Nugget Shooter Forums
Greg L

Circular non river rock

This one seems to well shaped to be natural, not smooth like creek worn.

96207DF8-31F8-4EDF-AEAE-C902D50227F7.jpeg

697A4C0E-0C1C-44F7-9101-F7C3718891F2.jpeg

4E0A98F3-E0B9-488B-8A75-FCC2741DAADB.jpeg

I've got a question for you. It may seem silly at first, but will make sense once I explain. 

Where are the bones?

The artifacts you find all the time seem to cover every inch of the earth. For so many to exist, there must have been billions and billions of people around the globe creating these things, yet the only evidence of their existence is these stones. there should be human skeletons everywhere. There should be remains of the things they ate. There should be evidence of their bodily functions. Yet, there is nothing other than these rocks.

Where are the bones?

• Like 1

Very good point and I think what I am hunting are in fact burial grounds of some sort but I’m far too chicken to go digging after them. I don’t even think they like me playing with the rocks. 

Not sure if you're showing a fine or inviting opinion.  The round rock be natural, could be man made.  The "burial Grund" to me looks like a rock that was deposited there fairly recently, probably older than the surrounding trees, but not much.  My guess is you could walk uphill and see where it fell from.  The tunnel in the rock looks like a animal hole.

• Like 2

There is no scale but that thing is huge, had to be a glacial deposit. Definitely an animal hole now that’s why I stayed out.

I found one like that the other day. Only it was much rounder and about 6" in diameter. It was, like yours, granite

Living in AZ, I do not see many glacier moved rocks anymore.  I seem to remember them always being rounded like a river rock, but that one is a little sharp and kind of looks like it was placed there recently, not aeons ago.  There's very few places in AZ where the rock cobbles are rounded.  Most here are sharp and broken.  It's really odd after growing up in New England where all the rocks were rounded by glaciers or streams.

Anyway, you know your local geology much better than I.

Thanks wasn’t sure of material thought quartzite. I don’t really know squat about geology chrisski. That is on what some call a rock pile site, many other cool rocks around, and like I said much bigger than looks in pic. 

BA5D8C75-BA5D-4B6A-AC1B-3F768189F317.jpeg

BBCBFDBE-F75C-4C3D-B9AE-98AC0E590094.jpeg

That boulder looks like its downhill roll might have been stopped by the trees.  And I bet Chrisski is right, that you could find a place uphill where it fits like a puzzle.  Ice is a mighty powerful force when water works its way into cracks. 

That first boulder site had a good brush fire this spring exposing a lot not usually visible which contributes to the newer look, should have mentioned. Makes for great hunting.

That’s where I work, different site. Call it “sleeping dragon.”

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do, Greg?  I mean, besides sneaking rocks into the house when your wife isn't looking? 

Golf course management, lots of time to poke around when no ones looking.

• Like 1

Would compare to being a rancher in your area as developed as everything is around here. It’s the best I can do for now but when I retire I want to head for the woods..

• Like 1

Some of the round rocks my wife and I have picked up...... One on top was the latest.

round rocks.jpg

Dang , she get A Round, eaa?