Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey everybody! My question of the day is I was out to Morristown yesterday. Got out of jeep to put up my flag,looked down an here lies a bullet casing and the tail of a shotgun shell. The shotgun shell has the markings ,Winchester,No 12,Repeater, supposedly that goes back a bit. The other I can't figure? It' got F A, on the top,2  ,11 along the bottom and a ring part way down the casing.It has a diam.of .478,if anybody has a clue it be cool to know! THANKS and happy hunting!!!

• Like 1

The "FA" is Frankford Arsenal, Philadelphia.  I have no clue about the 211, or if I know what it means, I've forgotten, which is the same as never having known, right?  The shotshell, if it has "Made in USA" in tiny font is likely 1921 or later, if no "Made in USA," then likely pre-1921.  Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Photos would be very telling and helpful to get a proper ID on what you found, but from just what you have told us I would say the casing "could" be a 45-70, which would have a casing diameter of .480, the FA as Saul has mentioned should be Frankford Arsenal, if this is indeed a old casing there's a slight possibilty that the 2 and 11 could be a date code, as on older casing Frankford Arsenal indicate the date with a simple numerical stamp, in this case possibily Feb, 1911, but this would usually be stamped as 02-11, but there is a few that were only stamped as an example in this case 2 11 whereas there is no 0 in the month and no - between the month and year.

Without photos this is all speculation on my part, it could also be a .454 casing which is a modern casing, accurate measurements of all portions of the casing would also be a great help trying to ID it, casing length, rim diameter, rim thickness, etc.

I haven't done any checking/research on the shotgun piece, but a photo of it would be also required to properly ID it.

• Like 3

Sorry I didn' post the pictures earlier! And thanks you guys!!!

15300098976611675726462.jpg

• Like 1

came across this site and love going to ghost towns but would never venture into a mine but enjoy detecting around old sites for gold nuggetts or hidden cache,i will leave all other things as they were but thats me,     http://www.ripleysghosttowns.com/listings.html

• Like 1

. 45 Colt long

• Like 3

Thanks everyone! Hope to see ya out somewhere!!! Happy Hunting!!!