Nugget Shooter Forums
Hank

Help needed, is this a potential stony-iron (pallasite) meteorite

Hello everyone. if anyone with experienced knowledge of meteorites can provide insight as to if this is a potential meteorite that would be amazing. I’ve done a bit of research and from what I’ve determined, it passes all the home tests and definitely fits into the iron meteorite classification. However, after carefully analyzing this rock, I did notice yellowish-gold markings on its outer surface from which could potential be olivine. As everyone knows, stony-iron meteorites are from the boundary of an asteroid core and it’s rocky mantle. That would explain the fact that it has two distinguishable crusts. One that is the mantle, and a thin black fusion crust from the fall to earth. Any help is appreciated!

226F0001-0032-4970-B78F-6882FBC8ECEF.jpeg

94450C9C-E1A1-4487-AADB-E55088476F36.jpeg

622D2E92-DAA7-4570-AE87-92CC117C5F9A.jpeg

40224CF4-E86C-4F28-B423-BA1B9E791DD2.jpeg

AE91775D-7ED1-48F2-8BAC-741699963499.jpeg

That is not a pallasite unfortunately. It almost looks like slag or some metallic industrial byproduct. 

• Like 1

How are you so difinitive that is not?

Posted (edited)

I think this picture says it all, you can see sand embedded in what I believe to be a by product of casting. A pallasite looks very different.

Screenshot_20180628-103634.png

Edited by Rocky

Sorry bro,

That's definitely no meteorite. Keep looking though.

This is a sliced and polished pallasite from Brahin, Belarus.

IMAG2743~2.jpg

• Like 2

So what are the reasons why it is not, just curious?

9 hours ago, Hank said:

So what are the reasons why it is not, just curious?

You take really good photos and I appreciate that, you can see well in the details what the object is and isn't. The third photo down of the broken face, if you click the picture and zoom in you can see tons of vesicles, vesicles don't occur in iron or Stoney iron meteorites. There are no olivine crystals present in your object, olivine crystals are a defining feature of pallasite meteorites, I think you're mistaken those yellowish spots for olivine, I pretty sure those are all rust stains. There are large broken faces on your object leaving behind a grainy/granular texture, irons never appear this way.