Nugget Shooter Forums

Heading back up to the campground to hunt for coins .

Calling for a high temp of 84 ....works for me.

Later

• Like 4

Good luck, hope you find some silver.

Made it back.....no silver .  had a good time but decided to leave when I saw the bear track in the place I was hunting.

I will go again but not alone .

101_0076.JPG

101_0062.JPG

• Like 3

I wouldn’t sweat the bears it’s the mountain lions that will get ya. There are bears all over a couple of my claims high up in the mountains of southern Az and they keep their distance. 

• Like 2

I too wouldn't worry much about bears -- they're generally fairly peaceful critters, as long as a guy isn't stupid about leaving food and trash around, and as long as you don't bother young ones.  People are more troublesome.  So are yellow jackets.

• Like 3

I concur with DP and Saul.

Just one bit of advice though, I also agree that you should have someone else with you....BUT just make sure it's someone you can outrun and you'll have no issues with bears or mountian lions!!!! :brows: :4chsmu1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It would have to be my dad, he is in a wheel chair.........

I had my .357 but the last thing I wanted was to confront a critter......so it was easest for me to just go.

• Like 1

Yep, always travel the back country with someone older and slower than you (it's getting harder and harder for me to find such people these days -- I guess it's about my turn to be sacrificed to the next bear or nest of mad bees).

Actually, the true value of a working partner isn't realized until you break a leg or drop a snowmachine through weak ice. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, azdigger said:

It would have to be my dad, he is in a wheel chair.........

I had my .357 but the last thing I wanted was to confront a critter......so it was easest for me to just go.

Extra caution makes a ton of sense, since you have your dad to think about. 

azdigger,

Ive lived in the southwest my entire life and spent most of my time in the back country. I wouldn't sweat the animals, in the past 20 years I've only had one encounter with a mountain lion where I had to shoot at it. Luckily it bolted at the first warning shot. But for the most part the animals keep their distance, the only thing that I really keep an eye out for is bees. I've had two friends get swarmed pretty good while out hiking. I live within seven miles of the border fence and have more issues with people (some are armed) than animals. Get out and enjoy yourself learning your new detector and don't sweat the small stuff. 

• Like 2

Not sweating small stuff , just the heat..

a couple years ago I was out by an old mine, a ground squirrel ran around the dirt pile, I pointed my rifle at him and fussed because he startled me.....no sooner got the words out of my mouth  and a full grown loin came around the pile....before I could get my rifle up to shoot he was gone (I had a tag). did not know they was that fast....glad he thought I was too big to eat.

I learned to very aware of my surroundings. I watch every place I go now.

• Like 3

Desert pilot

You dont have to worry about the mountain lions unless your wearing spandex according to the latest statistics in California. AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spandex and big cats are a bad combination. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ya I heard about it a few years ago. apparently they had a few attacks on people riding mountain bikes and what they concluded is it may be the black spandex they were wearing triggered the attacks? Im going to stick with my Camo.

Thanks Dan that was intended as a little bit of a joke. :D

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Ya I heard about it a few years ago. apparently they had a few attacks on people riding mountain bikes and what they concluded is it may be the black spandex they were wearing triggered the attacks? Im going to stick with my Camo.

Thanks Dan that was intended as a little bit of a joke. :D

AzNuggetBob

😁

Only seen one mountain lion since I moved to AZ.  It was at Lynx creek and was bolting across the paved road to avoid traffic.  Except for the rattler, I kicked at night, never feared the wildlife.  He feared me more and slithered away.  I had boots and snake guards on.  First time I ever wore them and the only time I ever needed them.

I hear the National Park campgrounds are closed.