haven't tried to see how well it groups yet, but it seems to hit whatever I shoot at...tree bark/cans etc...I also took it apart and gave it a good cleaning even though once I got it apart, it was apparent that this little .22 has seen little use...I think I got really lucky on this one...it's a keeper.

All those old Remington rifles are well made guns. I am a bolt action guy and have a 572 about the same vintage and it has had thousands of rounds through it. It groups within 1/2" at 50 and has since the day I got it. I used to have a couple of Remington pump gallery guns and they shot button holes too. I have never shot the model that you have but I did have a Remington "nylon" 22 and that thing was indestructible.

If it will shoot CB's and cycle it will probably never fail to run with any ammo. You would think that a rifle that eats those things would eat it all....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

All those old Remington rifles are well made guns. I am a bolt action guy and have a 572 about the same vintage and it has had thousands of rounds through it. It groups within 1/2" at 50 and has since the day I got it. I used to have a couple of Remington pump gallery guns and they shot button holes too. I have never shot the model that you have but I did have a Remington "nylon" 22 and that thing was indestructible.

If it will shoot CB's and cycle it will probably never fail to run with any ammo. You would think that a rifle that eats those things would eat it all....

I needed a good .22 rifle.....I'd been looking at the 572s but figured a semi auto would be a better option and I'd always missed the 550 I had when I was younger. With the amount of cash I was willing to part with, I feel blessed to have gotten such a sweet little gun.  I also had a Nylon 66 back in the day and while it was a very nice and a very light gun, I could never get used to those square sights.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

I needed a good .22 rifle.....I'd been looking at the 572s but figured a semi auto would be a better option and I'd always missed the 550 I had when I was younger. With the amount of cash I was willing to part with, I feel blessed to have gotten such a sweet little gun.  I also had a Nylon 66 back in the day and while it was a very nice and a very light gun, I could never get used to those square sights.

The plastic stock was ugly too on that nylon 66 rifle. Mine was broken and had a piece missing up there on that strange forearm. I taped  around the whole thing to keep stuff out of the hollow forend. I don't even remember the sights but I assume they were probably hideous.

I remember the ad for that rifle on the back of Boy's Life Magazine when they first came out. It had some sharpsooting bratwurst sitting on a pile of little wood blocks he shot out of the air with a 66. He shot a bazillion in a row without a miss or malfunction.The new rifles came with a wood block that guy had shot. I thought that was so cool. I really wanted one of those rifles.

Whenever someone talks about those nylon 66 Remingtons it takes me right back to the day I saw them in that ad. I was probably about 15. It is strange what we remember so vividly after all the years. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×