Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nugget Shooter

Need Some Help with Odd Find

Hello All, I have found a strange "Rock" and at first wrote it off and set it outside, but now I am thinking I need more opinions before just tossing it in the rock pile. The rust "spots" are all nodules of very magnetic iron and the filed off grey area is not as magnetic. It came from near my home near the Wickenburg Meteorite strewn field and has the same black grey interior, but the Wickenburg has no globs of iron mixed in. Thing is although I thought it likely some weird slag I now find myself curious and seeking a slag or? opinion from you with more knowledge in this area. It weighs just over 10 pounds and is about the size (or a bit larger) of a softball.

Iron ore of some sort?

Slag?

WTF?

Meteorite?

IMG_5493[1].JPG

IMG_5494[1].JPG

IMG_5495[1].JPG

IMG_5496[1].JPG

IMG_5497[1].JPG

IMG_5498[1].JPG

IMG_5499[1].JPG

Yo Billy ...That doesn't look anything like the Wickenburg Meteorite ... Here's a look at some others:  Cheers, Unc

Wickenburg Meteorites.jpg

WM1Cut.jpg

WM2Find.jpg

WM2Studio.jpg

WM4a.jpg

WMNearOne Oz NugInHand.jpg

WMNearOne Oz NugStudio.jpg

• Like 2

Ron I found a verified iron nickel 18 ozer, out by Aguila Az in a throw out pile. and I saw a very brite single fall near congress back in the 90's. but I have to say Bill it looks very terrestrialized. if it is a meteorite its been in the ground a long time imo. but I wouldn't commit it to the rock garden just yet without more testing.
AzNuggetBob

4 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Ron I found a verified iron nickel 18 ozer, out by Aguila Az in a throw out pile. and I saw a very brite single fall near congress back in the 90's. but I have to say Bill it looks very terrestrialized. if it is a meteorite its been in the ground a long time imo. but I wouldn't commit it to the rock garden just yet without more testing.
AzNuggetBob

I agree. If it was found in an area near a mine, I might lean towards it being man-made. If it was found in the desert far from any mines, I might lean towards it being a meteorite. But regardless, it needs to be checked out further.

looks like a big old chunk of Galena. Bust it up 

I dont know about busting it up but I agree about the possibility of galena. AzNuggetBob

Posted (edited)

It sure does not look like a meteorite on the surface but I suppose sooner or later they all stop looking like meteorites. It is not iron ore if those are free iron flecks. It looks pretty dense to be slag. Galena is easily discernable from iron flecks. Under a loupe you can tell a lot more about composition and silica content. That will be a pretty good indicator of how it came to be. 

Grind a big pretty window and polish the scratches out so you can get a really good look at the matrix. See how hard the metal inclusions are and what the constituents in the matrix are. Look at the weathering process by studying the cortex and comparing it to the interior. Dab a little acid on a spot and blow some oxygen over it and watch the change. Hit it with an XRF gun and see if it has nickel. You can probably tell instinctively if the density is up there in the proper range but if you have exhausted all other tests then get some of that action. Any rock that passes one step is worth taking to the next. Even if it is just for the hell of it. If it passes all of these tests then you will have an earth rock that no one can prove is not a meteorite!

I think it will turn out to be an artifact but if it has free metallic iron flecks in it you can't just stop there.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1

OK guys, thanks for the input and will grind on it some since no one screamed "Stop it is worth millions" I learned my lesson at Gold Basin (bet you too Nugget Bob) throwing away the hundreds of nasty hot rocks that plagued us in the gold nugget patches :25r30wi: They turned out to be the Gold Basin Meteorite. Thinking no on Galena and I have found lots of it and this is different (or I haven't seen this type) Back in a few with a window.... Big one like Bedrock Bob asked for... 

Very hard and did not like grinding, ground and sanded a bit and I am still confused a bit on actual ID.... BUT.... did a streak test and dark gray/black soooooo terrestrial likely eh?

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG