Nugget Shooter Forums

Going for Meds to Mexico Made a Side trip to the  Tres Hermanas Mtns for like a half hour walk about.  No Detector.  Spotted this puppy in a washout.   Nothing Special but you don't find this stuff all the time in these parts ether. 

Cell Phone Camera's SUCK. 

Beryl.jpg

Beryla.jpg

• Like 6

Cool!

There is some of that over here. I have not found any with a nice point like loose though. There is a huge pegmatite not too far away that has a bunch of it, but you have to chip them out.

Pretty stuff polished up. :thumbsupanim

Yep.  The Black has no real value.   Found these nodules too.   Not sure what they are at this time.

RoseQuartzNodules.jpg

RoseQuartzNodulesa.jpg

• Like 2

Strange looking. They kind of look like the silica left over after the feldspar in granite decomposes. They are very large for that though...so IDK.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Cool!

There is some of that over here. I have not found any with a nice point like loose though. There is a huge pegmatite not too far away that has a bunch of it, but you have to chip them out.

Pretty stuff polished up. :thumbsupanim

Someone found a 3 ft long beryl crystal in LSD somewhere and supposedly it was sold for $50,000. This must have happened in the 90's.

There's also black schorl in LSD but nothing  big has been found to the best of my knowledge.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Someone found a 3 ft long beryl crystal in LSD somewhere and supposedly it was sold for $50,000. This must have happened in the 90's.

There's also black schorl in LSD but nothing  big has been found to the best of my knowledge.

WOW...what a gift from mother nature :WOW:  

Homefire  I think any day you can "eyeball" a keeper is a good day! 

Posted (edited)

Well dang. Never had this much truble finding stuff. Found this Photo but all roads to info seem to be dead.    https://www.google.com/search?q=Geyserite+Chalcedony+(Var:+Carnelian)+nodule+photo&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI36Lvt_bbAhWh6YMKHTV2A7sQsAQIKw&biw=1361&bih=629#imgrc=ys3Uwy7jI9USOM:    

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Randall said:

WOW...what a gift from mother nature :WOW:  

Obviously it wasn't gem quality but any 3 ft long crystal is noteworthy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

The schorl I've run across has been fairly small, maybe 1" tops.

A 3' foot crystal is quite the find. :party-smiley-027[1]:

The visitors center in Florissant Colorado has a smoky grey quartz that is right around 6' tall that was found locally. It is impressive in person.

All kinds of treasures out there waiting to be found. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, homefire said:

Hmmm...any hot springs in that area? I had to laugh at "geyserite" from Yellowstone though:25r30wi:

1 hour ago, ArcticDave said:

The schorl I've run across has been fairly small, maybe 1" tops.

A 3' foot crystal is quite the find. :party-smiley-027[1]:

The visitors center in Florissant Colorado has a smoky grey quartz that is right around 6' tall that was found locally. It is impressive in person.

All kinds of treasures out there waiting to be found. :)

Schorl is an iron rich variety of Tourmaline. Tourmaline is Sodium Aluminum Boron Silicate.  The crystal Homefire found very much resembles Tourmaline.

Beryl is Beryllium Aluminum Silicate. I have never even heard there might be black Beryl but there is quite a bit of gray massive, non crystalline, material due to impurities and inclusions of non-beryl material.

Both Beryl and Tourmaline are cyclosilcates but they are very different minerals. Their crystal structures are entirely different, Beryl crystallizes in the Hexagonal system and Tourmaline crystallizes in the Trigonal system.

If you look at the crystal forms and pictures at those mineral links I think you will see that Homefire's crystal doesn't look anything like a Beryl crystal but it does very much appear to be Schorl Tourmaline.

• Like 3