Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eannis6

Is this a trace amount of gold?

Hello everyone, I am very new to your forum! I enjoy various Internet forums however, including arrowhead and fossil forums. Anyway, I was wondering if you all could tell me what this gold colored material is on this stone I found. Is this a little gold, pyrite, or something else? Thanks!

E32DC542-8753-4AE9-B9F1-53AC8EB0FA60.jpeg

9E8F6425-CFA0-4B4D-B45C-44735AA0DBBB.jpeg

07A8D5D9-4A12-4C15-876E-4C612BB288EC.jpeg

NOT GOLD.  

7 minutes ago, homefire said:

NOT GOLD.  

Thanks homefire, what is it?

Calcopryite probably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Easiest way to tell its not gold is take a pin to it and if it crushes, not gold, and if it is slightly malleable, possibly.  Another way to tell for sure is to crush it to dirt and pan it.  My samples I take I crush in a mortar and pestle and then pan it.  Every once in a while a minute speck of gold comes out.  Mostly I just get plenty of exercise.

Definitely does not look like gold.

• Thanks 1

On specks as small as you have in that rock it will be hard to test the possible specks with a pin with any accuracy or even trying to crush them, a tell tale sign if it's possible gold is to look at the specks in bright sunlight, and then while still looking at the specks shade them with your hand, if possible gold they will look very much the same in the shade as in the sunlight, if pyrite or chalcopyrite the specks will not look the same and will most likely appear to be gray to brassy in color, gold has a golden glow all of it's own in bright light or shade, if the speck changes color/golden glow at all most likely not gold.

• Thanks 1

Well, whether the "gold" is chalcopyrite, pyrite or some other sulphide, it could still carry a very small trace amount of gold in it. You'd have to have an assay done on it and that would destroy the specimen. Best to enjoy it as is.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Old Indian Trick.   Lick it.  Smell It.  If it has the smell of sulfur it's Pyrite.   

Edited by homefire
  • Thanks 1

You all have helped me very much. I will try all that you have mentioned. I also believe I may try to get further into this hobby when I have the time. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 9:54 AM, homefire said:

NOT GOLD.  

If it WERE gold, it wouldn't be just a "trace" amount.....it would be very high grade ore...