Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Ron

Monsoon Critters from the Dubyahburg Golden Triangle

These guys were in our back yard at the waterhole we maintain for the critters that live with us...Seems like the really good gold areas attract the Javalinas.... Cheers Unc

• Like 4

Didn't see any here this Spring.  Normally they come thru here heading for high ground and cooler temps.   They don't play well with dogs.

• Like 1

If ya'll keep the water supplied I bet they will become loyal patrons. Ha! Gotta love the wildlife!

Thats pretty cool Ron, Your own wild life viewing area. :)
Tom H.

Yes, our little water hole just outside my office window regularly brings in dozens of quail, coyotes, bobcats, deer, dove, a huge red racer snake, hawks, many different smaller birds, cottontails, jackrabbits, 3 different roadrunners and now the javalina...The show goes on all day long, every day....Fun!  Cheers, Unc

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Yep, had a watering station here for over 20 some years.   You don't need to feed the critters if they know of a   water hole that never goes dry.  Seen just about every bird there is here in New Mexico.  We have permanent resident Quail, Doves and piles of other critters..  Go through a 40lb sack of cracked corn about every month. 

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Yes, our little water hole just outside my office window regularly brings in dozens of quail, coyotes, bobcats, deer, dove, a huge red racer snake, hawks, many different smaller birds, cottontails, jackrabbits, 3 different roadrunners and now the javalina...The show goes on all day long, every day....Fun!  Cheers, Unc

Probably would see a lot more if you had a night vision camera...or one of those cameras like Adam has that triggers when there is movement. Just dont set it so sensitive that you have 5000 pics of quail. I know a guy that did that :ROFL:

Tom H.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I learned not to feed the critters because that brings in extra rats and that brings in the rattlers in numbers...Cheers, Unc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yea, we had some pack rats but they were dispatched via Victor Traps.  Funny thing about the Rattlers here.  Everyone around us has had issues with them but never seen a one on our property over the years.  I think it's because of the Critters we keep.  Dogs and Chickens..    Not even at the water hole.  Seen more then a Few Gopher Snakes at the water.  Emmmm They Eat Rattlers. 

Yup, Ron, I totally agree.  We are very careful not to put any food out.  The various types of rats, gophers and ground squirrels can be quite destructive.  We maintain a solar powered recirculating fountain in our cactus garden and, like you, we observe a remarkable variety of wildlife during the days while our three dogs patrol our property.  But at night we bring the dogs in due to mountain lions who come down from the mountain.  They have attacked a neighboring dude ranch several times, mauling a number of horses.